Taking a bath on a dealer trade in.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dealer offered me what I had expected to drop down to on my Boss. With the tax savings it was a no brainer.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Bought an 05' Tacoma TRD on saturday.. everyone here knows they are worth a ****ton of money. In my area a truck like this can still bring 20k if it's low mileage. Mine wasn't but was one owner, got it for 15k out the door. It was what I was looking for though..

But point is, I tried to trade my beater Sierra pickup in. They refused to give me more then 2200 for it. So I just sold it for 4k and kept the difference. Sometimes it's worth it.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
This isn't me, but besides getting a deal on the next purchase from dealership, why would anyone decide to lose out on over $10k and trade in a vehicle? Compared to selling to an interested buyer?

Example: someone trades in a '16 C7Z for $50k. Car had 10k miles, nothing wrong with car. Car is barely put up for sale, maybe a little over 7 days. Buyer didnt get a purchase either.

I'm just wondering why anyone would go that route, are they too proud to sell to another person for a decent price and would rather take a bath?

Its like me getting offered 14k for my '13 mustang GT (25k miles) and continuing with that deal, vs selling it on my own for mid 20s (i sold it for 24k, it was for sale for about 2 weeks).

Most Americans are extremely irresponsible with their finances, that is why. I stopped questioning the motives of others when it doesn't make logical sense and started to realize that most people are foolish.

We are indoctrinated to accept debt and financial loss without hesitation. It is a part of our culture... it also makes other people wealthier. Sheep to be harvested.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Most Americans are extremely irresponsible with their finances, that is why. I stopped questioning the motives of others when it doesn't make logical sense and started to realize that most people are foolish.

We are indoctrinated to accept debt and financial loss without hesitation. It is a part of our culture... it also makes other people wealthier. Sheep to be harvested.
Just to reiterate, this isnt only 10k, i meant to say $10k+. What I'm actually talking about is a gen 5 Viper. The owner couldnt sell it for his set price (86k). And I find out he trades it in for 67k, in cali!

I've been thinking about it a lot because the Viper community imo, isnt being realistic. I want to join the group and own one but they price themselves out too high. I feel I would get a better deal from a dealership than dealing with someone that wants top dollar.
I think @03Cobra has seen it because he posts at VOA too.
I see it a lot actually, they want a high price and still do if you check the 13/14 cars, (autotrader, cargurus, cars.com, etc) private sellers still want over 100k!

What I'm saying is the guy wants so much money, nobody bites so they go to a dealership and lose out big rather than lose out little.

btw, you guys talking about craigslist tire kickers, I did not have a hard time selling my mustang. Usually the bigger the price, the less tire kickers. How did I weed them out? I just ignored their emails every day until the same people kept emailing me. That way I know they are serious. I also priced my car at a decent price.

chris1badL

Established Member
I agree on lower price tire kickers on Craigslist. Sold a few beaters on there without issue but was a pain. I have my hellcat for sale on there but only for a link on 500plus hp. Zero tire kickers so far. Would never trade in my hellcat either, I will def wait to sell private. Had a dealer offer me $43k for my HC...

Coiled03

Established Member

You do realize we're talking about cars, here, right? They're all money losers unless you're talking about collector cars. In that case, nobody is walking down to the local dealer and taking a crappy trade.

For your average car, you're going to lose money. The only question is how much. Maybe stop feeling like your financial chops are superior for just a second?

nxhappy

Established Member
some people are shitting so much money they don't care I guess lol

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
You do realize we're talking about cars, here, right? They're all money losers unless you're talking about collector cars. In that case, nobody is walking down to the local dealer and taking a crappy trade.

For your average car, you're going to lose money. The only question is how much. Maybe stop feeling like your financial chops are superior for just a second?
I'm not going to waste much breath on you. You were obviously rubbed by my post. I will say that I'm talking more vaguely about poor financial decisions that are widely accepted as THE way.
Does it bother you? I can only imagine why.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

while this is true (and it drives me crazy when people say $xxx "invested") it seems people are willing to let that loss be much bigger than it needs to be. I know several people that were already in bad shape financially and for one reason or another got a new(er) vehicle. None of them attempted to sell it on their own, they just traded it in and went upside down when they could have gotten double+ selling on their own. They knew going in they were gonna take it dry but had made peace with it already I guess.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I pretty much always sell my own cars. I keep them practically perfect and get about 20% over trade in. I use all the free sites cargurus, cars.com, CL, SVTP. Price it fair and word the ad to dissuade tire kickers , BS'rs and anyone not within driving distance. Encourage text or email initially rather than phone calls. If I detect a BS'r I just tell them it's sold.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Just to reiterate, this isnt only 10k, i meant to say $10k+. What I'm actually talking about is a gen 5 Viper. The owner couldnt sell it for his set price (86k). And I find out he trades it in for 67k, in cali!

I've been thinking about it a lot because the Viper community imo, isnt being realistic. I want to join the group and own one but they price themselves out too high. I feel I would get a better deal from a dealership than dealing with someone that wants top dollar.
I see it a lot actually, they want a high price and still do if you check the 13/14 cars, (autotrader, cargurus, cars.com, etc) private sellers still want over 100k!

What I'm saying is the guy wants so much money, nobody bites so they go to a dealership and lose out big rather than lose out little.
Right. I'm not sure they are intending to lose out, but maybe they are impulsive and easily swayed. They know what they want to get for it, but when they see the next thing they want they start thinking compromise to get it. Also, dealers can be persuasive and maybe they are talking them down.

Like I said, foolish decision making. That and some people really will eat the cost on principle.

Think of it like this though. If you are willing to take 40-50K in depreciated value of 4 years, how bad is another 13K? Bad to me, but some people dont care.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

btw, you guys talking about craigslist tire kickers, I did not have a hard time selling my mustang. Usually the bigger the price, the less tire kickers. How did I weed them out? I just ignored their emails every day until the same people kept emailing me. That way I know they are serious. I also priced my car at a decent price.

I think you meant to tag me...but didn't lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The older and more financially stable one becomes, the less you care about taking a $10k loss on a trade and the more you care about easy, painless dealings.

My $.02.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm getting ready to trade in my wife's Lexus for an F150. I'll be taking a bath and trading it in because the amount I lose isn't worth the amount of money I lose at the dealer. I simply don't have the time to deal with all of the hassles involved with selling a used car, especially at that price point. The dealer hit the exact number we were happy with selling it used so I'm ok losing a few thousand we might theoretically get from a private buyer.

Another thing to consider is time. We just found out that child seats don't fit in her car. I don't have weeks to wait for a buyer.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The older and more financially stable one becomes, the less you care about taking a $10k loss on a trade and the more you care about easy, painless dealings.

My $.02.
That $10k could have put you in a 2011+ GT500. Maybe even a 13/14. I also said over $10k loss. The viper I'm talking about was $18k, that kind of bath. Not just 10.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Except i didnt want an 11+ GT500. Thanks though.

I sold my 2014 GT to Carmax for $22k.... feel like i made out nicely on that one.

stang910

Established Member

My $.02.

I feel this is correct. OP was also talking about a Corvette and Viper which more than likely had a MSRP over $80k and possibly much more. If you can legitimately afford that kind of car $10k isn't a big deal.

I just traded in my '15 F150 lariat on a '17. They gave me $34k for it and they are selling it for $42k. $8k difference, but it's out of my hands and is still sitting on the dealers lot. Honestly as a private seller I could have got $36k for it no problem instead of the $34k trade in deal. For me that $2000 hit i took wasn't a big deal.

BladeX10

Established Member
Dealers are the last place i would ever consider trading in a car. I dont care how many flakes and tire kickers i deal with private party, I'll go through it for an extra $4-5k. There was a time in my life when i was dead broke barely getting by. I'll never lose sight of the value of a dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread