T.V. repairman in the house

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
So I should probably just let this go being it's working on 10 years old. But it really didn't get much use for half it's life.
Have a Philips 47" that the screen went black. Sometimes you could switch it off then back on and it would come back.
Finally gave out some magic smoke and I found this
20171201_194842.jpg

20171201_194814.jpg

It's on the power board. After cleaning it up a little, it looks like the solder joint was loose and burnt up. There is a piece of copper ?? that runs between there and another solder joint.
So the question is, can I just bridge the two and see if it works? Guess Im not out anything.

1wild-horse

Established Member
Lol, yeahI know. Already bought a nice Vizio replacement. Its the tech in me I guess that wants to identify the problem and fix it.
Dude...for $179 at WalleyWorld you can score a new flat screen. Toss that dinosorex to the curb. Join us in 2017...it's pretty cool.

It is at least a flat screen though. If it was a tube, it would be target practice.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If those two points were supposed to be bridged, odds are it would have been done within the circuit board.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
So I should probably just let this go being it's working on 10 years old. But it really didn't get much use for half it's life.
Have a Philips 47" that the screen went black. Sometimes you could switch it off then back on and it would come back.
Finally gave out some magic smoke and I found this
View attachment 1448376
View attachment 1448377
It's on the power board. After cleaning it up a little, it looks like the solder joint was loose and burnt up. There is a piece of copper ?? that runs between there and another solder joint.
So the question is, can I just bridge the two and see if it works? Guess Im not out anything.
Who knows, but it appears the the primary windings of that transformer failed. Likely the solder heated, destroyed the foil run on the circuit board, and let go at about the same. You could remove and replace the transformer for cheap, if you can find the part, but that doesn’t mean something else hasn’t shit the bed when the it smoke-tested itself. If you have time and patience you might be able to repair it.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Who knows, but it appears the the primary windings of that transformer failed. Likely the solder heated, destroyed the foil run on the circuit board, and let go at about the same. You could remove and replace the transformer for cheap, if you can find the part, but that doesn’t mean something else hasn’t shit the bed when the it smoke-tested itself. If you have time and patience you might be able to repair it.

See above, he fixed it :)

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Waiting for an update from OP or a new thread.

"House burnt down: what do?"

Toss it. It's a fire hazard bruh

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's surprising how many things can be fixed with some basic soldering skills. I've learned a lot from The Ben Heck show over the years, but I still can't solder worth a crap.

1wild-horse

Established Member
Waiting for an update from OP or a new thread.

"House burnt down: what do?"

Toss it. It's a fire hazard bruh

Was worried this may be the case. It's out in the garage and I used it periodically over the weekend checking to see if its getting hot or starting to stink. So far so good but I've been unplugging it when I shut it down. I'm sure I will eventually toss it because like you said I've thought about that, and no doubt it's not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread