Terminator VS 2010 SS Camaro

Nickolassin

Established Member
Wow. What a headache I have... I read 6 pages in and things got nuts. Listen, IMO what's sad is the Camaro didn't have traction problems... and it still lost. What's sad is everything on the car is optional. Yes, if I buy the car I don't want to pay for gauges. Who the hell can see out of that thing anyways...I am 6'2 and it's like a chop top in that car. I am surprised these things aren't fused in with trees and telephone poles everywhere I go. YES, I went to look at one!!!! I say screw all these damn companies. GM, and yes you to FORD... lets get back to 1960's pricing. Please. You want to sell cars... hell try dropping the price.
Also... FORD.... please, for the sake of all that is holy... let the new 5.0 wipe the floor with the Camaro and let the new Shelbys make them look like they're parked... that way I don't have to read 6 pages of technical crap on why the Camaro deserves any sympathy... and why people are looking at the Terminator Cobra like it has the wings of an angel... but also like a demon because it won. Duh. It is what...5 ...6 years old? It's damn sexy that a car that old is mopping the floor with a new Camaro. FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: If your Camaro doesn't transform into a robot I don't want to hear about it
Good kill. Great kill. Sexy kill. OP

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Wow. What a headache I have... I read 6 pages in and things got nuts. Listen, IMO what's sad is the Camaro didn't have traction problems... and it still lost. What's sad is everything on the car is optional. Yes, if I buy the car I don't want to pay for gauges. Who the hell can see out of that thing anyways...I am 6'2 and it's like a chop top in that car. I am surprised these things aren't fused in with trees and telephone poles everywhere I go. YES, I went to look at one!!!! I say screw all these damn companies. GM, and yes you to FORD... lets get back to 1960's pricing. Please. You want to sell cars... hell try dropping the price.
Also... FORD.... please, for the sake of all that is holy... let the new 5.0 wipe the floor with the Camaro and let the new Shelbys make them look like they're parked... that way I don't have to read 6 pages of technical crap on why the Camaro deserves any sympathy... and why people are looking at the Terminator Cobra like it has the wings of an angel... but also like a demon because it won. Duh. It is what...5 ...6 years old? It's damn sexy that a car that old is mopping the floor with a new Camaro. FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: If your Camaro doesn't transform into a robot I don't want to hear about it

lol :lol:

good rant

03CobraBro

Established Member
And the Termi is light?
The new SS is just as fast as the Cobra all-motor...IMO thats impressive.

Nice runs.

However the new Camaro that has an additional 140hp over the LS1's of old still only runs a couple tenths of a second faster than the 5th gen... That's not too impressive IMO.

A little on the tinky side of ya ask me. :)

Also!

I think its funny that when the 03 Cobra came out everyone was saying that if GM had built a comparable year Camaro or Firebird it would have surpassed the SVT's perforamance. Yet here we are almost 8 years since the 03 Cobra's release with damn near a decade worth of technology, half a liter of displacement, an almost inconceivable jump in hp :D, and they still produce a slower car... :shrug: Much less what the new 5.0's will be able to do, much much less what the current Cobra's can do.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
However the new Camaro that has an additional 140hp over the LS1's of old still only runs a couple tenths of a second faster than the 5th gen... That's not too impressive IMO....

M6 LS1's typically dyno ~300 RWHP (some quite a bit more). M6 LS3 Camaro's are typically around 360 RWHP.

Do the math. There is not a 140 HP difference - not even close.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
M6 LS1's typically dyno ~300 RWHP (some quite a bit more). M6 LS3 Camaro's are typically around 360 RWHP.

Do the math. There is not a 140 HP difference - not even close.

x2.. look at the weight difference and rwhp numbers and it's obvious why the gap isn't as large as it looks on paper (using rated HP numbers).:beer:

2001 Camaro Z28 M6 (MTI LID/FRA/1LE Springs)
My Best - Bone Stock - 13.19 @ 108.59mph 2.1 60ft
322rwhp/341rwtrq (FRA)- 3440 curb / 3600 raceweight

FMX05

Established Member
However the new Camaro that has an additional 140hp over the LS1's of old still only runs a couple tenths of a second faster than the 5th gen... That's not too impressive IMO.

A little on the tinky side of ya ask me. :)

Also!

I think its funny that when the 03 Cobra came out everyone was saying that if GM had built a comparable year Camaro or Firebird it would have surpassed the SVT's perforamance. Yet here we are almost 8 years since the 03 Cobra's release with damn near a decade worth of technology, half a liter of displacement, an almost inconceivable jump in hp :D, and they still produce a slower car... :shrug: Much less what the new 5.0's will be able to do, much much less what the current Cobra's can do.

You are leaving out the weight variable. 350lbs of standard options and safety equipment close the gap quite a bit. Most well driven M6 4th gens trap 107-108. 5th gens are still trapping 2-3mph more than that even with the added weight. There are plenty of recorded runs in the 12.80's on street tires. With a good drag radial they should drop a tenth and a half or so. It's not like it's slow or anything...

T1000MaCh1

Blown
Established Member

Perfectly said!

Formula51

Established Member
You are leaving out the weight variable. 350lbs of standard options and safety equipment close the gap quite a bit. Most well driven M6 4th gens trap 107-108. 5th gens are still trapping 2-3mph more than that even with the added weight. There are plenty of recorded runs in the 12.80's on street tires. With a good drag radial they should drop a tenth and a half or so. It's not like it's slow or anything...

Not sure if you guys saw this, but a bone stock Camaro recently went 12.58 @ 110.3 mph with just a 1.97 60' time.

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1558955#post1558955]Official 1/4 Mile 2010 Camaro Fast List - Page 11 - Camaro Forum - 2010 Camaro 2011 Camaro / Camaro Z28 SS Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

That is pretty darn impressive for such a heavy car with relatively poor gearing. A 1.8x 60' time should be doable and in great conditions would put the fastest stock 5th Gen Camaro time about equal to the fastest stock Terminator time. Not too shabby.

Has Evan Smith ran a 5th Gen Camaro at Atco yet (usually makes his runs with great track prep)?

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That is pretty darn impressive for such a heavy car with relatively poor gearing. A 1.8x 60' time should be doable and in great conditions would put the fastest stock 5th Gen Camaro time about equal to the fastest stock Terminator time. Not too shabby.

You mean quickest..;-) I believe the highest trap is 113mph, while some have claimed 114mph in a stock 03-04 Cobra. It's too bad more people didn't run 03-04 Cobras stock to get the best possible time in perfect conditions. There was never an official list or anything like that, people almost immediately started modding them.

Pretty crazy ETs for the 5th gen Camaro though, basically trapping what the 13 second ones trap but running 5-6tenths quicker.

Formula51

Established Member
You mean quickest..;-) I believe the highest trap is 113mph, while some have claimed 114mph in a stock 03-04 Cobra. It's too bad more people didn't run 03-04 Cobras stock to get the best possible time in perfect conditions. There was never an official list or anything like that, people almost immediately started modding them.

Pretty crazy ETs for the 5th gen Camaro though, basically trapping what the 13 second ones trap but running 5-6tenths quicker.

Yes, I meant quickest but we are seeing more and more traps in the 109mph+ range which is pretty good. Fastest I think I have seen is 111mph and a couple 110mph.

I agree, I wish more ran the Cobra's stock, but then again, VERY few ever beat Evan Smiths times as he runs at a very fast track and almost always has incredible track prep, not to mention he is a great driver. I don't think anyone has beat his GT500 times and I don't think anyone beat his 4th Gen Camaro time (ehh, maybe 1 or 2).

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Yes, I meant quickest but we are seeing more and more traps in the 109mph+ range which is pretty good. Fastest I think I have seen is 111mph and a couple 110mph.

I agree, I wish more ran the Cobra's stock, but then again, VERY few ever beat Evan Smiths times as he runs at a very fast track and almost always has incredible track prep, not to mention he is a great driver. I don't think anyone has beat his GT500 times and I don't think anyone beat his 4th Gen Camaro time (ehh, maybe 1 or 2).

That's true, Evan Smith's times are impressive. His times aren't created equal though, obviously since weather & car conditions varied, (03-04 Cobras have put down anywhere from 360-390rwhp).

Also, he's run times that have been beaten by 2-3+ tenths before, (C5Z, C6Z, Viper). Obviously, the only ones who beat him are the guys like Ranger and Jamie who run their cars 50-60 times then take their cars to MIR and ATCO in crazy conditions and get freak times. It's pretty much possible with any platform, and it looks like 5th gen guys are doing just that. :rockon:

Formula51

Established Member
That's true, Evan Smith's times are impressive. His times aren't created equal though, obviously since weather & car conditions varied, (03-04 Cobras have put down anywhere from 360-390rwhp).

Also, he's run times that have been beaten by 2-3+ tenths before, (C5Z, C6Z, Viper). Obviously, the only ones who beat him are the guys like Ranger and Jamie who run their cars 50-60 times then take their cars to MIR and ATCO in crazy conditions and get freak times. It's pretty much possible with any platform, and it looks like 5th gen guys are doing just that. :rockon:

Yeah, I didn't count the Corvette times because of Ranger, haha. He has a sickness.

I didnt think a 12.5 or better would be possible from a 2010 Camaro so I was really surprsied that it has already been done and with a 1.97 60' time at that. I thought 12.6 would be the very best we would see and even that would be pushing it. Pretty amazing for such a heavy car really with what I and many others (yourself included I believe) think is terrible gearing.

This gives my VERY high hopes for the 2011 Mustang GT with its MUCH BETTER gearing. It is going to be awesome to watch.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Not sure if you guys saw this, but a bone stock Camaro recently went 12.58 @ 110.3 mph with just a 1.97 60' time.

Official 1/4 Mile 2010 Camaro Fast List - Page 11 - Camaro Forum - 2010 Camaro 2011 Camaro / Camaro Z28 SS Forums - Camaro5.com

Has Evan Smith ran a 5th Gen Camaro at Atco yet (usually makes his runs with great track prep)?

I'm sorry..someone has to step up who isn't drinking the kool aid.

DA +1395 ft

That glory pass CORRECTS DOWN to 12.43 @ 112.02

Lets all think about that for a bit....

Users who are viewing this thread