Terminator Bubble???

subobo0411

Established Member
Are that many people really financing these cars still? They’re 15 years old and I would just think most banks wouldn’t recognize the full value of these cars and go by blue book if they would even finance them at all. I would imagine those that are able to get financing have to be paying an absurd interest rate. My guess is the people buying the high dollar low mileage terminators aren’t financing them.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Are that many people really financing these cars still? They’re 15 years old and I would just think most banks wouldn’t recognize the full value of these cars and go by blue book if they would even finance them at all. I would imagine those that are able to get financing have to be paying an absurd interest rate. My guess is the people buying the high dollar low mileage terminators aren’t financing them.
I've been pretty much a cash buyer for the pat 30 years on most cars, but I had to look into this since I have one for sale. I see where it appears that some credit unions, and others, finance up to 125% of the value of a vehicle based upon the borrower's credit-worthiness. I guess this is how people end up "upside down" in their daily drivers when trading up. The banks let 'em.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member

I think it would surprise you how many terminators are financed today.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
These cars are in a good spot for what they are, and they probably won't go down. I don't see them rocketing up either though.
The performance per dollar ratio is very good and that has affected the value over the years even as new cars have come out. Also, they produced less than 20k, not 400k so the supply hasn't outstripped the demand. Most people have found very little trouble finding a buyer. When cars sit on the market for too long the seller tends to get impatient and drops the price.
I dont think you should sit on your car to save its value. There are some very low mile, original cars that are worth top dollar right now. IF the price were to go up, those would be most affected. It is possible that they will command a collector's price in 30 years, but I'm not placing bets on it. You would be far better served taking the 30k value of your Cobra and putting it into investments... by a long shot.
If you have one of the rare gems worth collecting now, I would personally list it. Take the money, put 10k into investments and the rest into a different Terminator that you can enjoy. Leave the collecting to the big time guys who can afford to have cars sit and collect dust.

pwrshft99

Established Member
I've been reading lately how the value of all muscle cars might soon be decreasing, both vintage and relatively modern.

The younger generation is not into things like sports and cars like previous generations were.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I've been reading lately how the value of all muscle cars might soon be decreasing, both vintage and relatively modern.

The younger generation is not into things like sports and cars like previous generations were.
What?
LOL... I beg to differ. I might agree that muscle cars are on the way out, but not all cars. Car culture still seems strong amongst the kids I have seen.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From Hagerty's valuation guide, specifically 2004 Terminator vert. FWIW, YMMV, IDK, IYSS, ISWYDT...

Concourse, Excellent, Good, Fair
View attachment 1475769
That's good and pretty accurate info. I've noticed that it is becoming increasingly common to see Terminators for sale with extensive motor/drivetrain mods, including fuel systems, twin-screw setups, full exhaust, support mods, yadda, yadda. Depending on the condition of the car, quality of mods and quality of the installation, those premium mods (usually exceeding $5,000 original cost) can push the car book value higher, and rightfully so.

pwrshft99

Established Member
What?
LOL... I beg to differ. I might agree that muscle cars are on the way out, but not all cars. Car culture still seems strong amongst the kids I have seen.

Idk man, look at the 15 and under crowd. Teens these days? It's all about technology. Very, very few schools have hands on shop classes like I grew up with.

I'm 38, in my day all me and my friends wanted was the freedom that came with having my own car!! My son is going on 9 and I think there's a good possibility he won't even own a car with the way to world is progressing. Gas, oil, insurance, car payment etc?? It will be very appealing to use something like a subscription car service. Play on your phone the entire ride. I think that's the direction we are heading.

GodStang

Established Member
What?

The scene is nothing like it was even 10 yrs ago. A lot has to do with the fact a 3 yr old muscle car 10 yrs ago you could get for between $9K-$15K. Now the same muscle cars 3 yrs old are $25k-$35K.

Also so much is controlled by computers now a days that the average Joe can’t mod them. 2003 Mustang you could put CAI and full exhaust and not have to have a tune. Now with just a CAI you do. That gets pricey.

You can go to a car show or cruise-ins around here an 99% of the people showing are 30 and above. 10 yrs ago it was probably 50% 18-30 and 50% 30 and over. Now the sub 30 people you do see have 2005 and older mustangs and Camaros and Vettes.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I lightly watch Terminator prices and closely watch Mystichrome prices. Terminator prices are all over the map. Some colors command higher prices than others and miles/mods/condition drastically affect values. That said, I have seen a linear/steady price increase on the Mystichrome cars. I sold my first one for a nice premium above what I bought it for and I paid good money for my current one. I don’t see this trend plateauing or reversing. The demand has been strong and I don’t see that going away.

subobo0411

Established Member
I just don’t get the allure to mystichrome cars. I think they look ok in direct sunlight, but what’s attractive about a purple/green car!?! There are more rare and attractive colors IMO. But that’s a whole different thread.

Like one of the earlier posts states, these cars are still competitive performance wise compared to newer cars that I’m sure helps hold the value in these cars although that’s quickly changing. 400 - 600 hp isn’t anything anymore. My family SUV has more HP than cobras from the 90’s. That’s how quickly things change. Will there always be some demand for these cars...yes, of course. There’s always someone out there that’s drawn to a sports car, but will these cars continue to go up in value or will the bubble pop, only time will tell...

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I just don’t get the allure to mystichrome cars. I think they look ok in direct sunlight, but what’s attractive about a purple/green car!?! There are more rare and attractive colors IMO. But that’s a whole different thread.

They are not everyone’s cup of tea, but the demand is strong for them. The paint is ridiculous and always gets a lot of attention when out. Also, Mystichrome and anniversary cars have upgraded interiors, everything else is “just a color.”

I never get tired of staring at that POPPING paint!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just don’t get the allure to mystichrome cars. I think they look ok in direct sunlight, but what’s attractive about a purple/green car!?! There are more rare and attractive colors IMO. But that’s a whole different thread.[\QUOTE]. At least part of it is the uniqueness of it. They only made a thousand and unlike every other color you don’t see them everyday or at car shows hardly and rarely do you see multiples. Withe the number that have been wrecked they are getting harder to find

Users who are viewing this thread