The last of the Mustang Cobras...

frank3si

Established Member
If this was posted here before and I missed it I apologize, but I was just at the Philadelphia Auto Show. I was speaking with a gentleman from Ford's Product Development department, who was standing next to an '05 Mustang GT. We got to talking and he stated that the '03/04 Mustang Cobras will be the end of the line for that model, as the new SVT products will be badged as first a GT350 followed by a Shelby-endorsed GT500. As I had heard elsewhere, the motor on the GT350 is supposedly supercharged and in the 400-HP range.

So, if this all plays out in this manner, our cars will be both the first of the supercharged Mustangs and the last of the SVT Mustang Cobras.

Frank

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Talk about a short lived life.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
YEah.

According to a few interviews I've read with SVT/Ford brass, the whole SVT line is going to be targeted to a higher price tag market. They mentioned a Lincoln SVT badged product also.

No doubt killer vehicles to come, just not sure if there's enough $$ left in my account once they are released cause I'm not giving up my 04 mystichrome!

blk96SVT

Established Member
Ummmmm...... I don't think so, 2006 is the next model year for the Cobra.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
With the recent talk of the Shelby Cobra making a comeback I was wondering when they would steal that Cobra moniker back.

PC Doc

Established Member
Is there any real proof that there will even be a 2006 Cobra???

Edit: Mustang Cobra, not Shelby Cobra...

Last edited:

Established Member
Ha. SVT won't give up the Cobra. Don't worry about it. Also, it hasn't been a short run. It's been eleven years...

eddy z

Established Member
i saw on a car show on cable. that therewill be two models of super cobras. one a svt and an other the shelby version. what is being worked out behind the scenes at ford is which model will get the most horsepower over the other.. they mentioned both models would be badged as an 06.. question is price and hp ratings for each model at this time. be ready.. something special is around the bend. in the meantime, enjoy what we have.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
The saying about there are always faster and better cars doesnt always hold true.. We havnt seen this kind of mustang since the late 60's... Even if they come up with a new car, if it looks anything like the new Mustang GT I will puke all over myself. I love what I got, as we all should. Our cars are very special, and not like handitard special either..

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Originally posted by 103
Ha. SVT won't give up the Cobra. Don't worry about it. Also, it hasn't been a short run. It's been eleven years...

103, your in MMJax in Jacksonville, Florida. Who the heck is driving a riced out, white cobra or gt. Its got the fast and furious long sticker of the guy on the side, the mythology guy pointing towards the front of the car, and white lens covers on the rear break lights etc. The double wing on it and more.

I saw that thing today. Is that one of your guys?

Last edited:

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
With whipple already leaking that there blowers will be on the 2006 Cobra, I cant see them ending it now, but if so...it will make these cars value just go up!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
YEah.

According to a few interviews I've read with SVT/Ford brass, the whole SVT line is going to be targeted to a higher price tag market. They mentioned a Lincoln SVT badged product also.

No doubt killer vehicles to come, just not sure if there's enough $$ left in my account once they are released cause I'm not giving up my 04 mystichrome!
You are correct. I had a discussion with my SVT manager a month ago about this. There was a Ford article that implied that SVT would not be doing another Cobra. Of course anything can happen and nothing is cast in stone, but with the signing on of Carrol Shelby and the reorganization of SVT I've expected (and still do) for a Shelby 350/500 to replace the Cobra. It would make no sense for them to do both. Time will tell. Until then we're going to hear all kinds of rumors. I don't care either way. I'm just going to enjoy my '03! :rockon:

03redfiresnake

Established Member
I saw a film clip, made by ford of the new GT, new mustang and a modern ac cobra, (looked awesome !). I'm guessing the cobra name will return to the 2 seater, and the svt/shelby mustangs to gt350 & gt500 shelbys. :beer: :beer: :beer:

akaeric

Established Member
They may have a Cobra R first the Mustange mag. shows a Mustamge with a V10 and they said it might be the next Cobra R. The new Mustanges by them self will have a higher price tag it will be treated like the T-Birds were. It's going to be a couple years before the Cobra comes out but there will be some specical Mustanges with SCs and higher HP.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
rumors, rumors, rumors, I will have to see it to believe it...until then, i have no comment on this.

frank3si

Established Member
I think what the Ford rep said just makes good business sense. The Cobra name goes back to the two-seater, and SVT can make a huge - and no doubt highly-publicized - splash with a new version Mustang. There's no question there will be an '06 SVT Mustang - what it will be called is another matter...

Frank

raiders03

Banned
SVT and Shelby will battle it out to make the most hp and have the most reasonable price. SVT is going to to be around for a long time. You can bet your balls on that!

StreetSnake

Established Member
Dont confuse the shelby Cobra with the SVT Cobra, the latest Car and Driver estimates the new shelby will ring in right around 100 grand, I dont think most of us on this forum are ready to plunk down 100 Gs, We are the market for the SVT group and you will see a Mustang Cobra in the fall of 05:beer: :beer:

UNDR PSI

Established Member
For the Shelby Cobra, the price target was stated as "under 100k", and they don't even know if that would be with the V10. If there is enough response to the car, it should be ready for 06. It uses a lot of parts from the GT. How are they going to bring out a Shelby Cobra for 100k with 600hp, and charge 150k for the 500hp GT? They both have history?! You can't use that as a price factor. :shrug:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Consider yourself luckly if that is the case of getting an 03/04 Cobra. Lord knows what the future holds. You could be an F-Body fan and get a GTO which is a cavalier on steroids at best!! Unfortunately, the new GTO sucks some serious balls. No competition. Just remember the Cobra has unlimited potential. It has only been out a year and 500 RWHP is no big deal now a days.

What other car has the potential of running 10's at 125+ with some bolt on's and a ported blower? Car is less than 35K.

I LOVE AMERICA and it's cars. They F'in ROCK!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread