Taking car in for wheel hop...

TK Doom

Established Member
So what do I tell them? "I can't burn out?"

Would like it fixed, but need to have a professional conversation about it.

TIA!

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Good luck. You will probably hear the "That's the way the car is" argument. Tell them that when you accelerate in the rain, it hops. You don't need to be full throttle to hop when it's wet. Let us know what they say. :pop:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
ummm....basically all of our cars wheel hop. They are going to tell you the same thing and make you go on about your day.

remsvt

I'm curious to see what they say...tell them the car feels unsafe..All of them hop to some extent I'm told so good luck. Hey its worth a try!

Wolf

Established Member
maybe if EVERYBODY took their Cobra's back to Ford with complaints about the wheel hop (especially brutal in converts, like mine), Ford might actually do something about it.

For such an awesome car, I am absolutely sickened by the wheelhop. Why can GM and DC build high powered IRS cars that don't have wheelhop issues? Ford royally screwed up with the Cobra IRS, and they should be on the hook to remedy the situation.

Go get 'em remsvt18!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Wolf said:
maybe if EVERYBODY took their Cobra's back to Ford with complaints about the wheel hop (especially brutal in converts, like mine), Ford might actually do something about it.

For such an awesome car, I am absolutely sickened by the wheelhop. Why can GM and DC build high powered IRS cars that don't have wheelhop issues? Ford royally screwed up with the Cobra IRS, and they should be on the hook to remedy the situation.

Go get 'em remsvt18!

I love that my car makes 460at the wheels with a few bolt ons and I cant even use first gear with more than feathering the throttle.

remsvt

Yeah, its pretty sad that Ford puts out one of the best muscle cars ever and we can't launch it hard fearing something in the rearend with explode...From reading this forum and others, its very hard to get rid of it. :bash:

TK Doom

Established Member
Hold the phone, peeps!

I thought that wheel hop was a flaw that could be corrected.

If I'm wrong, please tell me so without all the doubletalk.

That video of the guy screwing around on a test drive with an 03 Cobra clearly shows him burning out...

No chance I could do this...couldn't do it in the rain either...

Whereas all my other V8 Stangs I had no problem with any controlled burns...what am I doing wrong?

Do I just need to learn how to drive an IRS super-powered car?

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Its not a flaw....all IRS cars hop, vettes, mustangs etc. Some more than others. Get used to it or do some suspension changes to negate it.

Fast Willy

Established Member
TK Doom said:
Hold the phone, peeps!

I thought that wheel hop was a flaw that could be corrected.

If I'm wrong, please tell me so without all the doubletalk.

That video of the guy screwing around on a test drive with an 03 Cobra clearly shows him burning out...

No chance I could do this...couldn't do it in the rain either...

Whereas all my other V8 Stangs I had no problem with any controlled burns...what am I doing wrong?

Do I just need to learn how to drive an IRS super-powered car?

The only way that wheel hop can be corrected is to either spend lots on the irs that you already have, or switch to a solid. I am an very curious to what ford would do if everyone with a cobra went to them and complained about the irs. That would be very interesting if you asked me. Its not like 10 people complaining about it it would be most of us.

PhantomX

Established Member
SCMod46 said:
The only way that wheel hop can be corrected is to either spend lots on the irs that you already have, or switch to a solid. I am an very curious to what ford would do if everyone with a cobra went to them and complained about the irs. That would be very interesting if you asked me. Its not like 10 people complaining about it it would be most of us.

Ah, wouldn't do any good, they would just void everyone's warranty and tell us were driving our 400hp cars to hard :rolleyes:

coolcobra

Established Member
I do not have rear end wheel hop at all since installing full lenght sub-frame connectors, the polyurethane IRS bushings, and aluminum differential bushing.

I have 480 rwhp, and can slip the rear tires easily in 1st and 2nd, without any wheel hop issues. I have over 45 1/4 mile runs and 3+ continuous hours of road racing. I added MM's front and rear coil overs, and lowered the car about 1 1/2 inches, with more weight bias on the rears. Best 0-60ft time was 1.8 seconds with Nitto drag radials and I didn't have full throttle until after the 2nd gear shift. I had raised the front of the car for drag racing.

The IRS is suspended with rubber bushings and changing out the IRS stuff significantly improved the handling on a rough road while turning. I have had 4 Porsches, including a Turbo, and a M-5--all great road handling vehicles. With the changes made to the Cobra, I am close to the secure feeling you have while high g cornering and braking, on a rough surface. And this is with the Goodyear tires--not super high performance rubber. It is well worth the investments. Now if I could only loose 200 lbs off the front!

TRBO VNM

some cars hop and some don't or if they do, not bad at all.

Mine rarely ever hops and has been like that from the day I brought it home from the dealer. Same with the 03 I had. call me lucky. the way it hops now is if the roads are wet. then I will get some. all I have done are springs and 14mm bolts, but like I said, even from the factory I had no real issue like others apparently do.

the dealer will laugh at you. your best bet is to spend some money on things to help prevent or eliminate the hop.

good luck

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
TK Doom said:
So what do I tell them? "I can't burn out?"

Would like it fixed, but need to have a professional conversation about it.

TIA!

Just go in there with the brochure/press kit photos of all the 03s smoking the rears and ask: what's their secret? Or why can't it do what these photos advertise? :pepper:

Kimcobra

Established Member
Wolf said:

Go get 'em remsvt18!

My buddies Z06 is the same way.Wheel hope is comon.Just beef it up and hope it doesn't break.

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
my car only hops if i'm on the borderline of losing traction. If i feather the clutch and don't slam the gas i'm fine. If i just slam the gas i spin my tires. But if i'm trying to accelerate using the first method and give it a little too much, i hop.

BiZ

Established Member
Todd03Blown said:
Its not a flaw....all IRS cars hop, vettes, mustangs etc. Some more than others. Get used to it or do some suspension changes to negate it.

My 91 ZR-1 never had an issue with wheel hop during the three years I owned it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread