Temps under control... I think.

racebronco2

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Carlos is my hero.

Well thanks ashley,
It was more out of desperation of not having confidence in our cars while open tracking them in temps over 80 degrees. It is such a relief not worrying about the temps and just being able to drive them as hard as you want.:pepper:

racebronco2

Established Member
Picture of the radiator/he undertray

As you can see i blocked off from the bumper cover to the heat xchange, that piece is flat on the front and back but the side are tucked in above the bumper cover. The piece the goes from the heat xchanger to the radiator support actually has the front edge bent down 1/2 to fit tightly into the heat xchanger bracket. Lastly the piece that has the little black screws into is a piece of aluminum bent so that it makes a 90 degree turn, and that piece is holding the center of the 3" gardening strip in place.

Shot with X-2,C-50Z at 2007-07-06

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
Well thanks ashley,
It was more out of desperation of not having confidence in our cars while open tracking them in temps over 80 degrees. It is such a relief not worrying about the temps and just being able to drive them as hard as you want.:pepper:

Well we seem to thing of the same things to do, you just do them first. :pepper:

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Awesome info, thanks!

Now it's time to get to work, hopefully I can get some good results when I do Homestead in Aug. It doesn't get much hotter than that.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Good job on your ducting RACEBRONCO2! Mine used to be similar before I did the full size HE.;-)
I cannot say enough airflow, off all my cooling mods, these ducting mods are the real thing for our cars if you want OT them at the limit!
Now it is fully boxed in and sealed to the radsupport, running all he way up the sides, a top piece screwed to the bumper support was still missing on this pic

IMG_1112.jpg

I also did the waterpump pulley,

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

and another track pic...
venom2.gif

racebronco2

Established Member
Looks real nice venom525rwhp. I thought about the bigger water pump pulley but since i do use my cobra to go out in it might not cool enough in city traffic.

racebronco2

Established Member
datalogged in 107 degree weather

Beginning of the run it was
iat 114* ect 200* iat2 137*

The end of the run high numbers
iat 114* ect 226* iat2 161

now if you average the numbers
iat 113.5* ect 215* iat2 152.

So it looks like if you haul ass in the first few laps the numbers look pretty good. Towards the ending laps you need to concentrate ect control, like shifting early to keep the rev's down.

sleepless

Established Member
First thanks for all the tips on cooling. Thanks to all you guys, I now have a nice aluminum shroud and deeper front spoiler. I'll be testing the effectiveness next Tuesday; should be in the 80's...

896940323_9d35dd42e7_o.jpg

sleepless

Established Member
Well, the results were not as great as I had hoped. ECT on an 80F degree day hovered around 230F with dips into 236F when running hard (chasing a 997 Turbo for 30 minutes :) ).

Since racebronco2 had good results with opening up the hood vents, I'm going to try something simpler; cut some big ass holes in the hood, aft of the stock vents (like the ones you see in many front engined race cars). Next track day is Aug 20th.

Removing the fog lights to allow direct air to the oil cooler seemed to work great (even though I've got a fan).

Diff temps hit 275F chasing that 997 Turbo so am going to install a fan on the diff cooler; I don't think there enough air flow back there to be effective.

Last edited:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Yeah, I think we have to give the big hood vents a try. A couple weeks ago I ran the Dunnville Autodrome with temps deep in the 80's and my ECT got up to 230 on a few laps chasing a track prepped RX7 and a C6 Z06!:shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I think you went too far back on your under panel. There is no way for air to get up into the radiator from the bottom, so the deeper airdam is useless.

sleepless

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I think you went too far back on your under panel. There is no way for air to get up into the radiator from the bottom, so the deeper airdam is useless.

The air dam exists to create negative air pressure behind the radiator, not to force air into it.

Others have show that even in stock form, no air goes up into the radiator from the bottom; in fact, air escapes down and out between the H/E and radiator. This was the reasoning for extending the under panel between the H/E and radiator. Basically, I copied Racebronco2's design.

Could be wrong of course. But so far, no one has produced evidence that keeping the opening between the H/E and radiator is better than closing it.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:

Sleepless is correct, at least that is what i found out when i video'd it.

Sleepless the vents look good.:rockon:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
sleepless said:
The air dam exists to create negative air pressure behind the radiator, not to force air into it.

Others have show that even in stock form, no air goes up into the radiator from the bottom; in fact, air escapes down and out between the H/E and radiator. This was the reasoning for extending the under panel between the H/E and radiator. Basically, I copied Racebronco2's design.

Could be wrong of course. But so far, no one has produced evidence that keeping the opening between the H/E and radiator is better than closing it.

I have heard these cars pull most of their air though the bottom. i know most modern cars do. I do remember seeing Carlos' video. If I remember correctly the strings were placed on the bottom of the airdam. I could be wrong as it has been awhile.

My brother's 01 Camaro has a similar design and the airdam pulls air though the radiator from the bottom, and has no holes in the front of the car for airflow. If you covered the hole you would get no airflow to the radiator. The air dam catches air and forces it up, and it is sucked out by the lower pressure behind the air dam.

By sealing up the car under the front end you are getting all of the air through the front (obviously) My thought is that the deeper airdam is not as critical with such a setup. I could be wrong as well, mabye we need some more proof of concept

I might try leaving it open and sealing just the area around the heat exchanger to see if I get different results.

Users who are viewing this thread