Switching to E85 ??

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
So I'm switching to E85, there is a place to buy it not to far from me and I'm tired of paying $11 per gallon for VP MS103 !! My question is I hear a lot of people talk about pump E85 being inconsistent, so can you buy a drum of E98 or straight Ethanol and mix it with E85 to be sure your getting 85% ???

mackdog2008

Established Member
Just get a tester and test the fuel at the station you plan to buy from, I have a tune for the winter blend which is E70 and when summer blend comes back I will have a tune for true E85.

Been running it for 5k and don't regret it yet, never had a problem with the fuel and I always buy from the same station.

twistedneck

Established Member
mackdog2008, Shaun AED wrote me a summer E85 tune with real E85 from the drum.. that only lasts for a couple months in the Dearborn area and I've ran as low as E70 with that same tune. it gets a little rich you can see the trims pulling some tiny amounts of fuel like 0.95-0.97 at WOT.. and it smells a bit more like shine.

Still, I think its safe that way since E70 runs rich on an E85 tune. I have done the opposite as well and the car also ran great - it just added a touch of fuel something like 1.03 for the trims. So the trims will fix it at E70 no problem, but it still will be a bit rich if you use the tail pipe sniffer with E70 but the car is fine. not sure if I gained or lost power w the E70 rich setup. Its what Shaun recommended..

PS. don't count on E85 for long if gas prices stay where they are, i.e. if Saudi Arabia decides to let oil go to $20 a barrel E85 will be gone because its not economical even with the subsidy. I've seen 93 for $1.82 here! same station E85 was $2.49. i also made a spreadsheet and was all set to add E98 to my random E85/E70 pump mix to make it perfect E85.. i can get it cheap here in 50 gallon drums. But that was a waste of time since Shaun agreed the tune could sweep E85 to E70 just fine. And you need a hell of a lot because for Every gallon of E70 you need a gallon of E98 to make E85.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
There are tons of people in South Florida running E85. I lived there for 20 years and know many of them. They have tested the Turnpike locations and has always been good stuff.

I wouldn't worry about E85 or Ethanol production going anywhere any time soon. They are increasing production and are pushing for E15 in most states.

If you would like to learn more we have another section devoted to alternative fuels, primarily E85.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?374-The-Distillery :read:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
mackdog2008, Shaun AED wrote me a summer E85 tune with real E85 from the drum.. that only lasts for a couple months in the Dearborn area and I've ran as low as E70 with that same tune. it gets a little rich you can see the trims pulling some tiny amounts of fuel like 0.95-0.97 at WOT.. and it smells a bit more like shine.

Still, I think its safe that way since E70 runs rich on an E85 tune. I have done the opposite as well and the car also ran great - it just added a touch of fuel something like 1.03 for the trims. So the trims will fix it at E70 no problem, but it still will be a bit rich if you use the tail pipe sniffer with E70 but the car is fine. not sure if I gained or lost power w the E70 rich setup. Its what Shaun recommended..

PS. don't count on E85 for long if gas prices stay where they are, i.e. if Saudi Arabia decides to let oil go to $20 a barrel E85 will be gone because its not economical even with the subsidy. I've seen 93 for $1.82 here! same station E85 was $2.49. i also made a spreadsheet and was all set to add E98 to my random E85/E70 pump mix to make it perfect E85.. i can get it cheap here in 50 gallon drums. But that was a waste of time since Shaun agreed the tune could sweep E85 to E70 just fine. And you need a hell of a lot because for Every gallon of E70 you need a gallon of E98 to make E85.

+1. Get It tuned for e85 and when you run e70 it will just run slightly rich.

redline5.0

Established Member
Also you can pick up a tester for dirt cheap, I'll check mine from time to time, found one station that everyone said had the best e85 and it was summer time and it was 58% ethanol lol.

mackdog2008

Established Member

The main reason my tune is for E70 is because when I made the switch to it all the stations in Tulsa had already switched to E70 for the winter, I know I can run the E85 tune and it will be fine.

Justin at VMP suggested that we fine tune the E70 since that is available then when I get E85 back we will do the same, would it not be better though to run a E70 tune when the fuel is E70 and E85 tune when it's E85 in a supercharged application as mine?

Last edited:

mackdog2008

Established Member
With plans of a 250-300 shot I don't want to play guessing games with ethanol % , I'm primarily going to E85 for race only purposes.
That's why I think it's better to have a tune for what fuel you have E70, E85 or E98

It makes me feel better knowing my car is tuned for the exact fuel I am running.

twistedneck

Established Member
The main reason my tune is for E70 is because when I made the switch to it all the stations in Tulsa had already switched to E70 for the winter, I know I can run the E85 tune and it will be fine.

Justin at VMP suggested that we fine tune the E70 since that is available then when I get E85 back we will do the same, would it not be better though to run a E70 tune when the fuel is E70 and E85 tune when it's E85 in a supercharged application as mine?

Yes, I agree even with the fuel trims adjusting they can't nail it instantly.. This is why a flex fuel sensor is best because it measures in real time and adjusts to keep lambda just right AND it adds more timing the more Ethanol you have.

mackdog2008

Established Member
Yes, I agree even with the fuel trims adjusting they can't nail it instantly.. This is why a flex fuel sensor is best because it measures in real time and adjusts to keep lambda just right AND it adds more timing the more Ethanol you have.
Flex fuel sensor?

The only thing that I have heard of is zeitronix ethanol content analyzer.

Users who are viewing this thread