Test drove 03 Cobra have a few questions?

SVT Jim87

GOD DAMN I LOVE ME
Established Member
Looking to purchase one but Im in no rush by any means really picky and don’t want regret rushing into buying one. Trying to find one near stock would be for daily driving all summer long. Would like to make somewhere near 450rwhp 450rwtq.

Test drove a 2003 cobra friday with 60k miles on it they were asking $17600 for it. One owner and had a clean carfax no mods. It was pretty nice, it had a few problems I noticed just curious to see what you guys think they might have been. Was really hard to shift into first or second stopped, the trans seemed noise while driving like a loud rattling. It didn’t have trouble shifting while driving and had no problems when ripping thru gears! Did a roll from 10mph to 96pmh so first-third. Seem solid in high rpms no brake up in boost. Trying to remember what else I noticed.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
You can obtain your desired HP level with simple bolt ons. My car made 457/460 with a 2.93 upper, 4pc Idlers, Steeda CAI, Tune, MRT H, Steeda Catback.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The putting it into gear thing when stopped is just a clutch adjustment deal, manual not hydraulic. Try pulling up on the clutch pedal when stopped, engine off. Most will put aftermarket parts in to help with that issue.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
hard to shift into gears, while stopped? NOT NORMAL
loud rattling coming from tranny? NOT NORMAL

i would pass on that one, and try to find one with NO issues, personally.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Was it very cold outside when you did this test drive? Like any manual transmission car, initially getting into gear and the first shift or two might be stiff in very cold weather. Also it does sound like the clutch was not fully disengaging, so I'd guess the engagement point was near the floor, no?

Rattling sound is no bueno.

j-tan

Established Member
Is it the original clutch? I had the same problem at 59k miles. I installed a new clutch and it fixed the problem. Check the clutch adjustment by pulling up the clutch pedal and see if it fixes the problem.

rickrubin2

Established Member
Yep my car did the same thing I replaced the clutch and fixed that rattle noise I'm thinking was a Bearing or something and once in a blue moon my car will have a little trouble going into first

Arboc_tvs

Established Member
Mine does that first gear hang up every once in a while. Try adjusting the clutch by pulling the clutch up as stated.

That helped me but every so often it will do it while stopped at a light. Just let the clutch out, push it back in and try again.

jrg718

Established Member
I test drove the same car and experienced a few of the same problems, assuming it's the silver coupe in Plainfield. It was actually the first one I had tested so I didn't know what to compare it to. But I know the clutch is an aftermarket clutch because, well, they told me they did the mod for the previous owner. They also told me that the carfax on the car was wrong and it was actually a 2 owner car, one from California, and one from midwest area. I did experience difficulty getting it into gear sometimes as well, but I think it had to do with the clutch. It also seemed like the car had been modded at some point in time. I'm not an expert, but it looked like someone had been in there with tools messing with the intake and pulleys from scratches and stuff, and the built by SVT badge on the engine was missing, possibly knocked off while modding?

Hawwk11

Established Member
Sounds like you test drove the silver one over at Rod Baker ford. It deffinately looks like a nice cobra (I love silver coupes) also the problems you describe seem pretty minor. If you really want it maybe point out the issues to them and let them know if they fix em then you will by it. Good luck with your search.

SVT Jim87

GOD DAMN I LOVE ME
Established Member
Yes it was the one at rod baker ford. I noticed the 2nd owner today when I looked over the carfax. I was thinking it was modded also bc the supercharger pulley cover was gone. The salesman said we could call and ask the previous owner but we never did. Once we started to talk number the salesman was being a d bag and wouldnt come up on my trade in value. So I lost interest. I want to try and find the perfect cobra and i wasnt that big fan of silver to begin with. There is a very nice cobra in Iowa with 23k miles for $20000.

I test drove the same car and experienced a few of the same problems, assuming it's the silver coupe in Plainfield. It was actually the first one I had tested so I didn't know what to compare it to. But I know the clutch is an aftermarket clutch because, well, they told me they did the mod for the previous owner. They also told me that the carfax on the car was wrong and it was actually a 2 owner car, one from California, and one from midwest area. I did experience difficulty getting it into gear sometimes as well, but I think it had to do with the clutch. It also seemed like the car had been modded at some point in time. I'm not an expert, but it looked like someone had been in there with tools messing with the intake and pulleys from scratches and stuff, and the built by SVT badge on the engine was missing, possibly knocked off while modding?

SVTwhore

Established Member
Yes it was the one at rod baker ford. I noticed the 2nd owner today when I looked over the carfax. I was thinking it was modded also bc the supercharger pulley cover was gone. The salesman said we could call and ask the previous owner but we never did. Once we started to talk number the salesman was being a d bag and wouldnt come up on my trade in value. So I lost interest. I want to try and find the perfect cobra and i wasnt that big fan of silver to begin with. There is a very nice cobra in Iowa with 23k miles for $20000.

As long as it's not the red one at Clinton Ford in Iowa. I made the commute over to end up severely disappointed. The sales guy left out that the T56 had been swapped out for a 4 speed and that over 4500 RPM it would fall flat on it's face. He just kept pointing out that it was a clean low mileage car. Body and interior wise it's super clean but mechanically it's a total turd. They went from $20k down to $16.5 in a hurry to try getting me to take it home. Just want to give you a heads up before wasting the drive over if this is the one you're talking about.

Last edited:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
I would buy from an individual. That way you know the person and what has been done to it.

SVT Jim87

GOD DAMN I LOVE ME
Established Member
Man that sucks ass!!! I believe it was in cedar rapids Iowa cant remember the dealership its not posted on autotrader anymore. I would love to buy from a private seller but i need to trade my impreza in. The plan is to buy a cobra in the next month or two drive it til Oct. and buy a $5000 4x4.

As long as it's not the red one at Clinton Ford in Iowa. I made the commute over to end up severely disappointed. The sales guy left out that the T56 had been swapped out for a 4 speed and that over 4500 RPM it would fall flat on it's face. He just kept pointing out that it was a clean low mileage car. Body and interior wise it's super clean but mechanically it's a total turd. They went from $20k down to $16.5 in a hurry to try getting me to take it home. Just want to give you a heads up before wasting the drive over if this is the one you're talking about.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would buy from an individual. That way you know the person and what has been done to it.

Hopefully. Unless you know the person personally or know them on a forum like SVTP, in the end you have to take their word on many things. Which is why it is always recommended that you do as much research as possible before committing to a purchase. For example, some will de-mod their Terminator, returning it to "stock", and then hide the fact that the car was ever modded. Worse case scenario is when someone de-mods and outright advertises the car as having always been stock. Some hide repairs done, etc. So buying from an individual doesn't by any means guarantee you will know what has been done to a car, how it was driven, and how it was maintained. I often recommend that if buying from a private seller find out if they are a member of one or more Mustang forums. With their member ID you can then do some forum searches to glean some history on the car. I remember one case where a guy was selling his Terminator and claimed it had never been damaged or involved in any accidents. But he forgot about his recent thread on a forum bragging how he hit a curb and did some bad damage to his suspension. That bit him bad! Always do your homework on any purchase. If you know the seller and his/her reputation on a forum, that is definitely a big factor. JMO.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Hopefully. Unless you know the person personally or know them on a forum like SVTP, in the end you have to take their word on many things. Which is why it is always recommended that you do as much research as possible before committing to a purchase. For example, some will de-mod their Terminator, returning it to "stock", and then hide the fact that the car was ever modded. Worse case scenario is when someone de-mods and outright advertises the car as having always been stock. Some hide repairs done, etc. So buying from an individual doesn't by any means guarantee you will know what has been done to a car, how it was driven, and how it was maintained. I often recommend that if buying from a private seller find out if they are a member of one or more Mustang forums. With their member ID you can then do some forum searches to glean some history on the car. I remember one case where a guy was selling his Terminator and claimed it had never been damaged or involved in any accidents. But he forgot about his recent thread on a forum bragging how he hit a curb and did some bad damage to his suspension. That bit him bad! Always do your homework on any purchase. If you know the seller and his/her reputation on a forum, that is definitely a big factor. JMO.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread