The best mods for the money.

clc44

Established Member
and the innovators west damper frees up no power.

If you have concerns about charging you can keep the stock alt pulley.

The march damper and water pump pulley will free up about 10rwhp, the hydraboost pulley another 3-4.

It's my DD and I get stuck in traffic, I'd hate to have issues. Would that require the same size belt? I may give it a go. Thanks!

smitty2919

Established Member
K&N drop in filter (don't waste money on CAI RAI) short throw shifter, catback, midpipe, dyno tune and call it a day

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
^ how much did it make anyways?
Pre cops,cobra r pulleys/march damper, 334rwhp/280tq
Pre 106100 cams, 332rwhp/312tq.
Post 106100 cams, 375rwhp/331tq
Future mods, GT super car followers, Livernois Valve springs, Fr500 Intake with 1/2 spacer....hopefully 400rwhp/325tq sae. Stock heads/block

RcodeStang

Established Member
and the innovators west damper frees up no power.

If you have concerns about charging you can keep the stock alt pulley.

The march damper and water pump pulley will free up about 10rwhp, the hydraboost pulley another 3-4.

Could you run just the water pump and hydraboost pulleys without the damper and make any gains? I'm iffy about the damper...

clc44

Established Member
Pre cops,cobra r pulleys/march damper, 334rwhp/280tq
Pre 106100 cams, 332rwhp/312tq.
Post 106100 cams, 375rwhp/331tq
Future mods, GT super car followers, Livernois Valve springs, Fr500 Intake with 1/2 spacer....hopefully 400rwhp/325tq sae. Stock heads/block

So they added a decent amount of tq. I'm still on the fence. I may wait and get a oil pump with billet gears so that's not a concern anymore.

Could you run just the water pump and hydraboost pulleys without the damper and make any gains? I'm iffy about the damper...

Kinda wondering the same thing. My buddy has the Steeda with many passes and no issues. Said he felt a SOTP increase.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Gears would easily be the best bang/buck, but you're concerned about the fuel economy (4.10s). In all honesty anyway, how you drive the car has a lot more to do with fuel economy than any modifications.

Some other good stuff was mentioned here...intake, catless X pipe, tune, MGW shifter, subframe connectors, intake spacer. Long tubes will provide a more significant gain than just an off-road X, but the install is significantly more difficult if this is the first car you are modifying.

Does anyone know if a 96-98 Cobra off-road X will fit his car? I have one I could hook him up with dirt cheap I've been trying to get it out of my attic FOREVER.

clc44

Established Member
I don't think it will. I checked AM and it didn't show them fitting. So not really sure. Wonder how much modifying it would take.

LT's take 6-8 hrs depending on knowledge. I helped a knowledgeable buddy put mine on. We took breaks and went and got lunch and we finished in 8.

20mach03

Established Member
it already has a midpipe. forgot to post that with the other mods.

But i think this is what im planning on doing. 4.10s, tune and mgw.

Mach1soldier

Established Member
Good bang for the buck power mods are:

-March #1158 fluid damper and water pump pulley
-Cobra R alt pulley
-Cobra R hydraboost pulley
-Off-road X

Those are what I would do....

Gears are grat for acceleration but not so great for gas mileage unless its all city driving or you drive 5-8 MPH slower to maintain the same rpms as before.

I'm not a gear hater but all my cars lost mileage everywhere once I went with 4.10 or beyond.

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
5-8 MPH slower to maintain the same rpms as before.

I'm not a gear hater but all my cars lost mileage everywhere once I went with 4.10 or beyond.

Even then it won't match the mpgs of 3.55s because you're going a slower speed so you're not going as far at those same rpms. But mileage lost in city isn't noticeable at all the highway is a couples mpgs though.

Chances50

Established Member
This is 100% my opinion. Don't waste money on boltons By the time you buy full exhaust, cai, intake spacer, intake cams all those pulleys you could afford a good used blower. Leave it alone and keep your eyes peeled for a used S trim or P1sc if you shop around you can pick up a Vortech for under $2000, then get some used 39lb injectors, an xcal, LMAF a focus pump and roll. With a s trim on 8lbs and nothing other than a catback you can make over 400rwhp and have a blast. Have $2500ish in it with a tune.

That's what I would do if I was to start all over.

clc44

Established Member
^ I think that is a good idea. I like having all of the bolt ons though. Really a 125-150 shot is the best bang for your buck.

20mach03

Established Member
so.... if i were to look for a used turbo or centri kit how would i go about that? just on forums like this, craigslist?

Chances50

Established Member
Yep. Mach1registry.org keep a look out and you'll come across some nice deals. I paid $1900 for my s trim add in a pump, injectors and maf you have a solid 400rwhp for not much money. I went a little crazy with mine so I have more invested than that now.lol

TerminatedGT

Established Member
Gears would easily be the best bang/buck, but you're concerned about the fuel economy (4.10s). In all honesty anyway, how you drive the car has a lot more to do with fuel economy than any modifications.

Some other good stuff was mentioned here...intake, catless X pipe, tune, MGW shifter, subframe connectors, intake spacer. Long tubes will provide a more significant gain than just an off-road X, but the install is significantly more difficult if this is the first car you are modifying.

Does anyone know if a 96-98 Cobra off-road X will fit his car? I have one I could hook him up with dirt cheap I've been trying to get it out of my attic FOREVER.

96-98 h and x pipes will fit a new edge but you have to extend the o2 wires and the 96-8's are a pain because of the bottom/front bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold (o2 is in the way) but it will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread