Talk to me about these suspension/steering mods

cobraracer46

Banned
On another note, I do invite you to come to the track with me. VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta, Reobling, Kentucky? I'd love to see your road course skills so that I can better understand your recommendations and opinions.

I would enjoy driving my Cobra at Road Atlanta, However, the tow from Northern California to Georgia would be a long one.:eek:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
If you want to get that into it, you shouldn't track a uni body car in the first place when a full framed car is stiffer to begin with :rolleyes:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I just looked at the Grigg's site, holy **** balls batman! Almost $1700 for the roll bar! I don't think a weekend/every once in a while track mostly street car needs that. Griggs products are awesome, but just not needed most of the time. If that's you bag, then go for it, but I wouldn't recommend a basically full race piece to someone looking to increase their turn in a bit. Especially if their skills are not as high as the car's.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Better rear sway Bar?

I'm running a GT sway bar in my 2004 GT SRA and have been thinking about buying a MM, steeda, bullitt, or a crazy adj. sway bar. :shrug: Have you thought about that yet?

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I would enjoy driving my Cobra at Road Atlanta, However, the tow from Northern California to Georgia would be a long one.:eek:

Yeah, I'd like to run a few West Coast tracks as well, but that ain't gonna happen either for the same reason. Kentucky Bluegrass Motorsports Park? We are running an event there at the end of July.... :poke::beer:

BTW for everyone else tuning in, a 275 NT01 will outperform at street 315 without the weight penalty of more rubber and more aluminum. Believe it or not, but a 245 NT01 on the back of my 99 when I had 554rwhp hooked just as well as a 275 BFG DR (at speed). The shift from 1-2 hooked just as hard. No exaggeration. My point is, if you have the right compound, you don't need a wider tire.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Better rear sway Bar?

I'm running a GT sway bar in my 2004 GT SRA and have been thinking about buying a MM, steeda, bullitt, or a crazy adj. sway bar. :shrug: Have you thought about that yet?

The stock Cobra bar is pretty stiff. From what I hear, too stiff if you swap to coil overs.

My point is, if you have the right compound, you don't need a wider tire.

Indeed. But, actually knowing what you are talking about is never as cool as throwing out big numbers :rolling:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I've always been told to improve the driver first then the car if need be.

I have a full MM suspension in my car with a Hellion turbo kit waiting for install. I did the coilovers, aluminum rack bushings, etc first except for the K member and control arms. I did notice the steering is much more responsive with the solid shaft and aluminum bushings over stock. Any slight turns on the wheel and the car is moving. The K member and lower control arms took off some weight, but I noticed the car shifts much smoother than it did before.

Not sure what would be best for you, but I will say that upgrading driver skill should be first on your list. You may find that some classes will give you waht you want out of the car. A few hundred on lessons may save you on suspension that doesn't give you the results you want.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well thats true, but lets face it, once you driven a few porsches, the steering on mustangs is rubbish.

The stock struts are crap at this point, so they need to go anyway.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Quad, I'd probably go with your list except I'd also do the aluminum rack bushings.

Steering would then be a lot more of what your looking for.

but it will still be just a mustang so keep that in mind.:poke:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Do you have headers? I couldn't pull my shaft with the headers still installed. Just somehting to think about.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I did notice a good bit of reduction in tracking when I installed my aluminum rack bushings. I honestly didn't think it would make that big of a difference.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
well thats true, but lets face it, once you driven a few porsches, the steering on mustangs is rubbish.

True dat. My old room mate's stock 83 911 would kill me in the corners. Now after replacing damn near every part in the suspension it would be even.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Quad...I've been following your suspension mod posts. Gonna be a hell of a ride with FI. Good deal.

I'm guessing you're aiming at the new road course at E-town and maybe NJMP in Milltown, no? You're pretty close to E-town, right? Jersey's suddenly increased its road race venu's by 200%. I did an O/T at E-town in June...beaucoup fun. That track is on the rough and short side with lots of turns. For a stock New Edge she did really well... I kept running up on the next group. Make sure your brakes and fluid are up to snuff. After the last session there I pedalled the brakes to the floor in the parking lot...overheated. It was a hot, 100 degree day and I didn't take a cool down lap. Scary, but I've learned. I think you're going to start loving your Cobra again. :beer:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Yeah, im not far from etown. I hadn't had that specifically in mind, but Im glad to hear there are more choices out there. I tend to go on drive with members of a porsche forum, and although I never have problems keeping up, I hate the vague feelings from the suspension and steering.

That said, I have ordered

2 x tokico d-spec
aluminum rack bushings
front SS brake lines

I decided to hold off on the steering shaft because its $250 and I'd like to see if Im happy after the rack bushings. Given that it will always be a mustang and doesn't have an SLA up front, it comes to a point of economic cost/benefit analysis.

Total damage was around $500 with shipping all from maximum motorsports.

Install should take a few hours and we'll see what happens.

Oh, and I've been using the CG Lock for about a week or so, and Im quite pleased with its performance. Although the slide lock piece is a bitch to remove, so Im hoping that gets easier once the thumb wheel has gotten worn in a bit. Well worth the $40.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Oliver,

If you get interested in coming down to VIR for a track event, let me know and I can point you in the right direction and recommend which groups to run with.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread