Test your skills

johnh

Established Member
I've heard bad things about the PP distributor, you might want to drop an MSD or stock one back in.

I always broke up on top with out the plugs gapped at .032".

I would put the MSD back on, it helps all around.

BTW,
I had a similiar set up except I had a 2031 cam, 441RWHP @10psi. so you have good numbers.

Oh, I would get some subframe connectors on there before your car twist.

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Check out the picture of my dyno graph you can see where it starts to get a little rough.

DynoRun.jpg

I don’t remember the exact gap size but it’s either .035 or .030, but I think its .035? My MSD crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago and I’ve heard too many stories of this being a common issue. Since this is my daily driver and I usually have my four month old with me I don’t want to risk being stranded somewhere.

If I can find time this weekend I’m gonna try to swap the coil, TFI sensor and maybe my distributer out separately in hopes to track down the issue – I have aluminum spark plug separators, does anyone think that could cause an arcing issue?

johnh

Established Member
Wow that's a sketchy graph..

MSD's do crap out and there's a reason NASCAR has two of them on the dash. But you shouldn't have any problems with one and if you do they give you bypass just incase.

Can you feel it breaking up? That's a big dip at 4900..

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
That’s so funny you posted this – I literally just hung up with my shop and he said the exact same thing about NASCAR running a 2 box setup.

To answer your question YES you can feel it breaking up after 4k. It’s bad enough that I’m not pushing it at all until I get this under control. It feels like spark blowout or pre-ignition but it still pulls like a beast when its doing it and the air fuel is dead on 11.7 -11.8. I dyno’d the car last month and didn’t have this issue – I was using a much larger spark plug gap and was running an MSD box but generating lower boost numbers 9#’s

It looks like I’m going to go ahead and reinstall a new box – but which one do you guys recommend? A couple buddies said to get the boost retard but my shop says to just stick with the basic 6AL. – any suggestions from your experiences?

johnh

Established Member
There's nothing wrong with using a 6AL but I haven't tried a Digital 6 yet either.

I've ran a 6AL in my past two cars.

If you have a PP distributor I would try throwing the stock one back in. If your wire looms were arcing you would notice it at idle more then high RPM's.

delvin.a

Established Member
I've had my MSD 6AL fail and it had similar symptoms I had it rebuilt and it's been fine for about a year. Can't say that about the distributor, it crapped out so I put the oem job on.

Users who are viewing this thread