Terrible neighbor kid (rental house) terrorizing neighborhood.

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
We have a rental house on our street that has always had good, quiet renters.

July of 22 a family moved in, a mother and 3-4 kids, the youngest (15ish) roams the neighborhood with his “gang” of friends. All of who are suspected of vandalizing the local park with graffiti, catching garbage cans on fire, ect…

Cops have been at their house three times in the last week alone and countless times prior, recently for suspension of tampering with the neighbor next doors breaker box and loitering in the same neighbors yard and driveway.

They have fought in the street, stomped countless cacti around the neighborhood, including mine.

The cops usually just tell them to knock it off and they’re back at it within minutes of the cops leaving, the mother is absolutely useless and has said she gave up on the kid and doesn’t care what he does.

Is there a way to contact the landlord and complain about the renters?

What would you do as a law abiding citizen?

LS WUT

Established Member
I’d say there should be a way to try and reach out to the landlord. I’d try and do that first and see what he says, and or handled the situation. This of course is my retort to being a law abiding citizen. There are many other things that come to mind when it comes to handling that kinda stuff. It’s very frustrating to hear horror stories like this. I’m unsure on how you’d get the home owners contact information, maybe a local realtor would have the information?

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
I’d say there should be a way to try and reach out to the landlord. I’d try and do that first and see what he says, and or handled the situation. This of course is my retort to being a law abiding citizen. There are many other things that come to mind when it comes to handling that kinda stuff. It’s very frustrating to hear horror stories like this. I’m unsure on how you’d get the home owners contact information, maybe a local realtor would have the information?
I asked a realtor friend for home owner info but she said couldn’t (or wouldn’t) give it to me because she can’t access it.

I’m going to contact the county appraiser and or public records dept.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Couple things come to mind -

Sometimes HOA's have a no renters policy. If so what the owners are doing is against the HOA rules. Makes sense when you think about what HOA stands for.

Otherwise, leases often have a no criminal behavior rule written into the lease. Get the misbehavior caught on video, get the kid charged and raise hell with the landlord and if that doesn't work then sue the landlord and family in small claims court.

Guessing dad isn't around in this situation?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The following post is merely a suggestion and should not be considered legal advice -

Sue the renter and the landlord for committing/maintaining private nuisance. Once the landlord starts coming out of pocket due to his renter he'll probably find a reason to evict.

Regardless of the state, isn't eviction really difficult to do, and take 6-12 months, even if the renters are terrible?

That was the main reason why I always stayed away from it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The following post is merely a suggestion and should not be considered legal advice -

Sue the renter and the landlord for committing/maintaining private nuisance. Once the landlord starts coming out of pocket due to his renter he'll probably find a reason to evict.
I like this suggestion!

Regardless of the state, isn't eviction really difficult to do, and take 6-12 months, even if the renters are terrible?

That was the main reason why I always stayed away from it.
It might take some time, but it also might be the only recourse, outside of presenting actual criminal damage/actions evidence (ie. video) to the police. Even then, the police in the OPs area might not be as helpful or responsive as he expects/wants.
Not always.
True. It does depend on the state. OP will need to check how an eviction process works in his state. In the end, outside of criminal evidence that results in an arrest of the kid, poking the landlord and renter with a lawsuit might be the only recourse the OP has if the HOA can't or won't do anything. As already pointed out, if this starts hitting the landlord's wallet, he might want them out, and that would mean filing for eviction.

rborden

Established Member
Property tax records are public info, can get a name and address from that
This.

All he has to do is go to the county assessor's website and search property records. You'll get the name, house address and mailing address for the homeowner.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

Landlord will most likely toss the renters first, but depends on rental agreement. If they're in violation of HOA regs, then they be given notice.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Good luck if they are part of a government program to lift urban or poverty level families.

But HOA you say! You were given the Covenants when you moved there. Whip that sucker out. Take photos and sent to HOA. Let other neighbors know and go on full frontal assault of violations. The family will usually have so many days to comply or start daily fines until compliance.

Makes me shiver thinking about what i am recommending.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
The internet provides a wealth of info, such as finding home owners, much of which many think personal info isn’t obtainable unless going through “pay” services, but it is…

Look up your home State’s Court System, Land/Lot tax system, Criminal system, Business verification services, etc. Usually those systems don’t require any login, just captcha verifications. In some states you have to create a user id/pw. Once you get into those public sites, you just search for the info you’re seeking.

One CAN find Home Deeds, Home Sale docs, and other pertinent docs such as even if the home was refinanced, info with the transfer of sale between the individuals who bought/sold, etc. you have to DIG, but it’s readily available to anyone. Which is another reason your “private” info (and hand written sig) isn’t really so “private” anywhere at all. The same can be done by back tracing on business owned, etc. The key is - you have to have a starting point, that is all. Once you have that starting point, you’d be amazed at what you can find by bouncing off of certain elements returned in search results.

To start, look up the address on Zillow - you will see when the house last sold. Use that address and date as your starting reference when searching for the docs. Once you hit on a doc, you’ll find what you’re seeking.

Users who are viewing this thread