Test your skills

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Well after two long years of tinkering with the Cobra, modding and restoring, I’m just about ready to get her on the street and drive it around for the first time. That’s right I’ve owed the car for almost two years and only drove it around the block twice before parking and disassembling it, I'm pretty anxious.

It’s currently at Performance Street Machines in Kemah, TX getting a few bugs worked out and some base tuning. PMS's dyno isnt ready so I'll be hauling the cobra to Houston Performance for some custom tuning.

I just wanted to see what some of you came up with and who could get the closes on what the car actually pulls RWHP/TQ on a Dyno Jet.

Induction:
* Pro M 80 mass air meter
* AFM powerpipe
* Accufab 70MM TB
* Polished Vortech V2 SQ supercharger at 12#

Ignition/CPU:
* MSD 6al ignition
* Performance Distributor Hot Forged Distriburtor with Dyna ignition Module
* Screamin' Demon Coil
* Livewires - Performance Distributors wires
* Zex Power Racer Spark Plugs #82071-8

Motor:
* 306, forged internals
* Holley Systemax intake II
* GT 40 heads (stock springs)
* FRPP Roller rockers 1.6
* ARP head studs
* FRPP F303 cam

Fuel System:
* Glenn's Performance 600HP Sleeper tank Fuel System
* Walbro 392 pump flows 300lph
* Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pressure reg.
* Aeroquip braided steel lines
* FRPP 42# injectors

Exhaust:
* Mac long tube 1 - ¾ headers
* Mac H-Pipe
* Bassani 2.5 SS custom order dumps (temp dumps till custom mandrels can be made).

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
I'm gonna guess 480ish at the ground.

Let us know

Mine is getting tuned as I write this, fingers crossed that they don't find any issues. Seems to be my luck lately :/

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
The only thing I see holding that car from hitting 500rwhp are the heads. Injectors may be a bit smallish, but they'll work. I'll say 465rwhp assuming your around 9:1 compression.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys...I thought I'd post some teaser videos till i get the results.

PSM doing some base tuning, this video is without the mufflers.

CLICK ON PICTURE

th_2011-06-17_15-32-04_374.jpg

Still needs abit of adjusting but heres a clip after installing Bassani dumps (custom axle back pipes will come with next months pay check)

CLICK ON PICTURE

th_2011-06-18_10-02-46_819.jpg

JUST A FEW PICTURES

imagejpeg952_2.jpg

2011-06-17_15-59-01_463.jpg

2011-06-17_15-59-29_308.jpg

2011-06-17_15-59-36_430.jpg

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Looks very nice. I wanted to give you a heads up (and you may already know) about tails w/ the PHB. I put the PHB on my GT and a reputable shop around me (especially for the Shelby guys) attempted to put custom tails on. It turned out to be a disaster since they tried to do it with the PHB still in place. A year later, I finally found a true exhaust artists who spent two full days constructing my tails. That space is extremely tight with the PHB and fuel tank but he still managed at least 1/4" clearance at all areas. In my car, he removed the PHB, fitted the pipes, and then put the PHB back into place. I would be cautious if an exhaust guy wants to fit the exhaust without removing the PHB. Good luck and keep us posted :beer:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Tunedin302: Thanks for the complement! I’ve read several horror stories about this too and I agree with you, which is why I will be using Ripley's in Houston. They specialize in custom exhaust and have actually performed this job many times already. They’re not cheap but if you want it done right you have to shell out the $$. Stainless steel pipe from mufflers back with tips will run me around $700.

Performance Exhaust in Houston and The Woodlands

Once I have the torque arm mounted I’ll remove the upper control arms to give the shop a little more wiggle room. They’ll have their work cut out for them but I’m pretty confident they’ll be able to do it right (crossing fingers). I’ll also be adding dual DMH electronic cutouts to my set up as well.

Welcome to DMH Performance!

CLICK ON PICTURE

th_cutoutclip.gif

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
Tunedin302: Thanks for the complement! I’ve read several horror stories about his too and I agree with you, which is why I will be using Ripley's in Houston. They specialize in custom exhaust and have actually performed this job many times already. They’re not cheap but if you want it done right you have to shell out the $$. Stainless steel pipe from mufflers back with tips will run me around $700.

Performance Exhaust in Houston and The Woodlands

Once I have the torque arm mounted I’ll remove the upper control arms to give the shop a little more wiggle room. They’ll have their work cut out for them but I’m pretty confident they’ll be able to do it right (crossing fingers). I’ll also be adding dual DMH electronic cutouts to my set up as well.

Welcome to DMH Performance!

CLICK ON PICTURE

th_cutoutclip.gif

Whoa! $700, yikes. I'm using the tips that came with my Edelbrock cat back kit without any issue. I don't have a fuel system though so that might cause problems. Also I had to wrap the fuel lines with a bunch of heat tape so they wouldn't burn up on the pipe. I must've just got lucky

Edit: I've been wanting to do cutouts for a while also, best of both worlds with some quite mufflers.

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I'm using the tips that came with my Edelbrock cat back kit without any issue. I don't have a fuel system though so that might cause problems. Also I had to wrap the fuel lines with a bunch of heat tape so they wouldn't burn up on the pipe.

Not sure if you're using a Panhard Bar like tunedin302 and I have but they really cut down on exhaust space once installed. Plus i have custom widened wheels which take up additional free room. It's not the exhaust tips but the pipes over the axle needing to clear the upper control arms, PHB, gas tank and wheels. The $700 price is a bit high but it was a quote over the phone. I’m hoping once I get my car in their shop and they see what I have it wont be so bad. Although I’m using a high quality SS material and this shop is really good and they know it so most of their work has a high tag. In the long run its worth it to me when you factor in the headache and crappy work/material of others.

Check out the sample pictures (not my car)

5-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

10-1.jpg

480.jpg

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
Ya I have the whole kit back there, no uppers anymore but even with the uppers on it didn't hit or rub. Now I'm only running 2.5" pipe so if you're trying to squeeze 3" I'd pay that much also to have quality work done. When I had my exhaust re-done after a tranny swap it cost me an arm and a leg between hi-flo cats and Corsa mufflers but good work cost money.

Hopefully it's not raining like it is here so you can get that bad boy to the tuner. Cheers

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Well despite the weather I made it to the dyno shop yesterday and was pretty upset at the out come. I’m at the office and don’t have the data sheet with me but it pulled around 360rwhp and 375rwtq. Long story short the guy I bought the car from advertised the car with the 12# pulley (with dyno numbers of 465) but swapped it out with the 9# pulley before shipping me the car, he swapped a few other things out too i just didnt notice the pulley until it dyno'd– very shady guy.

With me being a chevy guy I didn’t know one part from the other at first until pulling the car apart and doing some research. I’ve been in contact with the previous owner to the shady guy to confirm cars history. For those that would like to know the shady guy is: Edward Leonard of Leonard’s Performance in Taunton MA, watch out for him on eBay.

Anyway, I’ve ordered a 2.95 pulley and belt today and hope to have it back on the dyno next week. So I’ll repost some number for you then….until then I need to get some cats and axle back pipes on this car so I don’t smell like exhaust fumes anymore…cough cough!

PS:
Does anyone else think those numbers are low for 9# of boost? Assuming I hit 12-13# I was hoping for 440-465. I know the heads are killing me but I was trying to keep the power levels under 475 - LOL I guess I achieved my goals there. I have a dyno from the original owner, who I'm still in contact with, and he made 410 on a mustang dyno with a 3.15 pulley, stock intake, TB and a few other things which i've upgraded since.

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Round Two

Changes:
2.95 pulley
NGK TR6 plugs
Ditched MSD box
Catch can for my PVC valve and baffle for valve cover oil fill
Snugged up a few lines and supercharger piping (issue with unmetered air getting by)

Problems:
Seems to have a spark/ignition problem on top that we think is coming from my TFI sensor on the distributer. It was getting a little rough and had to pull out of it early but my new numbers are….

460 rwhp and 451rwtq

I’m happy with that for now, this tune feels much better too - just need to find this last pesky gremlin so i can move on.

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Buddha,

I’m bummed but since my car was running rough on top my tuner was focusing more on my A/F ration and didn’t notice my PSI. I’m guessing somewhere around 12-14#?

The car feels great but still a little rough on top, any suggestions other then my TFI sensor? Plugs, wires and coil seem to be working fine? The shop doing my tuning told me to stay away from Professional Products parts which is my whole ignition system.

Scottyk

Established Member
Buddha,

I’m bummed but since my car was running rough on top my tuner was focusing more on my A/F ration and didn’t notice my PSI. I’m guessing somewhere around 12-14#?

The car feels great but still a little rough on top, any suggestions other then my TFI sensor? Plugs, wires and coil seem to be working fine? The shop doing my tuning told me to stay away from Professional Products parts which is my whole ignition system.

Maybe try a plug gap around .025, got a good coil I assume?

buddha93

Established Member
Buddha,

I'll be honest, I didn't know there was such a company making ignition products.

I tried running my car without an MSD box just for kicks, and it cut out anything above 4500rpm.......max boost was less than 14psi. Of course I was running a pretty wide gap.

What are your plugs gapped at?

Users who are viewing this thread