T-56 Update

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
If you swap from a T45 which has I think a 3.35 1st gear ratio to a Viper or 03-04 Cobra T56 with the 2.66 1st gear ratio it's gonna KILL your track times unless you change the rear end gear. I guess if you don't take the car to the track ever you can live with it though. I have the 00R spec T56 with 2.97 1st and 4.10 gear and even it feels weak in 1st compared to a T45 or 3650.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I don't go to the track so the 2.66 gear doesn't bother me any. Probably would make a difference on a drag car, but the T56 isn't the best choice for the drag strip anyway.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I hear ya, I was just stating that if you started out with say a T45 and a 4.10 gear like a lot of blown Cobra's and then you swap to a 2.66 geared T56 you would need a something around a 5.13 rearend gear to have the same effective gear ratio you had before the swap. Like I said, no big deal if you don't run the car at the track. But seen a guy with a 5.0 car make the mistake of swapping from a T5 to the new TKO600 which has similar 1st gear ratios as the 2.66 1st T56 and he lost 3 tenths in the 1/8th without any other changes. He pulled it back out the next week.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
You guys are swapping both the pinion flange and the driveshaft coupler on the rear to make things work. I ran part #'s thru ford and the coupler is different, but the flange on the IRS is the same # for a 2001 & 2003 according to the dealer. Can anyone confirm this?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
what a coupler is, I don't know.

The pinion flange is what I changed, but then again, I have a 98 cobra rear.

The 03 flange is huge compared to the earlier models.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
in the ford database they call the coupler the piece that attaches to the rear U joint of the drivshaft. The flange bolts to the IRS and appears to be held in by the pinion nut. I only have the 03 coupler because it is different than the 01. The part #'s are the same in ford for the part on the IRS.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
ah, so basically your saying that the coupler sits on the ds and bolts to the pinion flange.

I had a custom DS made, with the correct coupler installed, so all I needed was to swap pinion flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread