The "Black Ghost" scam

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
as a kid the 69 Camaro was my favorite. Chevy had so many cool bodies back then.
That's mine too! Will have one before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Good lord - passing on a CR500 to the grandsons. Preparing them for manhood.
That's the plan. Going to pass down some fossil-fuel burning fun!

U.M.

GotGrunt

Established Member
Keep in mind that cars weren't heavily modded back then. Most street racers were running around with nothing more than a set of headers and some carb jetting. Not like there was a bunch of 10-second cars prowling the streets back in the late 60's & early 70's.

U.M.

Detroit was a hotbed of street racing with a lot of incredibly fast cars roaming around. Here’s an article from 1976 showing some of the heavy hitters. Most of these money racers were running 10s or better.

Watch the video. Tony would disagree.
That’s right. The black ghost seems to be nothing but a crazy embellishment. There’s no way a stock hemi challenger loaded up with options “dominated Detroit street racing” as this hagerty article claims, that’s just a joke.

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m from SE Michigan, born and raised as well. The story is not new. Its decades old and generally speaking, if you spent anytime on Woodward or Telegraph you probably heard about it so to speak. Even 30-40 years later. Usually bits a pieces. My uncles and dad participated in those areas during the early to mid 70’s and knew about it.

From my understanding and what i heard over the years, it was a stop light car. He wasn’t setting up races. It was at random. Stop light to stop light. Yes there were some truly fast cars in Detroit during that time but the majority of the cars on the street doing random stop light to stop light races were not all 10 second cars. What made the car famous to my knowledge is the fact it was a black hemi car, it was supposedly drove by a cop and it beat 1-2 cars that up until that point were known to be pretty quick. I have no idea what they were. Then of course it would only pop up once in awhile. Point is, i think its been blown out of proportion to a degree. As in not completely fake, but not 100% accurate either. The car was also rumored to not be stock during that time period but returned to stock years later.

I think some are wayyyyyyyy over thinking this and really interpreting as if it was the fastest car in Detroit. I get as of late the story is being broadcasted everywhere in the collector car scene and may be embellished to a degree but the story has been around for decades prior to any of this. Its kinda crazy to me this story even got as big as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Detroit was a hotbed of street racing with a lot of incredibly fast cars roaming around. Here’s an article from 1976 showing some of the heavy hitters. Most of these money racers were running 10s or better.

That’s right. The black ghost seems to be nothing but a crazy embellishment. There’s no way a stock hemi challenger loaded up with options “dominated Detroit street racing” as this hagerty article claims, that’s just a joke.

In 1976 the NHRA Pro-Stock boys were just breaking into the high 8's with most cars averaging a tick over 9 seconds in the quarter mile. Anyone having a 10-second street car in '76 would be more than impressive.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the Challenger recently auctioned as the Black Ghost is probably not the car that was famous on Woodward back in the day.

U.M.

oldmachguy

Established Member
In 1976 the NHRA Pro-Stock boys were just breaking into the high 8's with most cars averaging a tick over 9 seconds in the quarter mile. Anyone having a 10-second street car in '76 would be more than impressive.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the Challenger recently auctioned as the Black Ghost is probably not the car that was famous on Woodward back in the day.

U.M.
Stock muscle cars were running low 14s to mid- high- 13s.

U.M.: Ask your brother if he knew Steve Lisk (had a 1970 Hemi Challenger, IIRC, that went 9.7x through the mufflers w.o. the juice). Or if he ever went in George DeLoren’s race engine shop.

Yeah, Dirks9901’s post above pretty much nails it. I think the rags and auctioneers are the ones over embellishing the story, not the owner (Qualls’ son).

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is the car at the auction looks like it cleaned up nice for "roached" car...

oldmachguy

Established Member
FWIW, my college roommate grew up on Woodward (and Telegraph, and I-96) in the early- to mid-70s. (His father was a Ford exec.) He does not remember this car or this story. And while he's sure the Qualls aren't making it up - the car, the light-to-light victories - it just wasn't as big of a boulder in that street racing scene as the auctioneers are making it out to be now.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I like the fact that:
1) Veteran that had a dream when he got out of the war
2) Purchased a very cool car and lived that dream
3) Still wanted to enjoy it but be responsible and not put his family at risk by losing his job. Didn’t sit around and smack talk.
4) Quietly raised a family and was a LEO.
5)Stored the car to someday give it away to his son.
6) Didn’t jabber all over facebook about it.
7) I also like the fact that his son could take pride in it and the connection to his father.

I didn’t like:
1) The fact the son sold the car for money. It comes up short of a “Field of Dreams” moment due to the son cashing out.

con_fuse9

Just relaying what my brother told me. Whether this car is the "Black Ghost" or not is debatable. However according to my bro there was a hemi car running around Detroit the locals referred to as the Black Ghost.

On a different but related note... Can someone tell me what kind of times an average Joe was running in his "street car" back in 1970? I know the factory "Pro-Stock" NHRA guys like Grumpy Jenkins were BARELY in the high 9's back then and that's on a prepped track with sticky tires and all the high-tech mods for the day.

So while today a 14-second hemi car does sound slow, all things are relative.

U.M.

Here's a couple bonus pics of my brother's RR & Cuda from back then.

View attachment 1794579View attachment 1794580View attachment 1794581

con_fuse9

In the 80s we where still buying old muscle cars. A stripped challenger with a professionally built 440 .590 lift solid flat tappet tunnel ram (remember those) torque converter and I thing 3.91 gears was a low 12 car on street tires 11s on slicks. And cracked the professionally built 727 when it pulled the wheels and came down hard. My budget GTO was a high 13 second car at just over 105mph. Car was full weight with fiberglass hood G60 bias ply tires. Car ran 14.2 when I holed the No1 piston. Octane was an issue.

C2tuck

Established Member
Yeah like you said hindsight is 20/20. Still cool to have owned those cars. Land yacht for sure!
Back in the 80's and to some degree the 90's muscle cars were still cheap and overlooked. I bought a clean 72 Chevelle (nonSS) for $3000 in 94 that I still have.

Let’s see some pics! Love Chevelles. Crazy what these old cars are bringing now days.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’m from SE Michigan, born and raised as well. The story is not new. Its decades old and generally speaking, if you spent anytime on Woodward or Telegraph you probably heard about it so to speak. Even 30-40 years later. Usually bits a pieces. My uncles and dad participated in those areas during the early to mid 70’s and knew about it.

From my understanding and what i heard over the years, it was a stop light car. He wasn’t setting up races. It was at random. Stop light to stop light. Yes there were some truly fast cars in Detroit during that time but the majority of the cars on the street doing random stop light to stop light races were not all 10 second cars. What made the car famous to my knowledge is the fact it was a black hemi car, it was supposedly drove by a cop and it beat 1-2 cars that up until that point were known to be pretty quick. I have no idea what they were. Then of course it would only pop up once in awhile. Point is, i think its been blown out of proportion to a degree. As in not completely fake, but not 100% accurate either. The car was also rumored to not be stock during that time period but returned to stock years later.

I think some are wayyyyyyyy over thinking this and really interpreting as if it was the fastest car in Detroit. I get as of late the story is being broadcasted everywhere in the collector car scene and may be embellished to a degree but the story has been around for decades prior to any of this. Its kinda crazy to me this story even got as big as it did.

EXCELLENT post!! I know little about the Black Ghost outside of what I've read here and there. But your comments balance the truth, the hype, and the exaggerations. Like a ghost, it appeared....and then disappeared, sometimes for long periods of time....routinely.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Let’s see some pics! Love Chevelles. Crazy what these old cars are bringing now days.
For sure! As it sits right now it's in the garage covered with dust. I just got a shed and I'm in the process of clearing out the garage so that I can work on it easily. I've gotten the boxes off of it The drivetrain is complete, the interior needs done, the body is straight except a couple door ding size spots and the paint is okay for now.

Attachments

• Chevelle.jpg
    Chevelle.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 69

GotGrunt

Established Member
For sure! As it sits right now it's in the garage covered with dust. I just got a shed and I'm in the process of clearing out the garage so that I can work on it easily. I've gotten the boxes off of it The drivetrain is complete, the interior needs done, the body is straight except a couple door ding size spots and the paint is okay for now.
Nice 72, sure does look familiar :D

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 63

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

That’s what I’ve read too. Not the fastest car around it was just mysterious.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's the literal equivalent as if someone 30 years from now claims a stock, heavily optioned '12 GT500 dominated the TX2K street race scene....
Hmmm, not really. Maybe just delete the 'TX2K' and leave it "the TX street race scene". The TX2K is a unique and special race venue that attracts racers from all over versus it being regular local street racing.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
EXCELLENT post!! I know little about the Black Ghost outside of what I've read here and there. But your comments balance the truth, the hype, and the exaggerations. Like a ghost, it appeared....and then disappeared, sometimes for long periods of time....routinely.
Like a ghost it doesn’t exist.

Users who are viewing this thread