The best mods for the money.

20mach03

Established Member
So i have a 2003 mach 1 and i would like to make more power. But, its my daily driver so i dont want to do anything that will hurt my gas mileage, also i dont have alot of money so... Im looking for somethings that are cheap but will help the power.

It already has a catback, k&n cai, and a raised shaker.

anything would be helpful.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
the basis intake, spacers, exhaust, short shifter like MGW, and a tune and you'll be set for a mach. I would start with the basic intake such as JLT RAI and then get a custom tune and you'll definitely feel the difference

clc44

Established Member
Raised shaker, as in an intake spacer or is the shaker itself the only thing raised?

What's not a lot of money? I've done a lot in a short time with very little money. The key I've found is getting used parts.

An Off Road x/h pipe needs to be your next mod. Pypes, MAC and UPR are all under $200.

If you don't have an intake spacer, MMR has a 1/2" for $99.

K&N isn't the best but it's ok I guess(JLT RAI is the way to go). What CB is on the car?

Also, are goes just for set of the pants, track, street? ONce you buy some mods you'll need an SCT tuner!!!

Last edited:

20mach03

Established Member
its just a raised shaker. and im just looking to feel the power when im cruising with my buddies etc. its not really a drag car.
Also when i bought the car the duct that goes from the shaker to the filter is gone. is that piece worth looking for a used one?

4a7191a

Established Member
go to mach1registry.org and look in the used parts section, im sure there's a cold air and cat back there. also check out the ROY's intake spacer. its worth 12tq in the mid range, not much on peak hp, but the mids are what get you there. also, if you can find a used mid x/h/ prochamber setup itll be worth it.if you get mid's you'll need a tune.
btw congrats on the car.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I agree with everything except I'd add gears, 4.10's IMO if fuel economy is a huge concern. 4.30's if you can live with 22-23 on the highway. Best bang for the buck mod on a Mach IMO. I got mid 20's with 4.10's all day on the highway in my Mach. Add in mid, tune, JLT RAI, short throw shifter, maybe some H&R's and you will have a legit 12 second car on your hands if you can drive.

4a7191a

Established Member
i concur, lol... i knew i forgot something. yeah, gears dont kill mpg's in the mach's. a heavy foot will with gears only.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So i have a 2003 mach 1 and i would like to make more power.

Good bang for the buck power mods are:

-March #1158 fluid damper and water pump pulley
-Cobra R alt pulley
-Cobra R hydraboost pulley
-96-98 cobra intake cams, degreed to a 108LC
-Off-road X and good mufflers

On a stock longblock engine the following mods will do little-to-nothing to increase power: throttle bodies, CAIs/RAIs, intake spacers and shorty headers.

Aftermarket coils and raising the shaker will add no power at all.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Doesn't the cobra r alt pulley prevent the alternator from spinning fast enough to charge at idle? Just curious, I'm considering this mod as well.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Doesn't the cobra r alt pulley prevent the alternator from spinning fast enough to charge at idle? Just curious, I'm considering this mod as well.

I have a few csutomers running them and none have charging issues.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Thanks so much, What's the common gains from these? Any dyno results from just the pulleys? Those add up $$$ could get a West Innovators for a little more.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Those add up $$$ could get a West Innovators for a little more.

and the innovators west damper frees up no power.

If you have concerns about charging you can keep the stock alt pulley.

The march damper and water pump pulley will free up about 10rwhp, the hydraboost pulley another 3-4.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I do have a before and after dyno results, March damper, Cobra R Alt & P/S pulleys & new COP's. But the before dyno result, a COP was causing power loss in TQ. So actually it's not a good comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread