Test drove my first C5 Z06

paynecasey

Established Member
I have never driven a C5 or newer Corvette period but once I found out there was a C5 Z06 at the Toyota dealer my cousin worked at, I just couldn't pass it up.

It was a 2003 Z06. 38,000 miles. Basically stock except for ash marks visually and for performance it had, ram air intake and short throw shifter. Needed weather striping replaced and the passenger window didn't work period. Also it had the original parts in trunk.

What an awesome car.

What I've learned. 1. Why the hell would you want to mod this car? It has more than enough power. I broke traction loose in second gear at half throttle. 2. Amazing bag for the buck. 3. Interior isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be. It looks fine.

My buddy was tagging along in his 01 FRC Corvette which has a ram air intake and Borla exhaust.

We were crushing the highway at one point doing 65 ish. Not sure the gear I was in but I was around 4,500 to 5,000 rpm and floored it. Damn it was like dropping a hammer.

I can't wait to buy one later on.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Cool story bro

Fast for being a decade old car

paynecasey

Established Member
No go drive a C6Z & you will wonder why you wanted a C5Z.

C6 z06 no thanks. Here is why.

1. Transmission isn't geared as aggressive as the C5Z to help the C6Z keep good fuel economy ratings so your going to have more fun through the gears of the C5Z.

2. C6Z has to much power. I said it. My God the C5Z felt like a freight train. During my first mile I wouldn't dare do full throttle. Plus it's more fun and easier to take a weaker car to its limit and you can actually find it sooner.

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
C6 z06 no thanks. Here is why.

1. Transmission isn't geared as aggressive as the C5Z to help the C6Z keep good fuel economy ratings so your going to have more fun through the gears of the C5Z.

2. C6Z has to much power. I said it. My God the C5Z felt like a freight train. During my first mile I wouldn't dare do full throttle. Plus it's more fun and easier to take a weaker car to its limit but you can actually find it sooner.

If you thought a C5Z felt like a freighttrain... which.. it is a decent car... you should go test drive a 11-12 GT500. :coolman: :-D

ibleedblue65

Established Member
What I've learned. 1. Why the hell would you want to mod this car? It has more than enough power. I broke traction loose in second gear at half throttle. 2. Amazing bag for the buck. 3. Interior isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be. It looks fine.

1. Lol 400 is more than enough? Guess you don't drive a lot of fast cars(just saw you drive a Camry lol).I don't even get an adrenaline rush in a 400 Horse car anymore. I had a friend who had a 6 second car. Asked him once what it's like driving a 10 second car after spending so much time behind the wheel of a 6 second car. He replied, "I'm checking out the girls in the stands."

2. Sure

3.yes.... Yes it is. That interior is awful.

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
You'll get used to it and want more... lol.

That's what happened with me. I originally just wanted a full exhaust/CAI for mine then I ended up doing a h/c/I/n2o setup and even still that wasn't enough. Then I sold it after I bought my C6 Z. Then I sold my C6 Z for my ZR1. And that's not even fast enough so I had to build the **** out of that. lol.

They're plenty fun stock. I actually liked driving that more than my ZR1 and C6 Z. I loved the cockpit type interior that the C5 Z has. Nothing fancy but I loved it.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member

I highly disagree. It's no Bentley or rolls royce, but it's fine for what it is. I find it to be very comfortable and has everything you need. New edge Mustang interiors aren't any better... so don't even go there. lol

paynecasey

Established Member
If you thought a C5Z felt like a freighttrain... which.. it is a decent car... you should go test drive a 11-12 GT500. :coolman: :-D

But once I track it the GT500 would probably fly off the track at the speeds the C5Z can take. No offense I love the GT500. GT500 is a cruiser and dragster. I like curves and brakes. Fair?

1. Lol 400 is more than enough? Guess you don't drive a lot of fast cars(just saw you drive a Camry lol).I don't even get an adrenaline rush in a 400 Horse car anymore. I had a friend who had a 6 second car. Asked him once what it's like driving a 10 second car after spending so much time behind the wheel of a 6 second car. He replied, "I'm checking out the girls in the stands."

2. Sure

1. I dd a 2009 Altima 4banger. It's slow yes but at least the slap stick auto is fun. My wife's car is the 2012 Camry.
3. Come on the interior is fine. Are we no better than the Aston Martin snobs?

You'll get used to it and want more... lol.

That's what happened with me. I originally just wanted a full exhaust/CAI for mine then I ended up doing a h/c/I/n2o setup and even still that wasn't enough. Then I sold it after I bought my C6 Z. Then I sold my C6 Z for my ZR1. And that's not even fast enough so I had to build the **** out of that. lol.

They're plenty fun stock. I actually liked driving that more than my ZR1 and C6 Z. I loved the cockpit type interior that the C5 Z has. Nothing fancy but I loved it.

Ah I hope to afford one before I'm 40 (33 now). Don't want a two car loan home (four years before Camry is paid off). I'll just drive the dd and that will bring me back to realty of speed.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I highly disagree. It's no Bentley or rolls royce, but it's fine for what it is. I find it to be very comfortable and has everything you need. New edge Mustang interiors aren't any better... so don't even go there. lol

3. Come on the interior is fine. Are we no better than the Aston Martin snobs.

Haha. Ya I know interior opinions are purely subjective but I would take a terminator interior over a c5 z interior any day. I just think the c 5 interior is ugly. As far as finish and materials you are correct, new edge interiors are no better but I prefer the design.

Don't like the steering wheel, seats, cluster etc in a c5 z

Last edited:

Sladester2

Established Member
Terminator interior=1994-2004 interior for the most part lol.. it sucks too. Shifter and driver location is horrible. At least in the C5Z you feel like a part of the car.

Sounds like fun OP. I plan on adding a C5Z to the garage soon and adding a A&A supercharger to it. That would be enough power for a while :p

paynecasey

Established Member
Haha. Ya I know interior opinions are purely subjective but I would take a terminator interior over a c5 z interior any day. I just think the c 5 interior is ugly. As far as finish and materials you are correct, new edge interiors are no better but I prefer the design.

Don't like the steering wheel, seats, cluster etc in a c5 z

I'll give ya that. The sn95 interior design rocks but it's sooooo plastic.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I'll put it this way, my GTO has a better interior than any car mentioned in here...and it still sucks. American performance cars from the turn of the century are basically crap regardless of the manufacturer.

paynecasey

Established Member
Terminator interior=1994-2004 interior for the most part lol.. it sucks too. Shifter and driver location is horrible. At least in the C5Z you feel like a part of the car.

Sounds like fun OP. I plan on adding a C5Z to the garage soon and adding a A&A supercharger to it. That would be enough power for a while :p
Nice gl
I'll put it this way, my GTO has a better interior than any car mentioned in here...and it still sucks. American performance cars from the turn of the century are basically crap regardless of the manufacturer.
Ah it helped keep the cost down. Honestly, I wish the base model kept cheap interior for economies of scale and then pay $5k for leather.

Users who are viewing this thread