Test Drives

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Im considering selling my cobra. I know its not much here but 470 horse at the wheels can be alot for people that arent used to it. When you folks have sold your car did you put any stipulations on test drives? Just curious to see how you guys have handled it and I dont want to put up with joy rides.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would probably give the stipulation that there are no test drives without cash in hand if you are worried.

jacker1991

Established Member
I had a bad experience when selling my Cobra. Most likely a mistake on my part. I assumed that people would do the same thing I do, which is. Drive the car around and try to see if I can hear/feel something that is not supposed to be there, things like that. Well, I let a father and son take my car around my neighborhood for a test drive and as soon as they are getting out to the street, I hear tires spinning and my car being "raced" to at least 6.5k RPM(I have O/R X+SLP Catback so it's unmistakable). Let me tell you, I never get angry but this time some thoughts went through my head that were not very healthy. Father and son came back with grins on their faces and when they saw my face they told me the car did not go over 3k RPMS so not to worry. This infuriated me even more since I know what my car sounds like at any RPM. What really got to me is that I felt like I was betrayed or something. I would have never imagined someone would do that to my car.

But, lesson learned. :D

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I just specify "serious inquires only". If somebody asks outright for a test drive then they probably aren't serious about buying the car. Anybody that is ready to buy will be interested in other details first and a test drive later.

clean92lx

Established Member
I would do like the above poster said and tell them no test drives unless cash in hand and if they don't have cash in hand but seem serious then tell them you are happy to take them for a ride in it but they cannot drive it

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
Cash in hand if they want to drive...ride along if they seem serious and have no cash. If 5 teenage/YOLO/flat bill kids show up in a 1994 Sentra with a huge wing on it, I'd consider this as 'not serious.'

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
When I sold my last cobra, I didn't let the buyer test drive it. He didn't have a problem with it surprisingly.

Satyr

Established Member
Only way I let interested parties test drive alone is with cash in hand. Otherwise, I offer to bring them for a ride. If that's not okay, they can kick rocks.

coyotehp

Established Member
When selling my 04 Cobra with 12000 miles on it, I had a guy in his early 20's wanting to buy it. It was 471rwhp and had lots of extras like springs, baer rotors ect. The younger guy didn't have enough money so his dad was going to loan/give it to him. I drove the car up the road with his dad in it. A few days later, they showed up with the money and the deal was done. With in two weeks of selling, I heard he totaled it playing around on the street. What a shame.. car was perfect and still had the new factory smell in it. I did put serious inquiries only when posting.

Last edited:

jconnor3

Established Member
I'm going to be on the buyer side and I've had this same thought in a way. I don't want to really get into it fearing something could break, either because of me or just because...shit breaks. But, either way I don't want to be responsible for a car I haven't bought. So I think what i'm going to do is, ask for a test drive, while the seller is in the car, and do the basic driving shake down and make sure everything works as should and shifts properly though all gears and nothing sounds to funny.

Then ask the seller to drive the car and ask him to actually get on the car, take it up close to red-line and make a normal quick/hard shift. I can listen to the car through the whole RPM band and see how the car feels/sounds at all levels, all while me not being responsible for any unforeseen issues that may come up.

For you sellers, would you have any objections to a request like that?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Neither guy that bought my cobra (the first or second time I sold it) wanted to test drive it. Kinda weird, I test drove the **** out of it when I bought it the first time (it was stock then), though when I bought it the second time I didnt even need to (knew it was fine).

The first time I sold it the guy (01strimbullitt on here) didnt even test drive it at all. Pretty much came, looked at it, asked if it ran good, and said hed be back tomorrow with paperwork for loan stuffs. The second time, the potential buyer just asked for me to drive it and run through top of 3rd so he knew it was running right, so we just did a quick 5min drive, hopped on the freeway, got off and that was that. Though his brother had a KB'd 04 so I think he pretty much knew what he was getting into.

As a seller, selling a car like this, the only people getting near it are those ive already discussed with them their situation, know if they are serious (IE if theyve already setup lending/prequalified/etc), so I know whether or not they are tire kickers. Weeding out all the "brah, i got cash in hand brah" guys and telling people "dont care, your bank will buy from my bank", thus weeding out a good 90% of deadbeat tire kickers in the process really helps narrow down potential and serious buyers. Plus hearing theyve done their research, were on the forums, etc helps me as a seller feel more comfortable.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Cash in hand if they want to drive...ride along if they seem serious and have no cash. If 5 teenage/YOLO/flat bill kids show up in a 1994 Sentra with a huge wing on it, I'd consider this as 'not serious.'

This. As a seller you do have to understand that people will want to drive it to make sure that they like it. If they have showed up and are ready to buy with cash or approved payment in hand, they can take a test drive, but I ride along. If they are looking, but not yet buying, I will take them for a ride.

Under no circumstances would I ever let the car leave my presence without me in it. Insurance gets hairy in that situation.

SHOdown220

Established Member
When I sold my turbo coupe the guy showed up cash in hand and I agreed to let him test drive it but I wanted to ride along. Holy hell, I babied that thing and he hopped in and held the pedal to the floor flying down a back road he had never driven before. I wasn't very happy but he did end up buying the car

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Not a car, but years ago when I sold my yz125, a family came with their 16 year old son to look at it. I asked if he new how to ride and he said yes and parent a agreed. So he gets on the bike, messes up on the clutch and wiskey throttles into my truck door causing a little over 1k in damage. Only got $600 from the mom so that lesson cost me $400.

With that said, There's no way ima let a private buyer drive my 600/700+ truck if I decide to sell it. Ever.

wht93gted

Established Member
nope. I'd be happy to take anyone for a drive, but they aren't driving it unless I have cash. I'd also be in the car with them, never under any circumstance is it going out without me.

verbal

Established Member
When I sold my '04 Cobra years ago the guy test driving it almost crashed it when he decided to gas it under a small one lane bridge and the ass end came around. Luckily he didn't hit anything and ended up buying the car. He then roasted the clutch trying to get it onto the trailer. I wonder if that car is still on the road...

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I never let anyone test drive anything until I see cash in hand. Ill take them for a ride, but they arent getting behind the wheel until I know theyre serious.

And when that happens, they arent banging through the gears either as long as I own it. Theres way too many dreamers and tire kickers out there.

SpectorV

Established Member
Take them for a drive, ask them if they are wanting to hear/test anything specific and you can do that. Once they are happy and pay (checks can be canceled FYI have the deal done or cash in hand etc at the bank) then let them test drive it. They may not like it.... but better than them totaling it and saying "sorry, see you later"

Users who are viewing this thread