That. Sound.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Visited buttonwillow racetrack today in the GT4. Took the first session to try to learn the track (haven't driven there since 2001). Second session was a time attack round. Laps weren't nearly perfect, but they were still quick enough to win outright fastest lap of the day.

Forget all that.

Buttonwillow has no sound restrictions, so we installed the GT4 mufflers on her and went to town. Put on your headphones and listen to the glorious music of the GT4's Roush-Yates racing motor at 8000rpm through Kooks headers. Man, that sounds good!!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow Ben amazing! What trans is in these cars?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sounds incredible! May sound like a stupid question but regardless of how intoxicating the sound is, is there ever a point where the car is too loud to where it messes with your concentration? Like if it was an endurance race, is there a point where the noise can cause more fatigue?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Sounds incredible! May sound like a stupid question but regardless of how intoxicating the sound is, is there ever a point where the car is too loud to where it messes with your concentration? Like if it was an endurance race, is there a point where the noise can cause more fatigue?
That sounds like an everyday drive in my 2002 GT. Loud and whiny, but persistent and reliable.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Absolutely. Beyond what's required to hear what's going on with the car, more noise for the driver is just a distraction, and it also interferes with driver-crew radio communication. Some helmets have noise cancelling headphones & mics to help. It's also kosher to wear earplugs while driving.

For spectators, on the other hand... :D

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Where does this car stack up on your “most fun to track” list? It seems remarkably capable.

That's like picking between your children! I'll say this: I'm choosing to drive the Mustang more than any other track car I have at the moment. That's probably a combination of (A) the Mustang is huge fun to drive and it's a proper racing car -- functional aero, good ABS, loads of grip, so the experience I get with it is just as useful as anything else (B) it's not super-expensive to operate, and (C) it's "only" 3-6 secs/lap faster than other well-driven track cars I encounter, so I spend less time fighting through traffic and more time driving.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Now that is an amazing piece of machinery! You get to do some awesome stuff in life, thanks for sharing that!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SirShaun

Established Member
What is that whining noise? I've only ever heard it pronounced in race cars. Is that the rear end or transmission?

Sounds amazing regardless.

Also can't help but to notice the OEM dashboard, surprised that didn't get tossed for weight reduction. Any interior pics of that beast?

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
What is that whining noise? I've only ever heard it pronounced in race cars. Is that the rear end or transmission?

Also can't help but to notice the OEM dashboard, surprised that didn't get tossed for weight reduction. Any interior pics of that beast?

Most likely the planter is making that noise, though Ben can confirm. Straight cut gears are loud AF.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Straight cut gears.

Ben, car sounds amazing and it looks genuinely fast.

Users who are viewing this thread