The last of the Mustang Cobras...

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Originally posted by Ghoust
rumors, rumors, rumors, I will have to see it to believe it...

Agreed... It's too far out to tell, but they sure seem to be giving that Shelby Cobra a lot of press for it just to fade away as a concept. If they do produce it, isn't that car supposed to be in the 80K-100K range? That leaves a pretty big gap to be filled by some other car(s).

JamesPhipps

Time to compete TOTALLY with the first sports car the CORVETTE as well as the price ranges . These new cars are going to soar to compete with other luxury models of today ,but I will be content with my 03 regardless of any new models.

frank3si

Established Member
>>>I will be content with my 03 regardless of any new models

I agree, 2BNVD! And that was kind of the point of this post - that if this winds up being the case, with the "Mustang Cobra" name going away as SVT's flagship in place of other Mustang heritage-based names, then our cars have become even more significant milestone vehicles in the great history of the Mustang.

Frank

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Originally posted by Ghoust
rumors, rumors, rumors, I will have to see it to believe it...until then, i have no comment on this.
I agree with you too. I guess we'll all find out when it actually happens. For now, I'm going to enjoy my current cobra, and if its the last, so be it. Only makes our cars more special.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
WHO KNOWS ?

I am mixed on this subject. For one, if they don't make another "SVT Cobra" our cars will be even more rare and possibly more valuable. However, I will be disappointed not seeing the SVT brand continue.

On the flip side, it is exciting to see what the future holds for the Ford Mustang niche lines. The Shelby 350/500 rumors are exciting as well as the 06 SVT Cobra based on the 05 Mustang platform.

The bottom line is I am a Mustang lover who is crazy about my latest and greatest Mustang, the all powerful 03 Cobra. But will this be my last Mustang, probably not but the truth is I hope to be able to keep my 03 and add another horse to my stable in the years to come.

:beer:

Tim03cobra

Established Member
Does anyone remember the 86/87 Grand National? The 03/04 Cobra is starting to look like It's taking the same path to greatness.:) Last of the titans. Only time will tell.

dolphinron

Established Member
If this was the end of the Cobra as we know it, Ford would be taking advantage of it and advertising that. Then the dealers could really get that markup as people scramble to snatch them up.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Our local dealer told me that they were sent a letter that basically said SVT would be "black" for 2005 and come back with a new Lightning and Cobra (or maybe they said Mustang based product, but I don't recall) for 2006.

I doubt the dealers know if the Cobra name is being dropped or not.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this, as it seems to me that if they bring out a 350 and a 500, the 500 may be priced completely out of the market. This is with the thought that a 350 will cost about as much or a bit more than our current CObras. I really like my Cobra, but if it had been $50,000, well, I doubt I 'd be driving it.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
It sure doesn't seem like a very smart thing to have too many different mustang variants. I already feel like with the V6, GT, Mach 1, and Cobra that they are pushing the viable limits of marketability. I think one model about the GT is probably the best plan, since they currently cant even sell the Cobras with the Mach 1 eating up its market share.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
The People who need to know what the future holds already do. Dealer principals and GM's. I would find it hard to believe with the sucess and growth of SVT that it would just stop. If you look at the history of SVT and SVE i think that any doubts to what the future is, will be answered.

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I dont think the "mustang cobra" nameplate is a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination...especially with hundreds of '03 models still sitting on dealer lots.

Of COURSE SVT is not going anywhere, and is successful and strong, but that's not what this thread is dealing with. SVT can easily be the entity that offers a Shelby 350 Mustang, and axes the Mustang Cobra in favor of the shelby moniker.

frank3si

Established Member
>>>Of COURSE SVT is not going anywhere, and is successful and strong, but that's not what this thread is dealing with.

Precisely, AtomHeart! They'll still be SVT vehicles, but just a different name...

>>>I already feel like with the V6, GT, Mach 1, and Cobra that they are pushing the viable limits of marketability.

Funny you should mention that - one of the brochures I picked up at the auto show was Porsche. In the catalog I counted nine different variations on the 911!

Frank

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by frank3si
>>>Of COURSE SVT is not going anywhere, and is successful and strong, but that's not what this thread is dealing with.

Precisely, AtomHeart! They'll still be SVT vehicles, but just a different name...

>>>I already feel like with the V6, GT, Mach 1, and Cobra that they are pushing the viable limits of marketability.

Funny you should mention that - one of the brochures I picked up at the auto show was Porsche. In the catalog I counted nine different variations on the 911!

Frank
Exactly! SVT will probably be around but the product line could very well change. For example, an SVT SUV or SVT full-size . The real questions are whether (A) there will be a Shelby version of the Mustang such as a GT-350 and/or GT-500, and (B) if so, whether Ford will market an SVT Mustang Cobra to go up those new models. I think it will be one or the other but not both. But I'm only speculating. None of us will know exactly what Ford will ultimately do for some time. Until then we can have fun with all the rumors. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread