Test Drives

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
What do you guys mean when you say cash in hand? You want a potential buyer to show you 20k in cash before they can test drive a car?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
What do you guys mean when you say cash in hand? You want a potential buyer to show you 20k in cash before they can test drive a car?

For me, that just means they have payment on hand. Whether that be cash, a chasiers check, or any agreed upon term of payment. Before I let them drive it themselves they have to be a serious buyer and ready to take delivery.

This is how I handled the private sale of both my 99 and 2003 Cobra's as well as my 97 Tacoma. The buyer for my 03 was serious but was looking around at multiple cars. I initially gave him a ride in it. He came back a week later with a check from his loan company and that's when he got to drive it.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
For me, that just means they have payment on hand. Whether that be cash, a chasiers check, or any agreed upon term of payment. Before I let them drive it themselves they have to be a serious buyer and ready to take delivery.

This is how I handled the private sale of both my 99 and 2003 Cobra's as well as my 97 Tacoma. The buyer for my 03 was serious but was looking around at multiple cars. I initially gave him a ride in it. He came back a week later with a check from his loan company and that's when he got to drive it.

Got it.

oldmodman

Established Member

Yes. Folding green money.

I sold a T-Bird Super Coupe to a guy from Germany. He was a buyer for hire and was looking for very specific cars, options, and colors. I had all three plus low mileage. And I had said in the ad that the car was perfect.
He spent about an hour going over the car and said it was better than any he had seen in dealer showrooms. I am extremely anal about detailing and the finish was perfect.
He never even drove it before handing my a nice aluminum Hallibuton briefcase with 21K in hundreds in it. Just like a Miami drug deal.

Last edited:

UncleDan

Established Member
Not to stray off topic but I test drove a vehicle this weekend from a dealership, and to my shock, the salesperson didn't go with us. It was a 2011 WRX, 5-speed. Not 03 Cobra fast, but those things are no slouches. Kind of makes you think twice about buying a car like that after every flat brimmed "bro" before I, got behind the wheel and likely beat the snot out of it without the salesmen riding along...

floodstang

Established Member
Totally agree. I will take you for a ride if you are interested in buying it. When you come back with some kind of payment, I'll let you drive but I ride long. I'll try to make this story short. I was selling an 84 SVO Mustang. Beautiful car. I got a call from a potential buyer who was not local. He lived about 2 hours away. He said he was coming to see it the next day. I worked at a Ford dealer so I gave him directions and I drove the car to work the next day. Later that day, a salesman brought a guy to me in the service department and said to him "This is the guy with the Mustang" I thought he was the buyer. We go on a test drive and he proceeds to beat the hell out of it. I had to tell him to take it easy because he didn't buy it yet. We get back to the dealership and he told me "Thanks, I always wanted to drive one" I asked him if he was the guy I talked to the day before about buying the car and he said no he was there with his brother who was in the sales department buying a new truck. I cursed this guy out with every curse word I knew and even made up a few! Anyway, the real buyer showed up later that day to look at the car. He bought it on the spot without driving it. He followed me home and counted out the cash and drove it away.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I sold my 03 mach one to a dude who DID NOT test drive it. Him and his buddies came over, started it, revved it, examined it. Then give me straight cash. Then he did a massive burnout on his way out. Normally I would go with but in this case..

Kiohtee

Established Member
The gentleman who bought my built '97 Cobra flew in to Greensboro, NC all the way from somewhere out in Colorado. He had a buddy of his or a brother with him (I forget which).

I let him drive it from the airport to the bank. He liked it enough apparently, because they drove it back to Colorado which he said took them 27 hours. :eek:

Edit: This guy was probably 19 or 20, as was his friend. And they were legitimately some of the nicest people I have ever met. They even offered to buy my wife and I lunch before they left out to head back to CO. They ended up passing us without realizing it somewhere on Interstate 40. Immediate regret. :(

Last edited:

smitty2919

Established Member
To me, the more that is done to the car, the more I want to test drive it to make sure things aren't messed up. If it's a low mileage fairly stock car, chances are not too much could be wrong.

Also depends on WHO is selling the car. You have to feel the seller out. If they seem sketchy then I will look over every inch of the car, if they are honest and a straight shooter that knows what they have then I will glance at things.

OP you can set up a "test drive" in a big parking lot and watch them drive it around. If they want to feel it faster at highway speeds to check for vibrations etc then go with them in the car.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Buyer didn't test drive either of my mustangs before purchasing.

The GT was sold sight-unseen. I drove it to a meeting spot where it was put on a car hauler and went off to Massachusetts.

When I bought my Cobra, I first rode in it from the dealership back to the hotel where I was staying because I left the title to my trade-in car and the cashiers check there... Then I drove it back to the dealership to buy it, and immediately drove it 13 hours home to VA.

When I sold the Cobra, the buyer flew up from Florida with his son to get the car. I picked them up at the airport, drove them 30 minutes back to my house, and we did the paperwork. First time he drove it was after I had the check and he was on his way back to Florida with it.

Selling my WRX, I let the guy drive it around, but knew he had the money with him. Plus it was around the ground of an international airport where he worked, so I knew he couldn't do anything stupid.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
When I sold my last Cobra, I didn't let his drive it. He road along with me as we cruised around and I goosed it a few times to show him what it could do. He was fine with it.

On my new/latest Cobra, I bought it sight unseen but had some friends look at it for me since it was on the other side of the state. They also didn't test drive it and since it was raining, there weren't even ride alongs. I was okay with this because the previous owner was meticulous, had paperwork and service records, and had saved all of the parts he had removed.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Seeing how many people have bought and sell cars without test drives, it's no wonder we have the threads about people feeling like they were ripped off. :nonono:

Can't blame anyone but themselves, but still.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Seeing how many people have bought and sell cars without test drives, it's no wonder we have the threads about people feeling like they were ripped off. :nonono:

Can't blame anyone but themselves, but still.

I think it's a gut feeling. If the seller's ad wasn't of high quality or there were no maintenance records or the seller didn't seem quite right to me, I'd request a test drive. Quality ads, lots of photos, records, and a good gut feeling when meeting the seller go a long way to trusting that the car is in good running condition.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I think it's a gut feeling. If the seller's ad wasn't of high quality or there were no maintenance records or the seller didn't seem quite right to me, I'd request a test drive. Quality ads, lots of photos, records, and a good gut feeling when meeting the seller go a long way to trusting that the car is in good running condition.

I'm still not buying a car without test driving it. Lol

I had an acquaintance ask for, literally, "like a two week test drive just to be sure a built Cobra is what I want and can tolerate it."

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
The gentleman who bought my built '97 Cobra flew in to Greensboro, NC all the way from somewhere out in Colorado. He had a buddy of his or a brother with him (I forget which).

I let him drive it from the airport to the bank. He liked it enough apparently, because they drove it back to Colorado which he said took them 27 hours. :eek:

Edit: This guy was probably 19 or 20, as was his friend. And they were legitimately some of the nicest people I have ever met. They even offered to buy my wife and I lunch before they left out to head back to CO. They ended up passing us without realizing it somewhere on Interstate 40. Immediate regret. :(

I actually bought mine in NC and drove it back home to CO. I think 27 hours was about right. But I had no tags, so I had the cruise set below the speed limit the whole way and was very well behaved.

I found the seller on AutoTrader and talked with him for roughly 6.5 hours before committing to fly in and look at it. Man, those roads in NC are SOOOOO nice compared to what we have here. Was the nicest seller I ever dealt with. Picks me up at the airport in his DD. When we get back to his house the car is up on ramps with a creeper and flashlight at the ready with the car sitting cold (not warmed up). He handed me a massive stack of paperwork and told me to look it over to my hearts content. Me and my friend crawled all over it for about 45 minutes while he left us be, only chiming in if we asked about something specific. Having never driven a Cobra before I was very gentle on the test drive. Was weird being egged on to go faster by a 70 year old man (the owner).

Long story short I showed up with the funds in my bank account, ready to deal, with the stipulation I wouldn't waste his time, and if I didn't feel 100% I would fly back home. This set the tone that I was serious to buy and put the seller much more at ease and made it a much more pleasant experience.

I will be the same way if I ever sell. I won't be letting anyone in or near my baby without confirmed funds.

Funny story about the last part. After leaving the bank the seller bought me and my friend dinner before we set off back home. Once on the highway, seller actually followed me for about 5 miles before exiting to go back home, you could see in his eyes he missed the car already. He asked me to give it a little as he pulled off. I obliged and gave it a quick 3rd gear pull before settling back down. Waved him off and headed home. Super nice guy, still talk to him 3 years later. He can't drive the car anymore, so he doesn't have any interest in buying it back. Just makes sure his baby is still doing ok. :)

RSbeast

Established Member
I can't believe anyone would buy a car without test driving it. I don't expect any different when selling. I'm just very clear on what is going to happen.

I take them out with ME driving; we drive on side roads, turns, hwy etc. I show them that everything works in the car or what doesn't. I show them how the car tracks if you remove your hands, I show them how the car tracks during braking. I then tell them that I'll be getting on it to make sure they are comfortable. I blast through some gears. Shifting hard at rpm where you'd hear synchro failure.

They are then allowed to drive the car leasurely through a residential with me shotgun. If they behave and ask they can take it on the highway.

I don't let them wail on anything that breaks traction.

I treat it like you would any business transaction like a car lot. I've asked multiple people if it's ok if I can lean on the car a little during test drives and if they are cool. I've yet to be denied. I usually spent 45 min+ looking over a car and listening to it though. The test drive is the LAST thing I do and if I'm not interested I generally decline.

If I'm driving it; it's because I genuinely consider purchase. Some cars are great on paper until you drive them though. It's insane to buy one without.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

lol nobody in their right mind will walk around with $20k cash in hand. Some people on this board are delirious and probably have really hard time selling cars, and/or blame craigslist for being a difficult seller.

I would never, ever, ever, go anywhere or to meet someone to look at a car with full funds in my hand. How do I know its not a trap? Youre gonna entice someone with a car like that and in order to test drive it you require they bring funds, lol @ that. I was born on a day but it wasnt yesterday.

Kiohtee

Established Member
lol nobody in their right mind will walk around with $20k cash in hand. Some people on this board are delirious and probably have really hard time selling cars, and/or blame craigslist for being a difficult seller.

I would never, ever, ever, go anywhere or to meet someone to look at a car with full funds in my hand. How do I know its not a trap? Youre gonna entice someone with a car like that and in order to test drive it you require they bring funds, lol @ that. I was born on a day but it wasnt yesterday.

I mean, I guess if it works for them then awesome. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one.

The ONLY times I have carried a seller's full asking price with me to a test drive is when it concerns a motorcycle. And that's only because the slightest drop can cause $500 or more in damages.

Users who are viewing this thread