texting while driving

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Texting And Driving Kills More Than Drunk Driving | Geekosystem

At this point, it really shouldn’t take another study to show us that texting and driving is not safe. But another study showing that is exactly what we have this week, with a paper published today in the journal Pediatrics showing that texting and driving is now responsible for more car accidents — and more fatalities — among teen drivers than drunk driving.

The study by Cohen Children’s Medical Center found that texting and driving was responsible for more than 3,000 fatalities among teenagers last year, while drinking and driving claimed the lives of 2,700 teens. Granted, this is skewed by the fact that texting is way easier and more common for a teenager to do than getting hammered. But it also shows that this common behavior is lethal.

And just for thomas91169, Mr. "if you can't text while driving, you suck and not a boss, like me": Think you can multitask? Congratulations, you're probably living a lie.

According to University of Utah psychologists David Strayer and David Sanbonmatsu, people who identify as strong multitaskers tend to be impulsive, sensation-seeking and overconfident in their ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously. In fact, note the researchers in the latest issue of PLOS, the people who multitask the most are often the least capable of doing so effectively.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Texting And Driving Kills More Than Drunk Driving | Geekosystem

And just for thomas91169, Mr. "if you can't text while driving, you suck and not a boss, like me": Think you can multitask? Congratulations, you're probably living a lie.

just so were clear....

article said:
At this point, it really shouldn’t take another study to show us that texting and driving is not safe. But another study showing that is exactly what we have this week, with a paper published today in the journal Pediatrics showing that texting and driving is now responsible for more car accidents — and more fatalities — among teen drivers than drunk driving.

The study by Cohen Children’s Medical Center found that texting and driving was responsible for more than 3,000 fatalities among teenagers last year, while drinking and driving claimed the lives of 2,700 teens. Granted, this is skewed by the fact that texting is way easier and more common for a teenager to do than getting hammered. But it also shows that this common behavior is lethal.

So were looking at teenage texting versus teenage drunk driving.....

Big surprise. Newbie drivers who cant drive anyways getting in accidents. And lets see, theres probably way more of them out there TWD than DWI at any given time, so of course there will be more fatalities.

They really needed a study to figure that out?

And yeah, I really don't give a shit what some study says. Like ive said all along, there are times to do it when its SAFER than others. Obviously im not going to be texting driving down I5 through the heart of Los Angeles at 5pm doing 80mph while a bunch of cars all around me are jockeying for position like the last lap of the Daytona 500. I do it when theres little chance of needing to slam on the brakes or worry about people merging. Mostly its waiting at a stoplight or in bumper to bumper 1-2mph traffic. Yeah, really going to kill someone there.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I grew up with cellphone "craze" from 2003 - present and im 24 now. So the whole texting and driving revolution was a serious problem i will even admit. I agree with OP, it should carry some heavy penalties. Flash forward to now, I dont text and drive. I may answer a call. In the cobra i pull off frequently cruising to answer texts.

Just isnt worth it..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I grew up with cellphone "craze" from 2003 - present and im 24 now. So the whole texting and driving revolution was a serious problem i will even admit. I agree with OP, it should carry some heavy penalties. Flash forward to now, I dont text and drive. I may answer a call. In the cobra i pull off frequently cruising to answer texts.

Just isnt worth it..

I hope you don't talk to passengers, that's distracting too.

Or change radio stations, distraction.

Opening a soda in the car? Distraction.

The difference? They can enforce and make revenue off the TWD issue.

If saving lives was really important they would just ban cars altogether.

You guys wanna know something else? Interestingly enough, the TOTAL number of vehicle fatalities has continually dropped every year since the mid 90's last time I checked. So more drivers than ever, yet theres less deaths than ever before.

testorossa1989

Established Member

You guys wanna know something else? Interestingly enough, the TOTAL number of vehicle fatalities has continually dropped every year since the mid 90's last time I checked. So more drivers than ever, yet theres less deaths than ever before.

If your measuring that, so has drinking and driving deaths since the 70s and people crossing state lines to drink in states with lower drinking ages and travelling back and the number dropped since the age was raised, and enforced. You'll have pro's and con's either way

Dont go that gov route with this. Many states have made it a second offense for a fine even.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Established Member

Same vehicle safety standards right?

It's cool man. You want to text and drive. No study will change your mind you can say it. It's ok.

Comparing the radio and talking to texting is about the weakest argument I've heard. Although you would be a great scientific case study as the effects of texting on a touch screen phone do not apply to you. Too bad the screen is on draining battery since you never have to look at it. I know you will say you don't as you have said in the past, but be real, that's complete BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Had a Bn safety day yesterday and learned that while going 55 mph if it takes you 3 seconds to send a text that's already the length of a football field.

flS/R

Established Member

reality is, most people don't care about statistics until they become one. Just stop texting while driving and pay attention

SHOdown220

Established Member
It wasn't until I started riding a motorcycle that I realized how unsafe twd and other distractions really were, and how much I cared. Nothing will piss you off more than some teenager almost killing you because they want to "lol" at a message. It's ridiculous how little attention people actually pay driving. you're operating something can cause instant death, take it more seriously.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
My 97 Spyder was rear ended by a girl texting.

Nope, still dont care.

How about if she hit someone else and killed them? You know... a family with young kids...a motorcyclist...police officer on the side of the road.

Tapping...Not Driving.

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I admit i was guilty as hell of that when i had my blackberry bold. I could type and send full messages one handed without even looking at my phone. But once i got my androids it became worse than drunk driving. Its impossible to text on a touch screen without looking, and when i tried to text and drive it showed me just how dangerous it could be. It was nice being able to safely text n drive though, i do miss my bb.

As far as other ppl texting and driving, i really dont care. What i care about is your failure to notice the lights green, take advantage of an opening at a turn, swerving etc. If you're driving fine then whatever. I've seen women do crazy things like eye make-up and book reading on the highway. A ****ing book on the steering wheel. Are you out of your mind.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
I admit i was guilty as hell of that when i had my blackberry bold. I could type and send full messages one handed without even looking at my phone. But once i got my androids it became worse than drunk driving. Its impossible to text on a touch screen without looking, and when i tried to text and drive it showed me just how dangerous it could be. It was nice being able to safely text n drive though, i do miss my bb.

As far as other ppl texting and driving, i really dont care. What i care about is your failure to notice the lights green, take advantage of an opening at a turn, swerving etc. If you're driving fine then whatever. I've seen women do crazy things like eye make-up and book reading on the highway. A ****ing book on the steering wheel. Are you out of your mind.

I agree with the bb you know the feel of it with the keyboard its easier but you still look once & a while. Speaking of book my dad seen a girl with a full news paper across her steering wheel with kids in the back. This was in the usa on the interstate doing 75 that's wrong on so many levels!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

ff500

Established Member
I drive a lot between Mass and Va, straight down I95 and the worst offenders are in CT and MD. Both States have no handheld cell phone and texting laws. Maryland is the worst by far and most of the offenders have Maryland plates, mostly woman.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I drive a lot between Mass and Va, straight down I95 and the worst offenders are in CT and MD. Both States have no handheld cell phone and texting laws. Maryland is the worst by far and most of the offenders have Maryland plates, mostly woman.

MD just has crappy drivers period. Cell phones or not.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Dragu1a

Established Member
i'm guilty. i'm pretty good at texting with 1 hand and not looking at the screen...sometimes my friends have to decypher some jumble, but they get the idea.

i've had siri send some texts for me before, but it's kind of a pain in the ass since i tend to mumble sometimes.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member

Outta touch? Iphone its like sync talk to it and it does stuff. Searches for you checks weather if u ask. Can talk to it and tries to replicate what you say in text form to send to someone instead of actually texting it you have to talk slow and pronounce words perfect for it to work really good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread