Tesla shows evidence arguing that NYT's journalsit lied about his test drive.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors

Here is a summary of the key facts:

As the State of Charge log shows, the Model S battery never ran out of energy at any time, including when Broder called the flatbed truck.
The final leg of his trip was 61 miles and yet he disconnected the charge cable when the range display stated 32 miles. He did so expressly against the advice of Tesla personnel and in obvious violation of common sense.

In his article, Broder claims that “the car fell short of its projected range on the final leg.” Then he bizarrely states that the screen showed “Est. remaining range: 32 miles” and the car traveled “51 miles," contradicting his own statement (see images below). The car actually did an admirable job exceeding its projected range. Had he not insisted on doing a nonstop 61-mile trip while staring at a screen that estimated half that range, all would have been well. He constructed a no-win scenario for any vehicle, electric or gasoline.

On that leg, he drove right past a public charge station while the car repeatedly warned him that it was very low on range.
Cruise control was never set to 54 mph as claimed in the article, nor did he limp along at 45 mph. Broder in fact drove at speeds from 65 mph to 81 mph for a majority of the trip and at an average cabin temperature setting of 72 F.
At the point in time that he claims to have turned the temperature down, he in fact turned the temperature up to 74 F.

The charge time on his second stop was 47 mins, going from -5 miles (reserve power) to 209 miles of Ideal or 185 miles of EPA Rated Range, not 58 mins as stated in the graphic attached to his article. Had Broder not deliberately turned off the Supercharger at 47 mins and actually spent 58 mins Supercharging, it would have been virtually impossible to run out of energy for the remainder of his stated journey.

For his first recharge, he charged the car to 90%. During the second Supercharge, despite almost running out of energy on the prior leg, he deliberately stopped charging at 72%. On the third leg, where he claimed the car ran out of energy, he stopped charging at 28%. Despite narrowly making each leg, he charged less and less each time. Why would anyone do that?

The above helps explain a unique peculiarity at the end of the second leg of Broder’s trip. When he first reached our Milford, Connecticut Supercharger, having driven the car hard and after taking an unplanned detour through downtown Manhattan to give his brother a ride, the display said "0 miles remaining." Instead of plugging in the car, he drove in circles for over half a mile in a tiny, 100-space parking lot. When the Model S valiantly refused to die, he eventually plugged it in. On the later legs, it is clear Broder was determined not to be foiled again.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
This is gonna get good. Tesla and NYT just keep butting heads on this. I bet the journalist pushed the car to try to get a better story.

oldmodman

Established Member
What?

A reporter falsifying data to fit pre conceived editorial requirements!

I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I say!

And this was the new York Time. The paper of record. The epitome of truthful reporting.

And don't forget about that "other" source of automotive journalism.
Top Gear is an entertainment show. Not an automotive test reporting show.
Do you think they will ever test the GT500 against a similarly priced European car?
NEVER!
It will only be compared to 200K+ cars from Italy and Germany.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This kind of things happens much more often than you would believe. I know of a well known automotive journalist that has actually stolen (plagiarized) work from their own staff and passed it off as their own with little repercussion from upper management.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I read that early today. I'm glad they called him out. Biased reporting i'm sure is common though. I also wouldn't be surprised some places don't get a little extra kick back by making the competition look bad.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Pretty messed up on his end and i commend Tesla for standing their ground and not just shrugging it off. An article like this could ruin a relatively small company that plays a big part in the advancement of electric car technology.

Oh and...

360zag.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
So what your saying is a member of the media didn't quite report facts and wrote a misleading article? I'm shocked.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
What?

A reporter falsifying data to fit pre conceived editorial requirements!

I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED I say!

And this was the new York Time. The paper of record. The epitome of truthful reporting.

And don't forget about that "other" source of automotive journalism.
Top Gear is an entertainment show. Not an automotive test reporting show.
Do you think they will ever test the GT500 against a similarly priced European car?
NEVER!
It will only be compared to 200K+ cars from Italy and Germany.

Actually they said it was the fastest car you could get for 35,000 pounds...And they raced it against a Plane and a train that cost millions of pounds. So kindly remove your head from your ass and place your foot in your mouth.

kthxbi

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Actually they said it was the fastest car you could get for 35,000 pounds...And they raced it against a Plane and a train that cost millions of pounds. So kindly remove your head from your ass and place your foot in your mouth.

kthxbi

:lol:

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Now that is the definition of Irony

oldmodman

Established Member

kthxbi

And this train and airplane were similarly priced automobiles?

And which European cars did they actually show it beating?

I only watch TopGear to be amused. Not informed. They do have the best production values, location shoots, and editing of any car show on TV. I just wish they would stop racing busses, RVs, trailers, and tractors. And concentrate on supercars. Stuff that you will probably only see on there.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
And this train and airplane were similarly priced automobiles?

And which European cars did they actually show it beating?

I only watch TopGear to be amused. Not informed. They do have the best production values, location shoots, and editing of any car show on TV. I just wish they would stop racing busses, RVs, trailers, and tractors. And concentrate on supercars. Stuff that you will probably only see on there.

They even admit the races are a bit ridiculous they are made for entertainment. If you want a fact based show thats drier than your girls pussy then watch motor week.

If all they did was race supercars then it would be boring as shit. Look actually that car vs train race IS practical I mean it makes you think, drive or take mass transit.

Users who are viewing this thread