T-trim on a 4.6 dohc

schef

Established Member
I just got the bottom end of my 4.6 dohc engine rebuilt with all the goodies such as all forged internals and a 9:1 compression. I didn't have enough cash to upgrade my heads so they are pretty much stock. I'm getting ready to put a Vortech T-trim with the after cooler. Does anyone have a similar set up or might know what kind of power output this will be? Thanks

schef

Established Member
Looks like I better buy a few more things before I get my blower. I have 3.73's right now. what's your opinion on switching them out to put 4.10's in?

BLWN32V

Established Member
i have a t trim on my 2000 GT with ported heads and cams it made 680rwhp and 540 tq with 19 pounds of boost on a 6 rib belt!!!

schef

Established Member
I checked out your car on the link to that website, your car is sweet! How do you like your gears? I'm deciding whether to switch from 3.73's to 4.10's

J's98Snake

Established Member
Schef-

If you still can port the heads! It's worth the money and with FI you really need to port them.

IMO 3.73 are the perfect gear for a FI car. I had 4.30 when I was n/a and running n20. Now with the Fi set-up my 3.73's are perfect. I've cut 1.48 60's with the 3.73 and 28in slicks.

As far as power goes my specs:
forged bottom end 9.05:1 comp, ported B heads, stock intake, stock cams (for now) long tubes, s-trim 18 psi (6-rib belt slip) = 570 rwhp 504 rwtq. With a 100 hit and a lot of belt slip I made 671/603 on a mustang dyno.

If you haven't already you need to upgrade your valve springs. If you were only going to run 10-12 psi you could get away with it, but 18+ you need an upgrade.

Last edited:

04OrangePeel

03Zinc
Established Member
schef said:
I just got the bottom end of my 4.6 dohc engine rebuilt with all the goodies such as all forged internals and a 9:1 compression. I didn't have enough cash to upgrade my heads so they are pretty much stock. I'm getting ready to put a Vortech T-trim with the after cooler. Does anyone have a similar set up or might know what kind of power output this will be? Thanks

Hey I have a 2004 Gt 2V and a Vortech V2 SQ with 9 pounds of boost on the stock block, and 390 gears!!! What did you do to build your bottom end up with, how much did it cost??? I want to do the same on my 2 V and boost it up around 12-14 pounds of boost!! Help me if you can....Thanks

schef

Established Member
04OrangePeel said:
Hey I have a 2004 Gt 2V and a Vortech V2 SQ with 9 pounds of boost on the stock block, and 390 gears!!! What did you do to build your bottom end up with, how much did it cost??? I want to do the same on my 2 V and boost it up around 12-14 pounds of boost!! Help me if you can....Thanks

I got lucky with this block that I have, I knew a guy in my area who took out a loan and was going to build an engine for a kenne bell blower, however after he bought everything he decidied he should go bcak to school... anyways He sold me his block with had forged everything, with a cobra crank, it was bored out .030 over and the compression is at 9:1. I also had billet oild pump gears installed along with my IMRC plates completely removed. I put a 7 quart oil pan with a duel flow bypass oil kit. My car holds 10 quarts of oil now. I paid 3000 for the block. There is a kit off of VT engines website that he bought the kit at. I did a lot of research and if i didn't come upon this engine block, I would have sent my Teksid block to JDM on the east coast, they were going to charge me a little under 4000 to rebuild it.

schef

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
Schef-

If you still can port the heads! It's worth the money and with FI you really need to port them.

Unfortunatly I didn't have the money to do it. It was going to be another 3,000. However, I going to buy a set of heads and build them up and when they are complete I'm going to take the engine back out and put the Hi-Po heads on.

BoostedToy

Established Member
schef said:
Unfortunatly I didn't have the money to do it. It was going to be another 3,000. However, I going to buy a set of heads and build them up and when they are complete I'm going to take the engine back out and put the Hi-Po heads on.

Don't worry about porting the heads. Stock 4v heads are more than capable. Unless you are turning your car into a race car and trying to flow more than 1000hp worth of air, forget about the heads. The money is spent better elsewhere. However, you should replace the valvesprings. Go get a capable valvetrain. Will you leave a little on the table without porting the heads? Sure. At the 600rwhp level, it really doesn't matter all that much.

schef

Established Member
BoostedToy said:
Don't worry about porting the heads. Stock 4v heads are more than capable. Unless you are turning your car into a race car and trying to flow more than 1000hp worth of air, forget about the heads. The money is spent better elsewhere. However, you should replace the valvesprings. Go get a capable valvetrain. Will you leave a little on the table without porting the heads? Sure. At the 600rwhp level, it really doesn't matter all that much.

I didn't change the valve springs either, how long do you thing they will last? and at what boost level?

Users who are viewing this thread