Taking car in for wheel hop...

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I just bought all this stuff. It came to about $800. including freight in. Add installation cost, if any, to that.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Wolf said:
I'm guessing more than swapping in a solid axle (?).

Price of a solid axle varies GREATLY. You can get a freebie from a grateful GT owner with smaller brakes, weaker axles, soft squishy rubber bushings, 28spline diff and 327 gears. Or if you pay for a new, unbent housing, new gears, quality diff, strong axles, correct brake brackets and all the hardware to hang it can be pretty expensive. All depends on what you are willing to subject to the power of your car. See my sig for explicit detail.

Nicks bushings are $350, MM's subframe set is $50, Billetflow shock bushings are $50, Strange shocks are $140, MM full lengths are approx $275 installed.

Add a Billetflow Brace to the diff for safety and strength and call it done till you need stronger halfshafts (once pullied/ported)

drmustang

Banned
PowerWheels said:
There's no problem doing a burnout, you just have to blow right past the point of traction. If you are near the traction point that's when the hop comes into play.
Your right. I have wheel hop especially when the pavement temp. is low. If you juice it hard with a quick out on the clutch a burnout is easy with no hop. That in between where you are on the edge of traction is where I have the hop real bad.

Frogger

Established Member
I hate wheel hop, it kills me to see my car jump like that and people start looking strange. Anyways look at this that what i am going to get to reduce wheel hop.I will have this installed by spring and hope for much better results and much better time at the 1/4 mile. Please tell me if anyone uses this part and does it really work?

RPMOUTLET

There is also Steeda:

HD Crossmember 99,01 Cobra
99-03 Cobra Differential Bushings
Steeda Explenation!!!

"Stop differential movement and wheel-hop with polyurethane differential bushings from Steeda. These bushings increase traction by keeping the differential properly located in the rear subframe.

Heavy Duty cross-member Strongly Recommended with the replacement of differential bushings on 99 & 01 Cobra"
www.Steeda.com

Combination of this 2 parts should stop Wheel hop Steeda clames.
Anyone out there that uses those parts already? :shrug:

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Frogger said:
...snip... Please tell me if anyone uses this part and does it really work?
...snip...

That brace may help your 99 (not sre if it already has it or not) our 03's already have a sturdy one from the factory.

Those poly bushings MELT, M E L T ! melt melt
Wheelhop is only truly remedied by a combination of bushings, braces, shocks and good tires.

Also seriously investigate the companies you are considering purchasing from. I am trying to help you here, not insult you.

Last edited:

Frogger

Established Member
Thanks, for help i will get new eibach springs to lower my car new tires pirelli and i will go with steeda setup. I want to stop my wheel hop but not spend same money that i would pay for solid axel. Thanks

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Frogger said:
Thanks, for help i will get new eibach springs to lower my car new tires pirelli and i will go with steeda setup. I want to stop my wheel hop but not spend same money that i would pay for solid axel. Thanks

I suggest you buy the original part from http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/03Cobra.htm instead of the copy on that page you posted. Every bit as strong and cheaper. Also get the bushings from Nick at [email protected], you need the aluminum front differential and delrin rear pinion bushing. Might as well do the UCA and LCA while you are at it. Also the IRS subframes from Maximum Motorsports.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
if ford had designd the IRS properly, it wouldnt have such a big problem.
I drove the Viper GTS HARD, and I could not get it to wheel hop at all.

a few VERY simple and low/no cost design changes such as harder bushings, bolting the IRS subframe directly to the chassis instead of squirmy bushings and flexy brackets would do wonders to get rid of wheel hop with no impact to ride quality noise. hell, my IRS mods actually made it ride better and got rid of the tranny clunk and I have zero wheel hop.

Last edited:

Wolf

Established Member
Serpentor said:
hell, my IRS mods actually made it ride better and got rid of the tranny clunk and I have zero wheel hop.

Could you share your mods? One of my biggest concerns with modifying the IRS to get rid of wheel hop (especially bad in my ragtop), is developing a really harsh ride. As a result, I'm still trying to decide between the modified IRS, and a solid axle swap.

thanks,

Ed

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Other then the steeda brackets, I have the Maximum Motorsports Delrin control arm bushings, Polyurethane subframe and differential bushings, and the '00R differential brace.
Thats about it. Its really simple, take out the complience in the suspension and the wheelhop goes away.
A good spring/shock combo and the mandatory subframe connectors helps too.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
broke7 said:
wheelhop = get the **** off the gas

screw that wheel hop equals freaking floor it thats what i did and guess what diffrential broke ha ha ha. You think i give a crap though....NO.

Im gonna just make ford give me a new one if they cant even build a axle that can handle the stock power.

people have been blowing their diffrentials with completley stock.. even with the stock tires.... I mean seriously come on.

Im not gonna baby a 400+rwhp car all the time screw that.

Users who are viewing this thread