Test drove my first C5 Z06

BladeX10

Established Member
I remember when this forum rode the C5Z's nuts, Now all of a sudden its a POS and slow? Lol

What does that make Terminators?

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I've read/watched enough to know the C6Z is a beast it's just more refined and that takes the animal out of it.

I will agree that they refined the C6Z a tad with better riding suspension and interior gadgets, but in no way did they soften it. The C6Z is an animal, it takes a driver to throw them around a road course quickly. I don't see how you could think a car that goes 10.80's with absolutely no mods but drag radials is a soft puller.

Para81

Established Member
I loved mine stock, bone stock on stock tires. It was a consistent 12.30 car @ 116.
Took Mustang 10yrs to compete with that time. Stayed stock until a lifter went bad. Put a $400 cam in it. Been terrorizing these Fan boys ever since.
Terminators becomes the most fun to run when you start modding.

The Z06 in your signature looks sick. I think these look a lot better than the C6 and C7 Vettes.

UncleDan

Established Member
I remember having the same reaction after driving an 03 Cobra for the first time. Own any fast car for a few months and you'll get used to the power.

Most people can't even handle the stock LS3 in the C6, nevermind a modified one.

blackvette101

Established Member
2. C6Z has to much power. I said it. My God the C5Z felt like a freight train. During my first mile I wouldn't dare do full throttle. Plus it's more fun and easier to take a weaker car to its limit and you can actually find it sooner.

Sounds like a true Toyota customer right there.

HandBanana

Established Member
Bah.. 10-12 500's have it's number too mang. 5.0 is a decent race with one. 500 walks a 5.0. Dammit...... :D

Haha, just busting your balls my friend. I do the same thing to my buddies who aren't fortunate enough to own an MKIV Supra but pass their cars off as Supras to people they meet. I'm always quick to chime in with: "You mean your MK III?" I'm a douche. :beer:

Tough crowd, get you a c5z and enjoy it OP, I love mine, and if your like me the modding started on day one, there is tons of parts to add to it to keep you satisfied until you can afford to upgrade to something even faster, that's my plan anyways.

While I agree that you have a great car there, your opinion is completely invalid after owning possibly the ugliest bike of all time as listed in your sig. Anyone that can ride one of those wannabe Busas and not vommit is an impressive human being.

Sirraf

Established Member
I do miss my 04 Z06 though. The 2004 was mint and bout it with 9k miles. It was a corvette museum car at one time. Never gave me any issues. My 2001 however was a headache. Here is my 04 I recently sold. The body lines are still very nice on these...

blurry_zpseb72a9b0.jpg

MPM IV

Established Member
Ive modded C5Zs in every way, shape and form you can. End of the day, it will ride like shit, interior literally starts to deteriorate, electrical gremlins PLAGUE this car more than any other car Ive ever had. Here is the things that WILL go wrong in a C5 or C5Z

Column lock failure (every single c5 ever made)
Door panel separation
Door panel faux passageway goes missing
1-10 different modules burn up requiring replacement.
Diff leaks
Matte material starts peeling off the dash and din.
2001 oil consumption

I do miss my 04 Z06 though. The 2004 was mint and bout it with 9k miles. It was a corvette museum car at one time. Never gave me any issues.

Interesting that you went from WILL go wrong to Never any issues. I also have to wonder why someone that mods cars in every way you can wouldn't address the suspension and interior if they were unhappy?

If I were buying now I'd get a C6Z over the C5, but when I drove the C6 it was a little to refined for my taste. My 04 has only had one of the issues you mention (diff leak) and that was after making 600 rwhp. I did like some things better about the C6Z, and they are on my car now. Seats, shifter, and LS7 block.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Interesting that you went from WILL go wrong to Never any issues. I also have to wonder why someone that mods cars in every way you can wouldn't address the suspension and interior if they were unhappy?

If I were buying now I'd get a C6Z over the C5, but when I drove the C6 it was a little to refined for my taste. My 04 has only had one of the issues you mention (diff leak) and that was after making 600 rwhp. I did like some things better about the C6Z, and they are on my car now. Seats, shifter, and LS7 block.

My experience with an '02 coupe:

Electrical gremlins...BAD. Shit turned on and off on it's own, passenger's seat moved on its own while driving. :dw:

Column lock....which is bullshit. Have to get an aftermarket bypass kit b/c GM is too damn lazy to figure the shit out themselves.:fm:

Water leaks like the shit...so much so that eventually I traded the car. Who's bright engineering idea was it to have ALL of your major electrical shit on those cars stored under the carpet on the passenger side? Are you serious? Yeah, that's not gonna go wrong. :rollseyes

It was a very fun car.....when it worked. But if I were going to do it again, C6 FTW. My bro's Lingenfelter C6 Vert runs like a champ and pulls like a train. :rockon:

BladeX10

Established Member
I do miss my 04 Z06 though. The 2004 was mint and bout it with 9k miles. It was a corvette museum car at one time. Never gave me any issues. My 2001 however was a headache. Here is my 04 I recently sold. The body lines are still very nice on these...

blurry_zpseb72a9b0.jpg

I love Millennium Yellow Z's, If i where to get one, Itll be that color only.

Monster14

Beer Me
Established Member
Haha, just busting your balls my friend. I do the same thing to my buddies who aren't fortunate enough to own an MKIV Supra but pass their cars off as Supras to people they meet. I'm always quick to chime in with: "You mean your MK III?" I'm a douche. :beer:

While I agree that you have a great car there, your opinion is completely invalid after owning possibly the ugliest bike of all time as listed in your sig. Anyone that can ride one of those wannabe Busas and not vommit is an impressive human being.

Well thanks for saying my car is great but as for the 14 it was a sick machine, ate plenty of Busas, now those are butt ugly in my opinion, sold it though for a 2012 zx10R, then sold that for the vette. :burnout:

Sirraf

Established Member

I sold the car with 30,000 miles so that is probably why I didn't have any issues. Around 60k miles up you will start to have electrical issues. I guarantee it.

MPM IV

Established Member
I sold the car with 30,000 miles so that is probably why I didn't have any issues. Around 60k miles up you will start to have electrical issues. I guarantee it.

That makes sense.
This is my second vette and so far I've been lucky. I bought it in 06 and DD it for a year. In 07 it got a 440ci LS7 and made 600 at the tire. Put a direct port on it in 09 and broke 800 rwhp. If it has some issues in 2014 or later I'll address them and not be to offended at this point.

Sick03- These aren't Hondas, but I can't help wondering if you were just unlucky or if you bought a POS. I see so many post where people buy based strictly on price instead of finding a good car.
My passenger seat is manual so I'm safe there, and I skipped the targa top even though the C4 I owned for 10 years never leaked. I'm sure your bro's car pulls hard, but mine does ok for itself also.

paynecasey

Established Member
I love Millennium Yellow Z's, If i where to get one, Itll be that color only.

Love that color as well.

That makes sense.
This is my second vette and so far I've been lucky. I bought it in 06 and DD it for a year. In 07 it got a 440ci LS7 and made 600 at the tire. Put a direct port on it in 09 and broke 800 rwhp. If it has some issues in 2014 or later I'll address them and not be to offended at this point.

Sick03- These aren't Hondas, but I can't help wondering if you were just unlucky or if you bought a POS. I see so many post where people buy based strictly on price instead of finding a good car.
My passenger seat is manual so I'm safe there, and I skipped the targa top even though the C4 I owned for 10 years never leaked. I'm sure your bro's car pulls hard, but mine does ok for itself also.

I wonder if keeping the Z stock eliminates a lot of problems y'all are mentioning.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Love that color as well.

I wonder if keeping the Z stock eliminates a lot of problems y'all are mentioning.

Doubtful. Most electrical gremlins are poor designs by the manufacturer. If you want the car, buy it and fix the problems as they occur. You'll never find a perfect car.

Breze84

Established Member
C5Z's are very fun cars and give you that Raw Race car feel... I have owned a few now and they are probably some of the best cars I have ever owned. My first C5Z was kept stock and I sold it, Then I picked up the Black one that is in my Avatar and did a Cam with basic Boltons which put me at 440/408 from 367/364 Stock. It was a pretty fast car. My current one now is Red with a Built Forged LS7, RPM Auto Swap/Stall/Trans brake, Built C6Z diff/ Built suspension blah blah blah... This car is Straight BRUTAL and looks stock.

Users who are viewing this thread