The Day the Music Died - 56 Year Anniversary

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I didn't see anything about this on here recently so I thought I'd post something.

56 years ago tonight Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper (J P Richardson) played their last concert at the Surf Ballroom in Clearlake, IA. They chartered a plane shortly after midnight on Feb 3rd to their next stop in Fargo, ND but it crashed a few miles from the airport in Mason City, killing everyone on board. I've always been a big Buddy Holly fan even though I was born 20 years after he died. I've really been thinking about it today, as he was one of my dad's favorites, and he just passed away on Christmas Day. Buddy and my dad were born only 15 days apart in 1936. Buddy was such a big influence on rock and roll. If you haven't listened to much of his music, you should check it out.

Buddy Holly Lives

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I lived in Clear Lake 2 blocks away from the Surf Ballroom. They always have a winter dance concert in which they celebrate his music. A very cool place to see a concert.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
On this day last year, I actually watched this documentary on this event:

[video=youtube;SvoFBssgHLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvoFBssgHLE[/video]

It's very interesting for a wide number of reasons.

Cool bonus fact, they played my home town 3 nights prior, a building that still stands today, and that I've seen a show or two in. In fact, I've even watched my grandpa sing on that state.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
On this day last year, I actually watched this documentary on this event:

[video=youtube;SvoFBssgHLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvoFBssgHLE[/video]

It's very interesting for a wide number of reasons.

Cool bonus fact, they played my home town 3 nights prior, a building that still stands today, and that I've seen a show or two in. In fact, I've even watched my grandpa sing on that state.

Just finished watching the documentary. Thanks for posting it.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I hate being "that guy," but their plane crashed on February 3rd. Either way, let's all enjoy this video :).

[video=youtube;WqukWXviyew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqukWXviyew[/video]

Last edited:

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Did you read what I posted? Either way, thanks for sharing the video.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very sad day. I was 10 years old at the time. I do remember the news about the crash and their deaths. Just watched the tribute. Very well done.

ssssnake

Established Member
Mr. McClean is still alive. Although I didn't listen to a lot of his music (I was 3 when he died), I know the importance of Holly's music and style, and I like his songs. I like Elvis Costello too, who's a little bit like Holly.

Users who are viewing this thread