Tesla Car Crash

shelbygirl144

Established Member
In the Fort Lauderdale recent crash the NTSB said the car was going 116mph prior to the crash that killed two teams, when it hit two walls and burst into flames. I live near that area and have driven it 100s of times, the area is rated for 25-30 mph and before that is resort hotels beach area then turns into a residential area, the walls that are their are to block the A1A area and give the homes some privacy . RIP so sad and senseless way to die.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, so sad and unnecessary. 116 in a 25-30 zone = no excuses! Neither Tesla nor the NTSB have been able to offer up any reason for the battery to re-ignite twice after the crash. This ignition issue has happened before in other Tesla cars.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I would be amazed if any car going 116 mph that hit a few walls would not catch fire. The friction alone would seem to do it.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, so sad and unnecessary. 116 in a 25-30 zone = no excuses! Neither Tesla nor the NTSB have been able to offer up any reason for the battery to re-ignite twice after the crash. This ignition issue has happened before in other Tesla cars.

It has to be whatever is in the batteries. When Richard Hammond wrecked that electric supercar they said it kept catching fire.

Redacted by the Law Offices of John J. Garvey using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It has to be whatever is in the batteries. When Richard Hammond wrecked that electric supercar they said it kept catching fire.

Redacted by the Law Offices of John J. Garvey using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep same deal, batteries of all types are fairly volatile when compromised, Li batteries are no exception. The batteries in these cars are probably 1000+ lbs, that’s a big fuel source for a fire.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ehh..... not a big fan of the Tesla. At least not of the culture the owners have created. Elitist snobs driving around on a rolling napalm rig.

If the car was not in auto pilot mode and it was manually driven to 100 in a 30 zone, they got what they deserved.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ehh..... not a big fan of the Tesla. At least not of the culture the owners have created. Elitist snobs driving around on a rolling napalm rig.

If the car was not in auto pilot mode and it was manually driven to 100 in a 30 zone, they got what they deserved.

Meh, same attitude the Prius owners had 20 years ago.

I don't get all the hate for Tesla however. Car is not my cup of tea, but it's amazing they've held on so long and brought a new brand to market. That just doesn't happen.

As for the recent hysteria around deaths an accidents.

Okay - Like 5 dead driving Tesla's this year so far, and 20,500 dead in everything else.

Last year saw a 1% drop in fatalities from 2016, however... that 1% drop does not take in consideration the drop in licensed drivers and registered vehicles. While vehicles have become dramatically safer - accident frequency remains high and fatalities are not dropping at a proportionate rate to the increased safety. Essentially, drivers are getting worse.... *Selfie*

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Tesla has a bunch of warnings for first responders about how to deal with battery fires. You need a minimum of something like 3,000 gallons and have to isolate the vehicle for 48 hours because the battery will keep re-igniting for at least that long. There is video of one that crashed in Austria that kept lighting up and driving the fire fighters crazy.

08mojo

Established Member
Tesla owners are on another level with that shit. Hell even Lexus hybrid owners aren't terrible. ..yes the Prius drivers were and still are annoying.

I'm currently driving a prius for work. Everyone treats you like an asshole on the road...no one lets you in, everyone tries to keep in front of you, etc... I can see how daily prius drivers get a chip on their shoulder. That said, I'd rock a tesla, but no way in hell I could live daily with prius--I absolutely hate this car.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm currently driving a prius for work. Everyone treats you like an asshole on the road...no one lets you in, everyone tries to keep in front of you, etc... I can see how daily prius drivers get a chip on their shoulder. That said, I'd rock a tesla, but no way in hell I could live daily with prius--I absolutely hate this car.

Tells me the people of Atlanta are good folk.

j/k

I would rock a Tesla anyday too. Would get over the lack of noise with that torque.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

LOL....what came first, the chicken or the egg. My buddy used to be a logistics mgr for best buy in the Houston area, they gave him a Prius to drive for work, he ****ing hated it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ill be the first to admit, I think the fuel mileage of a Prius or my soon to be turned in CT200h is absolutely phenomenal.

Its the Prius owners that hyper mile in the fast lane, or just have an air of elitism because "they are doing right by the planet".

Lol, um, no the **** you aren't. The amount of air pollution and soil pollution cause by the mining operations to pull all those rare earth minerals out of the ground is ridiculous.

01yellercobra

Established Member

Sounds like the same stuff I deal with in my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread