The Long-Awaited Ford CP4 Solution - S&S Ford 6.7L CP4 to DCR Conversion

Morgan

Established Member
Sounds great. I definitely had fear of my 6.7 having a fuel issue and costing a fortune to repair.

This kit/pump offers more flow and isn’t priced too bad.

For a target MSRP of $1,990 USD, the S&S Diesel Motorsport Ford 6.7L CP4 to DCR Pump Conversion can save Ford Super Duty truck owners $10,000 to $15,000 in fuel system repairs, and impart peace of mind knowing that their daily workhorse isn’t going to lay down on them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's a great price, I thought the CP3 conversion on my dmax was pricey initially, but a 50 state legal kit with a pump is only $2600.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm assuming with this kit I could remove the disaster kit. Which would be nice because then I could run the Mishimoto catch can instead.

beau t

Established Member

SID297

Thanks for posting, i have heard (and seen) the disaster from the cp4 coming apart and never would consider a newer truck because of it guess this fixes that concern.​

96dreamer

Established Member
Trying to decide how necessary this really is. I've heard less than 1% of the pumps fail. My truck has less than 60k miles and has additive used since new. $2k is a lot to drop on preventative maintenance

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
On the diesel Wrangler, the thought is to avoid letting fuel level drop below 1/4 tank. Aeration is the concern with these pumps.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm very attentive to the fuel level in the truck, also try and only use high turnover fuel stations, treatment every tank and fuel filters every other oil change. I try to treat a 1/4 tank as empty in all the vehicles. I like to think I shouldn't have any issues but it still picks at my brain. I should just stay off the forums

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven an F250 once, while my 350 was under the knife, and the fuel system went out. It was my salesman's personal truck and I'll never forget the shock when he told me how much it was gonna cost him to fix it at dealer costs

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
All of our f250s are 6.7s and we have had numerousssss fuel issues..

But a lot of the idiots run it low on fuel alllll the time

tistan

Established Member
I've driven an F250 once, while my 350 was under the knife, and the fuel system went out. It was my salesman's personal truck and I'll never forget the shock when he told me how much it was gonna cost him to fix it at dealer costs
So he didn't buy his own extended warranty?

Joking aside, how bad is the problem? I live in Colorado now and n/a gas powered trucks are just not cutting it for horsepower. I want to go back to an f250. My problem with gas engine is that even the 7.3 is that it is going to lose 20% hp at my elevation. I can add a $9,000 supercharger, but by the time I do that I don't have the same factory warranty and it cost the same as getting the diesel, and make less torque. I plan to trade in every 60-100k miles. Will I have multiple problems in this mileage range?

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt you’ll have issues at that mileage, especially if you maintain it, and (for the diesel Wrangler) don’t run the fuel too low. A good rule of thumb is to fill up at 1/4 tank.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
So he didn't buy his own extended warranty?

Joking aside, how bad is the problem? I live in Colorado now and n/a gas powered trucks are just not cutting it for horsepower. I want to go back to an f250. My problem with gas engine is that even the 7.3 is that it is going to lose 20% hp at my elevation. I can add a $9,000 supercharger, but by the time I do that I don't have the same factory warranty and it cost the same as getting the diesel, and make less torque. I plan to trade in every 60-100k miles. Will I have multiple problems in this mileage range?
i didn't ask, but i suppose not lol. he got it in on trade from a farmer who took good care of it, had 175k miles on her but you couldn't tell externally

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I always hear about people being scared of the CP4 but I'm not sure I've ever seen someone post a failure in the numerous Super Duty/6.7 Facebook groups that I'm in.

*knocks on wood*

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I always hear about people being scared of the CP4 but I'm not sure I've ever seen someone post a failure in the numerous Super Duty/6.7 Facebook groups that I'm in.

*knocks on wood*

those groups tend to have more enthusiasts than the general public. Enthusiast way more likely to keep the water drained and additives in every tank.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

*knocks on wood*
we had one bite the dust in our 2015 service truck around 160k if I remember correctly. Mechanic religiously checks the water separator and it's almost always basically empty (we fuel on site at our place) but had not been using additives. He probably does end up below 1/4 tank on a regular basis just due to the length of runs he has to make some days.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member

*knocks on wood*

My friend has a Titan XD and his fuel pump came apart and destroyed his fuel system. He had a friend hook him up at dealer cost and it was still several thousands of dollars, like $8k. It was something stupid like $14k for a walk in customer. I’m not sure if they use the cp4 too but it sure sounds like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My friend has a Titan XD and his fuel pump came apart and destroyed his fuel system. He had a friend hook him up at dealer cost and it was still several thousands of dollars, like $8k. It was something stupid like $14k for a walk in customer. I’m not sure if they use the cp4 too but it sure sounds like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I believe they do but I also think that like either the Dodge or GM trucks, they don’t use a lift pump. I could be wrong. From what little I’ve ever read about the CP4 issues, aeration of the fuel seems to be a primary concern

Users who are viewing this thread