Switch over from Gt500 ?

jfitts23

Established Member
Didn't know this thread had that many replies. I do feel the power difference between the two. Shelby had more stock for stock of coarse. Now im just comparing between the 07-09 gt500s. The ones i have experience with. I would definitely take a 13-14 any day all day. I think it is the raw feeling for me and the fact that the gt500 felt huge to me compared to other cars i'v had.

The exhaust on my 03 is Corsa Extreme sport mufflers and offroad xpipe. the blower and plenum is ported and has a 2.76 pulley. It might be my hearing then i'm sure it wines but the exhaust is all i hear. I think this exhaust is louder than my shelbys so maybe thats why i heard the blower on those more. I need to take a video since i'm always in the car and can't hear the outside. But thanks for the replies just wanted to hear others opinions on the subject.
IMG_0870_zpsoc7uvwxb.jpg

Last edited:

04Cobra03

Established Member
I actually have noticed I could hear my blower really well when I had the stock mid pipe and Mac catback. Now I have a magnaflow catted X with 2 high flow cats and it is really hard to hear the blower. I was surprised. Still have the mac catback and no hood blanket

jfitts23

Established Member
I definitely have to agree with you on this. I love my Cobra but feel the Shelby is improved pretty much in every way. Lots of people refer to our cars as being "RAW". I just contribute that feeling to our cars being very basic with no additional features and basically cheap all around. That's personally why I like mine so much because its just something I go out and have fun in. I guess it comes down to user preference but Shelbys are definitely built better in terms of quality. The 03-04 Cobra drivetrain is impressive to say the least but take that away and you are left with a chasis that dates back to the 70s and a cheap interior..

I guess this would be my feeling also. I guess im finding out i don't need the refinement since i don't daily them.

jfitts23

Established Member
I actually have noticed I could hear my blower really well when I had the stock mid pipe and Mac catback. Now I have a magnaflow catted X with 2 high flow cats and it is really hard to hear the blower. I was surprised. Still have the mac catback and no hood blanket

I think this is what it is. Once i put my foot in it the off road x pipe makes it sound like my friends built big cube pushrod motor. And thats all i hear.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I had a 14 GT500 and didn't like it. I also had a modified 03 cobra and a stock 04 cobra at the same time and have to say I prefer the 03/04. Now I did sell the Shelby and picked up a 13 Boss. By far a better all in car. Not close to as fast but handling wise night and day difference. The boss puts the Shelby to shame with handling.

nrmustang

Established Member
Lol at the better all around car comment. I've owned 4 terminators and love them but after owning a Shelby no way in hell would I go backwards.

X1,000,000

Had 3 Terminators, 1 2009 GT500= never going back.

I have always felt they are two totally different cars. Plus, my tuner tuned the dbw throttle body to be closer to the throttle response of the 13/14. Add to that Jay porting my CJ65, and my lowly 645rwhp GT500 has just as razor sharp throttle response as my 512rwhp ported/pullied Terminator.

With my suspension mods, it handles very similar, but at the same time doesn't beat me up like all my previous mustangs did.

jfitts23

Established Member
To me it seems weight is the big difference. Even though these mustang are light by todays standards. Plus i don't drive these cars much so the refinement really doesn't matter to me. I do miss the power, the shelby had plenty from the start. Its like a 1000cc bike to a 1300cc. The little weight difference makes a big deal. Well at least to me. Wish they made a 3000lb mustang, now that would be the shit. But all mustangs are great.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed....when I was looking into getting my Shelby I had been told I would feel "disconnected" from the car due to the TBW setup instead of the cable actuation. The info couldn't have been more wrong...the cars throttle response and steering was magnificent. Now if your talking bang for the buck cash out lay....ofcourse the Terminator wins out...it's older technology and a outdated chassis....and most low mileage ones are in the mid 20k range so easily attainable these days. The Shelby is well over double that for a newer one and has some added heft (4055lb' with me in it) but also a much bigger motor and many more amenities. All my drag time bests are posted in my signature so mine def doesn't sit as a museum piece it actually gets used for racing and street duty just like my terminators did. I hands down prefer the Shelby. Not to mention I FIT better in the S197 car....I'm a pretty wide bodied person and my shoulder is up against the door panel in the 03/04's....Not as cushy by any means compared to a S197 car.

lol @ wide bodied. Im right there with you.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
X1,000,000

Had 3 Terminators, 1 2009 GT500= never going back.

I have always felt they are two totally different cars. Plus, my tuner tuned the dbw throttle body to be closer to the throttle response of the 13/14. Add to that Jay porting my CJ65, and my lowly 645rwhp GT500 has just as razor sharp throttle response as my 512rwhp ported/pullied Terminator.

With my suspension mods, it handles very similar, but at the same time doesn't beat me up like all my previous mustangs did.

Cliffs, I miss my Cobra.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
This always freaks me out when I read about people going back to these cars and being happier!!

I love my 04 and have a ton of money and time in it plus I always wanted one, but to come from a Shelby it would be hard " I would think".

My car is nice and clean but it's loud and notch and it rattles, but I never turn down a chance to drive it and I always have a smile on my face. Maybe its the 800hp ha ha

nrmustang

Established Member
Thats good because Terminators shouldn't have rocker stripes.

Go outside once in a while buddy, and quit wearing out your keyboard.

This is just a hobby. Customize yours the way you want, I'll do the same. That's been the name of the car game since day 1.

Last edited:

Snkbite04

Established Member
As far as this go's I almost traded my 04 in back in 2011 for a gt500 my car had 15k on the clock and got a fair offer ( lk 24k) no bs ...but for me i wana be able to go out and do stupid shit and the new ones are to refined. I want a dangerous 3 pedal car and the cobra is the last of them ..Ford is ****ing up with the mustangs wanting to please the masses with the new 15 trash ....I am sooooo glad I kept my 04

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
If possible, get both. Roll out & rip on whichever you choose. They're damn sure different but both are fine examples of Blue Oval Horsepower..

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
As far as this go's I almost traded my 04 in back in 2011 for a gt500 my car had 15k on the clock and got a fair offer ( lk 24k) no bs ...but for me i wana be able to go out and do stupid shit and the new ones are to refined. I want a dangerous 3 pedal car and the cobra is the last of them ..Ford is ****ing up with the mustangs wanting to please the masses with the new 15 trash ....I am sooooo glad I kept my 04

Yup, I'd hate to have a new GT350. LOL

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
You would have to twist my arm if you wanted to get me into a new GT350... ouch, okay, I'll do it. :p

On a serious note. The Terminator is a charming and memorable car, but it is what it is. I wont be getting rid of mine if I can ever help it... I love it for what it is, and even though it is still fast and relevant... it is outdated. Don't take anything from these new cars coming out. They are engineering beyond 4 wheels and a motor like we have in these Terminators. While that is all we need to go fast, straight and have fun... some people want more than that.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ya I love my 03 cobra but the 2015's are much nicer/faster over all.

Mod for mod bla black don't care. My 4 digit power 03 cobra is still a 12 year old car, and full chassis build though it is, the 2015's are basically a whole new breed. A built 2015 would obliterate a built 03.

I want to build a gt350r into a delrin, hci, na hot handler.

Why not just enjoy both the older and the newer?

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I had an 2004 from early 05 until 2009. Loved the car but ended up selling it.

This spring I test drove a 2012 GT500, put a deposit down on it ask then took it home for a night. Felt like a long hood car to me, felt huge and heavy. I loved the interior though, seats fit me much better & the shifter was an easier reach. I'm 6'2, 220lbs and the GT500 fit me perfectly. But the GT500 felt massive... I backed out of the deal and decided to drive another Terminator before pulling the trigger.

Test drove a Terminator a week later, realized how much more I like the small-car feel, regardless if I wear the damn thing like a t-shirt on a humid 90 degree day. And well... I have another Terminator.

The GT500 rode smooth, stupid power, very nice interior, great looking car...but just felt like a giant Caddy.

The Cobra has rattles, stupid power, bland boring interior, no bells & whistles, looks sinister and drives like a Go-Kart on crystal meth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread