Terminator horsepower

drewbhot

SVT member
Established Member
Hey all. I have a question about stock terminator horsepower. According to a ford tech and alot of people. Stock terminators come with approximatly 390 horses. I just talked to a buddy of mine who had his terminator dynoed to get a stock tune, and he said he heard somewhere that they were underated for automotive standards, and they actually put down close to 425ish. He said his has 420. Is this true. Does anyone know what the stock termi put down rwh?

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I'd find it hard to believe a stock Terminator put down 420 RWHP like your buddie stated, but I guess anything is possible, but very unlikely.

04Venom

Established Member
Ford's rating of 390 HP was at the flywheel. Given the range of 360-380 HP at the rear wheels, 425 at the flywheel is in the ballpark.

SpectorV

Established Member
EvanStang said:
I'd find it hard to believe a stock Terminator put down 420 RWHP like your buddie stated, but I guess anything is possible, but very unlikely.

I think you dont understand exactly what he ment. He means his stock flywheel hp was 420~ so 30hp over what it was rated at from ford.

If the car dynos at 390 then calculate around 17.5% loss and you will get around its rwhp dyno~ since most terminators dyno at around 360~ thats 420bhp

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Assuming a 16% drivetrain loss
That's my biggest problem with all the under-rating talk. I've seen people use so many different percentages that I can't assume anything. It'd be nice to know the actual number range that the drivetrain soaks up.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
15% is what I've always heard for stick cars too. Autos can vary a bit but I've usually heard 17% for those.
Plus, it's not like someone pulled these numbers from their a$$. It's very easy to determine based on tranny and rearend efficiency (all gears have a known efficiency) or comparing chassis dyno to engine dyno #s.

Last edited:

drewbhot

SVT member
Established Member
EvanStang said:

No, it was at the flywheel. So it is believable then....

Wow, so stock terminators can put down 360 to 390 at the wheels huh. Nice.

Mystic03

Established Member
how much hp do procharged GT's produce i raced one a little bitagon and got him by half a car he had fullexhaust tune and the procharger and my mods are mufflers and K@N does this sounds right?

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
well you buddu must of been talking about flywheel HP b/c the rwhp of most 03/04 cobras is 360-390 depending on elevation and weather mine dynoed out at 388rwhp and 358rwtq on a mustang dyno

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
You should use 15%. No way is it 25%. My '04 did 428 rwhp and 395 rwtq on a Dynojet. The only power mods are a K & N FIPK and JBA mufflers.

Lawman

Established Member
Unfortunately, my '03 was flooded during Katrina.(It was under 9 feet of water)
About a month before the storm, I had the car dynoed, and with only a set of magnaflow mufflers, my car put down 405 H.P. to the rear wheels. The temperature was at or about 85 degrees.
After the tech tuned my car using the SCT Excalibrator II custom tuner, my car put down 457 H.P./450 lbs. of torque, with 11 lbs. of boost, using the 2.93 pulley swap, and K & N filter.
I was planning on installing a full Bassani exhaust, swapping the MAF, but the storm hit, and we lost everything.

5.0Stanger

You're kidding, right?
Established Member
Lawman said:
Unfortunately, my '03 was flooded during Katrina.(It was under 9 feet of water)
About a month before the storm, I had the car dynoed, and with only a set of magnaflow mufflers, my car put down 405 H.P. to the rear wheels. The temperature was at or about 85 degrees.
After the tech tuned my car using the SCT Excalibrator II custom tuner, my car put down 457 H.P./450 lbs. of torque, with 11 lbs. of boost, using the 2.93 pulley swap, and K & N filter.
I was planning on installing a full Bassani exhaust, swapping the MAF, but the storm hit, and we lost everything.

Damn. That's too bad you lost yours to Katrina. Hope you get another one.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your car Lawman. Hope everything works out for you and you are back in a Terminator soon.

mrose75

Established Member
Yeah, that sux. I'm sure you're worried about things other than the car though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Use 15-16% drivetrain loss.

2003/2004 Cobras have dynoed from 340-395rwhp as reported here and elsewhere. Average is 365-370. A couple have claimed in the 400-410 area. My '03 made 363 and a friend's '04 made 393. Both bone stock.

Users who are viewing this thread