racebronco2 said:
I have three words to say: CREDIT CARD BALANCE

bruce aren't you up past your bedtime?

WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :cryying:

I'm going to be one crabby sum bish in the morning!!!! :fart:

racebronco2

Established Member
datalogged today in 102 degree weather

It seems from datalogging that engine temps effect iat-2's more then outside temps. If engine temps were over 200* iat-2's were over 130*.If temps were under 200* iat-2 were under 130*. I did not include any temps if the rpms were under 3000 at the beginning( pre-grid) or at the end(cool down lap and driving to the pits). I am using the time line on the predator ;

averages iat-1 ect iat-2
12000 - 27000 106 189 129

30000-45000 104 188 127

48000-66000 102 190 127

69000-84000 104 200 134

87000-105000 104 207 144

108000-126000 105 210 147

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Yeah those are great IAT2s for the open track especially as hot as it was yesterday. That hood mod is definitely a factor. Getting all that engine compartment heat out is really important.

racebronco2

Established Member
It seems that my autometer gauge is not reading the same as the ecu. Up to 190 degrees they are both the same. Higher then that the autometer gauge reads a couple of degrees higher and at about 210 degrees the autometer reads 5 degrees higher then the ecu.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
It seems that my autometer gauge is not reading the same as the ecu. Up to 190 degrees they are both the same. Higher then that the autometer gauge reads a couple of degrees higher and at about 210 degrees the autometer reads 5 degrees higher then the ecu.

My autometer sender is in the drivers side block drain and it rarely reads the same as the ecu. It is usually + or - 5 degrees depending on what I am doing.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I'm starting to rethink my placement of the sensor in the block. I've gotten the exhaust hot enough to melt the plastic on the tank cover and to turn the tips blue. I'm thinking that the heat from the exhaust manifold is soaking the brass sending unit, making the gauge read higher than it would if it were, say, teed into the crossover tube with the factory sender.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Have you logged the temps off the ECU and viewed the guage? If it is less than 10 degrees different, I would view that as acceptable.

There is quite a bit of air moving through the engine bay at speed.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Interresting. I have the same thing going on...
My autometer sender is screwed into the filler plug but still reads up to -8F different to the ECU readings of the Predator. At normal speeds the Predator would read 180-182F vs 188-190F on the Autometer Ultalight guage.

racebronco2

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
I'm starting to rethink my placement of the sensor in the block. I've gotten the exhaust hot enough to melt the plastic on the tank cover and to turn the tips blue. I'm thinking that the heat from the exhaust manifold is soaking the brass sending unit, making the gauge read higher than it would if it were, say, teed into the crossover tube with the factory sender.

My sending unit is in the block also but since i have the aluminum block the sending unit is not at the rear of the block it is (at the motormount) hidden by the motormount.

sleepless

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
It seems from datalogging that engine temps effect iat-2's more then outside temps. If engine temps were over 200* iat-2's were over 130*.If temps were under 200* iat-2 were under 130*. I did not include any temps if the rpms were under 3000 at the beginning( pre-grid) or at the end(cool down lap and driving to the pits). I am using the time line on the predator ;

I was starting to suspect the same thing; engine coolant temp affects IAT2 temp. This would explain why my IAT2s are so high at the track; I see coolant temps between 220-235 (but tomorrow is my first track day with the full Evans Cooling system, including external oil cooler :) So, we will be able to test the ECT/IAT2 temp theory?

Thanks for the great info!

racebronco2

Established Member
sleepless said:
I was starting to suspect the same thing; engine coolant temp affects IAT2 temp. This would explain why my IAT2s are so high at the track; I see coolant temps between 220-235 (but tomorrow is my first track day with the full Evans Cooling system, including external oil cooler :) So, we will be able to test the ECT/IAT2 temp theory?

Thanks for the great info!

It would make sense since the blower is bolted to the block and the heat would radiate into anythging that was bolted to the engine.

sleepless

Established Member
Evans Cooling System definitely works! I was able to drive complete 30min sessions with no overheating problems today, for the first time! Yahoo!!!

But damn is it an expensive mod ... ouch!

Anway, my water temp peaked at 236 and stayed there. Before it would just shoot to 245 and limp mode within 15 minutes.

Now I'm going to try the 2.94" pulley (have the 3.1" now)...

I still see IAT2 in the 160's (not too surprising given it was running at 236 ECT). I suppose it's now time to look at some shrouding and possibly a deeper "spoiler" (the rubber strip below the radiator).

sleepless

Established Member
This VIS Racing carbon fiber hood looks like it combines the heat extractors from both the Cobra and Cobra R; should be pretty effective.

727747945_bff11198e3_o.jpg

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
The radiator is boxed on the sides and the bottom. I fabricated a piece of aluminum to go from the front bumper to the radiator support. I removed the lip under the bumper and replaced it with 3" gardening edging
undercar001wincedy6.jpg
[/IMG]

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
sleepless said:
Evans Cooling System definitely works! I was able to drive complete 30min sessions with no overheating problems today, for the first time! Yahoo!!!

But damn is it an expensive mod ... ouch!

Anway, my water temp peaked at 236 and stayed there. Before it would just shoot to 245 and limp mode within 15 minutes.

Now I'm going to try the 2.94" pulley (have the 3.1" now)...

I still see IAT2 in the 160's (not too surprising given it was running at 236 ECT). I suppose it's now time to look at some shrouding and possibly a deeper "spoiler" (the rubber strip below the radiator).

Glad your cooling system is working out. Now do the ducting and you should drop another 10-15F!
When my temps get into the 230's & 160's I loose around 15km/h on the backstraight of Mosport. Try and keep your temps under 220/140 if you can, your car will work a lot better.
Last time out with my 3.400 setup I was passing a 2.93 pullied Cobra on the backstraight. ( I must add he went into limp mode 2 laps later!)

Users who are viewing this thread