The Caribbean Island talk thread

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
English speaking populace?

Not in the least. Yes they can speak English but they won’t. It’s French and if you don’t speak French they won’t really help you until you break out the cash or at least make an attempt to speak it.

It’s not that difficult now with the phones but this is another reason why I recommend Key West.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Not in the least. Yes they can speak English but they won’t. It’s French and if you don’t speak French they won’t really help you until you break out the cash or at least make an attempt to speak it.

It’s not that difficult now with the phones but this is another reason why I recommend Key West.
I had two semesters of French in college but haven't conversed in it since. Does Saint Barthelemy take U.S. Dollars or do I have to do a currency exchange?

I have to renew my passport. Heard that is a brand new kind of shit show these days.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
I had two semesters of French in college but haven't conversed in it since. Does Saint Barthelemy take U.S. Dollars or do I have to do a currency exchange?

I have to renew my passport. Heard that is a brand new kind of shit show these days.
Everywhere takes US dollars. They welcome it but I highly recommend using your plastic to purchase everything except maybe giving a gratuity etc.

Your credit card will give you the best bang for the buck as far as the currency exchange rate. They use the Euro.

Just making an attempt to speak French will go a long way. When I traveled there I was with friends from Paris.
If I went into a shop or restaurant and tried to communicate it didn’t go well. I speak zero French but when my friend came in and took over it was night and day.
Prices miraculously came down. Best tables in the restaurants and other perks. But.
I would not let the language issue, deter me from going back. It is so easy to converse with somebody that does not speak English with a smart phone now. I do it all the time in South Florida with Spanish.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Everywhere takes US dollars. They welcome it but I highly recommend using your plastic to purchase everything except maybe giving a gratuity etc.

Your credit card will give you the best bang for the buck as far as the currency exchange rate. They use the Euro.

Just making an attempt to speak French will go a long way. When I traveled there I was with friends from Paris.
If I went into a shop or restaurant and tried to communicate it didn’t go well. I speak zero French but when my friend came in and took over it was night and day.
Prices miraculously came down. Best tables in the restaurants and other perks. But.
I would not let the language issue, deter me from going back. It is so easy to converse with somebody that does not speak English with a smart phone now. I do it all the time in South Florida with Spanish.
Thank you for the information.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Caribbean vacation is out for this year, but this thread is helping me plan a possible island vacation for 2025. (y)

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I've been to Antigua, St Lucia and Jamaica thus far. Heading to Barbados in December. Absolutely love the islands. Wife and I try to go at least once every couple of years. Usually book our trips at the end of current trips through Sandals. They do such a good job just letting you relax and forget the rest of the world, which is priceless to us since we live our life on the go between work and kids activities / sports. I should note we do not usually take the kids with us for the island trips. lol

My favorite thus far though has been St. Lucia. Water was a blue color I've seen no where else and the atmosphere there just seemed a little better than the other two locations we've been.

dwest731

Established Member
Anegada for the win, part of the BVIs with a population of only 200 locals. Very remote and secluded, we went to Tortola for the last leg of that trip last year. Highly recommend this place
IMG_3643.jpeg
IMG_3648.jpeg
IMG_3633.jpeg
IMG_3641.jpeg

VegasMichael

Established Member

I'll be honest, the one time I was in Key West was in 1993 and I was not impressed. The drive there from Miami was great but the destination...not so much.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
I'll be honest, the one time I was in Key West was in 1993 and I was not impressed. The drive there from Miami was great but the destination...not so much.
If you were looking for pristine beaches I am not surprised. There aren’t any.

But it has that Caribbean vibe anything goes feel with the exact same weather to boot, and all the creature comforts of America.

I’m sure it has changed a ton since you were there but you should try one of the islands before you go back there if you are looking for a beach vacation. Key West is more about hanging by the pools with a drink and then going out for a nice dinner and a great nightlife. Great food all day. Also great shopping if you are into that. We are.
Also, in Key West, I can work out every day. There are a few gyms that are decent. That’s not happening in the Caribbean and that is important to me.

Most of these Caribbean islands, you will not be comfortable going out at night off of resort property. Lots and lots of democrats. Trust me on that one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread