TESLA Motors releases patents, wants to start an open source movement

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if they have had a breakthrough in battery development. It would make sense to release all of their old stuff and get other people using it, then a year later bring their new better product to the market.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They could be hoping that other manufacturers building more electric cars will help them with pricing on components. There's lots of economies of scale to be had in the electric car market. As it stands now, the supplier base for electric motors and batteries is fairly thin. Think what the collapse of A123 did to the development of the Chevy Volt.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Tesla's patents only work with Tesla's batteries. Tesla is planning on building a new plant to make batteries soon. Hmmmm.

So if you use their patents, you have to buy from Tesla. Lets see how many OEMs go for that. Tesla is yet to make a GAAP profit.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Tesla's patents only work with Tesla's batteries. Tesla is planning on building a new plant to make batteries soon. Hmmmm.

So if you use their patents, you have to buy from Tesla. Lets see how many OEMs go for that. Tesla is yet to make a GAAP profit.

yeah they cant sell cars so why not try to sell just batteries? seems about right to me they are trying something

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ Yes who loves having a fast electric car? :thumbsup: I see them everywhere here in Nor Cal.

If you can afford it, and since luxury cars already take a beating on gas, why not buy electric?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I don't know anything about their product other than they are electric. I'm sure there are still some maintenance costs. How long would it take to recoup the cost of a 70k vehicle over a 30k vehicle that gets 35 mpg?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You are in cali though. people love those things out there lol

I love them just for their looks and technology alone. They are a work of art. I dont even give a shit about the electric drive.

And I love the fact they have removed the dealership from the equation and that you are buying direct from the manufacturer. Its two thousand ****ing fourteen. Why we still have dealershits selling cars the same way they did half a ****ing decade ago is beyond me. And what makes it even better is so many lobbyists in states are fighting to ban Tesla sales because its "unfair to dealers".

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I don't know anything about their product other than they are electric. I'm sure there are still some maintenance costs. How long would it take to recoup the cost of a 70k vehicle over a 30k vehicle that gets 35 mpg?

There was a calculator a while back that, once you account for cost of gas over the fact that right now theres menial increase in your energy bill at home and no charge at Tesla plug pumps, it was something like 6-7 years.

Also, the Tesla is a far nicer car than say a $30k car that gets 35mpg.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I love them just for their looks and technology alone. They are a work of art. I dont even give a shit about the electric drive.

And I love the fact they have removed the dealership from the equation and that you are buying direct from the manufacturer. Its two thousand ****ing fourteen. Why we still have dealershits selling cars the same way they did half a ****ing decade ago is beyond me. And what makes it even better is so many lobbyists in states are fighting to ban Tesla sales because its "unfair to dealers".

they look great but base is $60k for one gtfo

the only ones I like are the ones by VL I believe? saw them at naias. fisker karmas and teslas with zr1 drivetrains. talk about sweet. this electric crap and the price is outrageous. you could 10x of a car for cheaper and still save on gas over probably 50 years. the price for the teslas are absurd. and people think volts are expensive well go look at these overpriced teslas

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Also, the Tesla is a far nicer car than say a $30k car that gets 35mpg.

Very true. Can't really compare the two when the Tesla is considered a luxury model I guess. Some of the added cost has to go to that aspect.

Satyr

Established Member
they look great but base is $60k for one gtfo

the only ones I like are the ones by VL I believe? saw them at naias. fisker karmas and teslas with zr1 drivetrains. talk about sweet. this electric crap and the price is outrageous. you could 10x of a car for cheaper and still save on gas over probably 50 years. the price for the teslas are absurd. and people think volts are expensive well go look at these overpriced teslas

Your comments on money savings with gas are completely wrong. The average price difference is made up in fewer than 10 years. The estimates I remember were annual savings of 3-5k, assuming average driving and when compared to a similarly-equipped vehicle. Providing those figures are correct (and, with prices of gas/mpg for luxury cars being what they are now, they are likely understated), then you would make up the price difference between a standard Tesla and most entry-level luxury vehicles in 5-8 years.

Electric "crap" is about the only meaningful progression we've made away from fossil fuels. Until something better/safer comes along, it is our sole method for mitigating our reliance on foreign oil.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Your comments on money savings with gas are completely wrong. The average price difference is made up in fewer than 10 years. The estimates I remember were annual savings of 3-5k, assuming average driving and when compared to a similarly-equipped vehicle. Providing those figures are correct (and, with prices of gas/mpg for luxury cars being what they are now, they are likely understated), then you would make up the price difference between a standard Tesla and most entry-level luxury vehicles in 5-8 years.

Electric "crap" is about the only meaningful progression we've made away from fossil fuels. Until something better/safer comes along, it is our sole method for mitigating our reliance on foreign oil.

No it isn't you don't spend $5k on fuel a year that is bull and would take you awhile to make that back up. more like maybe $2500 max on fuel a year.

and oh you mean the oil we sell overseas and then buy back from them then? its a joke we have plenty of oil in our country yet their is "legal issues" I will never own an electric car. what is the range on a tesla 100 miles? buy a 4 door car for $40k and save $25k+

LaFlavor

Established Member
I will never own an electric car.

God, I know. I drove a Tesla once, and I had to put up with all that torque at any RPM, instantly. Just awful!

what is the range on a tesla 100 miles?

It depends on how you drive, just like any car, but between 200 and 300 miles, generally.

Seriously, drive one. It's a completely different experience from what you're used to, in a good way.

Coiled03

Established Member
No way any business does this without something bigger and better in their back pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread