T-trim on a 4.6 dohc

J's98Snake

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
T-trim +N20 FTW!

All BS aside...I have some question if ya don't mind helping a fellow stanger out:beer:

I'm doing the s-trim to t-trim conversion when I get back to the states. Do you mind sharing your pulley combo with me? I was thinking about running a 2.9 upper with the 6.9 lower looking to make 21 psi. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jake

pbm.cc

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
When I was running 16 psi and my timing was at 16* she made 507/450. that was with the 6-rib set-up. When I converted to the 8-rib I still had the same size blower pulley (3.0), but the crank pulley is bigger. Stock 4.6 crank pulley is 6.75, the 8-rib is a 5.4 crank pulley and is 6.9. The 570/504 was with 22*. If it makes you feel better when I was running 14 psi through an aftercooler I was making 474/43x can't remember the timing. I never got to a 1/4 mi track with the 474/43x, but I d remember she was running 7.3's in the 1/8 at 93-94 mph, so I was content at the time.

Have you ever gone to the track? Honestly, I wouldn't care if my car dyno'd 350/350 if it ran the #'s it should. Dyno's are just a tool used for tunning, unless you're droptopsnake:poke: Take it to the track and get some runs. If your not on par with similar cars with similar set-ups then something might be off. Also, the weather affects #'s in a huge way, heat, altitude, DA all factor into the equation.

You lost me on the s-trim trade bit??? I have an s-trim which will become a t-trim later this year.

I just re-read your post...since my heads are ported I'm going to make more power. Also your 15 psi on the boost gage and my 15 psi on my boost gage are going to be different amounts of actual boost. Since my heads are ported my motor will be more efficient in getting the air in and out. A blower & pulley combo that shows 15 psi on my motor might show 16-16.5 on your motor due to the effiency difference. So, if we were showing the same boost amounts in reality I would be pushing more air (boost) and thus be making more power. If I were you, I'd but a snow performance methanol injection kit, slap it on, get it tuned with more timing and call it a day. I'm sure you'd +500 rwhp dept.
well I thought about buying all the pulleys for a 5.4 to make it a 8 rib setup but I honestly think that the a/c compressor was stuck and the car was dynoed with the a/c compressor on!
when I turn on the a/c it feels better, and pulls nicer but when I turn it off the car seems to choke on itself at low rpm.

I had told my tuner about this when I first got the car back but I just havent had time to take it back. hopefully by next week I will be able to get this straight out.
if my pulley is smaller than a 2.86" I am probably getting slippage... right!

well I also wanted to change the belts to a tighter one but if I get more boost I dont want to blow the motor. I honestly want to range from 500-550rwhp. so I dont know what amount of timing it has at the moment. But I will advice them to try to get it to 500+. Also if I have the 2.86 pulley installed on the S trim do you think the car would see more boost or less? If the pulley that i have right now is so small causing me to get alot of slippage then one thats a little bigger should be giving me a consistant amount of boost or more since there would be less slippage!?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
J's98Snake said:
All BS aside...I have some question if ya don't mind helping a fellow stanger out:beer:

I'm doing the s-trim to t-trim conversion when I get back to the states. Do you mind sharing your pulley combo with me? I was thinking about running a 2.9 upper with the 6.9 lower looking to make 21 psi. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jake

what you want to know brother?

I will be keeping on my 2.8 pulley when i swap mine here soon just to see what it makes w/ the same pulley. Then i will prolly go smaller. I think the car will make 670 w/ the same 2.8 pulley on boost alone.

I think w/ 21psi from a t-trim that bitch will be rollin haha. You have a good fuel system i hope.

J's98Snake

Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
what you want to know brother?

I will be keeping on my 2.8 pulley when i swap mine here soon just to see what it makes w/ the same pulley. Then i will prolly go smaller. I think the car will make 670 w/ the same 2.8 pulley on boost alone.

I think w/ 21psi from a t-trim that bitch will be rollin haha. You have a good fuel system i hope.

I'm good on fuel. I'm running a sumped tank with the Aeromotive A1000 pump, can't remember what -an size the garden hose that feeds the motor is.

So you're running a 2.8 with your t-trim right now, and how much boost are you seeing?

I had a buddie with a similar motor to mine with a t-trim and a 3.0 upper, he was making 20 psi but his motor had some problems. I just want to make sure that a 2.9 will net me a solid 21 psi in 3rd and 4th gear.

J's98Snake

Established Member
pbm.cc said:
well I thought about buying all the pulleys for a 5.4 to make it a 8 rib setup but I honestly think that the a/c compressor was stuck and the car was dynoed with the a/c compressor on!
when I turn on the a/c it feels better, and pulls nicer but when I turn it off the car seems to choke on itself at low rpm.

I had told my tuner about this when I first got the car back but I just havent had time to take it back. hopefully by next week I will be able to get this straight out.
if my pulley is smaller than a 2.86" I am probably getting slippage... right!

well I also wanted to change the belts to a tighter one but if I get more boost I dont want to blow the motor. I honestly want to range from 500-550rwhp. so I dont know what amount of timing it has at the moment. But I will advice them to try to get it to 500+. Also if I have the 2.86 pulley installed on the S trim do you think the car would see more boost or less? If the pulley that i have right now is so small causing me to get alot of slippage then one thats a little bigger should be giving me a consistant amount of boost or more since there would be less slippage!?

You've kind of lost me...from what I gather you're running a 2.86 blower pulley or smaller and only making 15 psi. I was having belt slip with a 3.0 RR ultra grip blower pulley (6-rib) making 16 psi, so I def say you have belt slip with a 2.86 or smaller with a 6-rib.

You just can't throw timing at the motor, and I'm sure your tuner knows this. I bumped my timing when I started using a 50/50 mix of meth & water. Methanol burns like high octane race gas which allows you to run more timing and if things are working right make more power. If you just want to make +500 rwhp and stay safe 1st make sure all your pulleys are working correct i.e. your a/c 2nd get rid of that 6-rib set-up, 8-rib pulley it for 15 psi and inject her with methanol = 500+ and more tq.

Just my $0.02

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
J's98Snake said:
I'm good on fuel. I'm running a sumped tank with the Aeromotive A1000 pump, can't remember what -an size the garden hose that feeds the motor is.

So you're running a 2.8 with your t-trim right now, and how much boost are you seeing?

I had a buddie with a similar motor to mine with a t-trim and a 3.0 upper, he was making 20 psi but his motor had some problems. I just want to make sure that a 2.9 will net me a solid 21 psi in 3rd and 4th gear.

No T-trim yet. Im still running the lil ole S-trim. T-trim is comming.

Users who are viewing this thread