Switch over from Gt500 ?

jfitts23

Established Member
I have had 2 previous Shelby gt500's and i just purchased my first Terminator. Is it just me but does anyone else feel like its a better all around car? Also i thought the supercharger wine would be more but i can barley hear it, all i hear is exhaust over everything. It has 2.76 pulley and offroad x pipe but my shelbys and lightnings had all the same but the superchargers would scream.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I had a 08 gt500 before my terminator, I personally like the cobra more. The cobras blower wine will really scream with a port and a lower pulley too! Congrats on the swap!

stangfreak

Established Member
I would have thought the shelbys were better all around lol. Im a terminator guy so. But back when I had my eaton, I had borla stingers on and that catback is loud and I still heard my eaton. I had a 2.80 upper at the time. blower screamed. Not sure why yours is quiet. DAMN I miss my eaton hahaha

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats I love my Terminator but u have to ask why do you think it's a better all around car? I rode in my friends 13 GT500 and if I could afford one I would swap in a heartbeat. Stangfreak why do you miss your eaton?

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I forgot to mention, if you remove your hood blanket and heat extractor vent covers it really let's the sound out. Plus the covers on the heat extractors really keeps the heat inside, taking those out themselves is a great cooling mod. Congrats again! I just recently had a opportunity to buy my old gt500 back for a great price and I passed. I love my terminator too much. I doubt I'll ever sell it.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I had a TVS '10 GT500 before I ended up back in a Cobra, it was more comfortable and had better accessories but that also made it less fun to drive in my experience. Also due to the fact it was a heavy boat with a hydraulic clutch and electronic throttle body.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
As much as I love my Terminator, I don't think you can say it's an all around better car. Is it a better driving experience? I think that argument can be made.

On hearing that eaton - some are louder than others I guess, just like with Whipples. Everyone told me my Whipple was going to be near silent on 17lbs but it sounds like a damn siren. As said above - lose the blanket and stock vents, it will make a big difference.

72SBC

Established Member
I went from a 14 GT500 to a 04. It's not as fast or comfortable but, it looks better, and is a lot more fun to drive. I like not having all the nannies also too. The GT500 was deffinitly more refined but it took the fun out of the car.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Lol at the better all around car comment. I've owned 4 terminators and love them but after owning a Shelby no way in hell would I go backwards.

EB85

Established Member
I kinda like the slightly more sleeper styling of the Terminator over the Shelby. No stripes, no decals. Just the embossed COBRA in the bumper and a couple small snake emblems to give it away. Yeah, the bumper is different but that's not a dead giveaway some times. I find the seating position better in the Cobra, too. While it's still not the best for me, my dad's 3 valve car is worse. The seat belt tries to strangle me each time I sit in it.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Lol at the better all around car comment. I've owned 4 terminators and love them but after owning a Shelby no way in hell would I go backwards.

I definitely have to agree with you on this. I love my Cobra but feel the Shelby is improved pretty much in every way. Lots of people refer to our cars as being "RAW". I just contribute that feeling to our cars being very basic with no additional features and basically cheap all around. That's personally why I like mine so much because its just something I go out and have fun in. I guess it comes down to user preference but Shelbys are definitely built better in terms of quality. The 03-04 Cobra drivetrain is impressive to say the least but take that away and you are left with a chasis that dates back to the 70s and a cheap interior..

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I definitely have to agree with you on this. I love my Cobra but feel the Shelby is improved pretty much in every way. Lots of people refer to our cars as being "RAW". I just contribute that feeling to our cars being very basic with no additional features and basically cheap all around. That's personally why I like mine so much because its just something I go out and have fun in. I guess it comes down to user preference but Shelbys are definitely built better in terms of quality. The 03-04 Cobra drivetrain is impressive to say the least but take that away and you are left with a chasis that dates back to the 70s and a cheap interior..

Agreed....when I was looking into getting my Shelby I had been told I would feel "disconnected" from the car due to the TBW setup instead of the cable actuation. The info couldn't have been more wrong...the cars throttle response and steering was magnificent. Now if your talking bang for the buck cash out lay....ofcourse the Terminator wins out...it's older technology and a outdated chassis....and most low mileage ones are in the mid 20k range so easily attainable these days. The Shelby is well over double that for a newer one and has some added heft (4055lb' with me in it) but also a much bigger motor and many more amenities. All my drag time bests are posted in my signature so mine def doesn't sit as a museum piece it actually gets used for racing and street duty just like my terminators did. I hands down prefer the Shelby. Not to mention I FIT better in the S197 car....I'm a pretty wide bodied person and my shoulder is up against the door panel in the 03/04's....Not as cushy by any means compared to a S197 car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The S197 is a better chassis but the SN95 will always be a more nimble car due to its ultra short wheelbase which makes it more fun to drive

:rockon:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
The S197 is a better chassis but the SN95 will always be a more nimble car due to its ultra short wheelbase which makes it more fun to drive

:rockon:

That's why I own a 97 S281 Saleen Vert #213 lol....it's my beater lol

03slaminator

Established Member
I would kill to have a Shelby!! Buuuttt,,,,, I could never give my 03 up to get into one. I'm to attached to it. Lol and got way to much time put into it to even think of selling it. If I was to sell it then it would have to go far far away so I don't see someone else driving my baby. Hahaha.

But I would love to get into a gt500 one of these days.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I don't really have a fair comparison since I have a completely stock 04 vert compared to a highly modded 11 coupe... I drive my Shelby all the time. It is fantastic! I turn traction control off but appreciate stability control kicking in periodically preventing an end-swap. I much prefer the hydraulic clutch as my Terminator has the stiffest clutch I've ever driven. From my perspective, the only thing that is better in my 04 is the driver's seat. The power adjustments make it go from basically a standard seat to a Recaro. That is a cool feature not carried into the GT500's.

Now, having stated I prefer my Shelby, I still thoroughly enjoy my 04 for 2 main reasons... 1. The Mystichrome is totally mesmerizing. 2. It's a vert and fun for cruising when the weather is just right.

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Oh itll wine with the right mods
Get rid of the hood blanket, cut open the stock hood vents, get an aftermarket air intake. From there it gets a little more expensive

[video=youtube;Ebh6eV7x3ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebh6eV7x3ns&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread