Swapping from IRS to a SRA does it hurt resale value ?

Will swapping to a SRA hurt resale value ?

• SRA decreases value

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • SRA does not decrease value

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

FoMoCo08

LSX Slayer
Established Member
Just like the post says, I'm curious what other members think about this.
Does swapping the IRS out for a SRA hurt the value of the car when you sell it, I'm sure some prefer the original equipment because it rides/handles better. And some prefer a SRA because of it's durability and traction advantage when at the track or racing in a straight line.
Please vote/give opinions thanks :beer:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Probably depends on the buyer and if he/she plans on modding the car or not. The purists (like myself) who prefer T56/IRS combos would see it as a value downgrade whereas the drag racer who would throw one in anyway would see it as a plus. Mine came with a semi-built SRA that is about to get ripped out as soon as I finalize a deal on a stock IRS, hopefully today.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
These cars are now 10/11 years old. They are transitioning from a DD/muscle car into a classic/collectible car. I am not saying they have to be 100% original to maintain their value, but something radical, like engin/tranny/axle swap will start to be more of an issue as these cars age.

Ask anyone with a 69/70 Boss 302, if they car that their car has its original (or correct) engine/tranny/axle. Of course they do. Cars missing their unique, vital parts can be worth 80% less than a comparable unmolested car of similar condition.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Nothing screams "I have been subjected to ba-jillions of clutch drops" quite like a live axle/solid axle swap in an 03/04 Cobra.

Yes ditching the IRS is going to hurt value.

A truly sharp drag racer type that was looking for a Terminator powered car, would be dollars ahead just buying a GT based already built drag car in roller form and just put in the engine.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Nothing screams "I have been subjected to ba-jillions of clutch drops" quite like a live axle/solid axle swap in an 03/04 Cobra.

Yes ditching the IRS is going to hurt value.

A truly sharp drag racer type that was looking for a Terminator powered car, would be dollars ahead just buying a GT based already built drag car in roller form and just put in the engine.

I don't know about all that. I think an SRA swap would be cheaper and easier than a motor swap.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I voted yes because it probably would to most buyers.

unless they were pretty much looking for a drag racing only machine and were planning to do it right off the bat anyway

626socalstang

Established Member
If you plan on selling at Barrett Jackson auction to a collector then yeah you would see a decrease in resale..IMO the average person won't care, if he/she is in the market for a Cobra/Mustang I think the buyer just wants a fast car. My buddy has a termi and he did the swap to a SRA and sold the IRS for $800.:dancenana:-banana makes me laugh.

whatwhine

Established Member
i voted that it decreases the value; but i feel that for me, it wouldnt matter. i would buy one with either setup if the rest of the car was in good shape still. IIRC in the early days guys were swapping them out after snapping half shafts over and over. kinda before you could really build the IRS up to a strong piece, guys thought a SRA was the only way to go....

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I would say yes, since it is a drastic change to the original equipment of the car. Having said that, it's really easy to find someone looking for a SRA IRS swap and you can put it back to stock.
Also, should I assume that anyone keeping the IRS has been cornering the crap out of their car and been hard on it that way?

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
If you plan on selling at Barrett Jackson auction to a collector then yeah you would see a decrease in resale..IMO the average person won't care, .........

I totally disagree. The "Barrett Jackson" crowd is statistically insignificant. The handfull of bazillionairs are just out there showing off. In the real world, 90%+ muscle/collector cars are just nice cars owned by folks who earn a decent living and want a nice toy thats got some potential to grow in value.

In next 10-20 years, your going to see a lot fewer SVT Cobras at the track and on the road. Scarcity will drive up resale values originality WILL become more of an issue.

You need only look at the history of past muscle cars to see how this plays out. In the early 70's Shelby/Boss owners were ditching their smog and CA emissons crap and bolting on chrome valve covers, pulling Boss2 and k motors in favor of big blocks. You now see the aftermath of these mod-happy racer types. Today's owner/collectors, desperately trying to reconstruck a car that will NEVER really be correct.

So, sure..... You may just find a cobra buyer that wants (or is ok) with a SRA swap, but its unlikely. Even if they prefer a SRA, they might use that as a bargain point and expect a discount. (I would) Bottom line: Having the original IRS will never hurt your resale value. The SRA will probably NEVER improve it!

ILLBEBK04

Established Member
Barrett Jackson is the worst thing ever to happen to the collector car market. A bunch of rich guys that caused classic car prices to go through the roof just so they can show off!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would say yes, since it is a drastic change to the original equipment of the car.
Having said that, it's really easy to find someone looking for a SRA IRS swap and you can put it back to stock.

Also, should I assume that anyone keeping the IRS has been cornering the crap out of their car and been hard on it that way?

Seriously? NO!

I do not believe that you can legitimately or fairly make that leap and assume that all Terminators with an intact IRS have been flogging the hell out of it at road race style track events.

You still have the huge unmodified portion of "wax on wax off cars" driven to car shows and not much else.

Plus even on the cars that have been doing track events the shock loading on the entire driveline is not even close to what is seen between a road race app compared to a drag race app.

We wear out tires, brake pads, rotors and drivers, and rarely break stuff unless we go off track.
For example my car still is even on the original stock clutch with no signs of slippage yet in sight.

Drag racing applications are known to fairly commonly break everything in between the engine and the rear tires, including the engine. :poke:

b_dike

Established Member
If I'm the buyer... than ya it hurts the the value. Actually I'll probably just skip over your ad if I know it has an sra. So not only are you potentially decreasing the value to the majority of people looking to buy a terminator, but your limiting the number of potential buyers all together.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
nothing screams "i have been subjected to ba-jillions of clutch drops" quite like a live axle/solid axle swap in an 03/04 cobra.

Yes ditching the irs is going to hurt value.

A truly sharp drag racer type that was looking for a terminator powered car, would be dollars ahead just buying a gt based already built drag car in roller form and just put in the engine.

+ 65,000!!!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Seriously? NO!

I do not believe that you can legitimately or fairly make that leap and assume that all Terminators with an intact IRS have been flogging the hell out of it at road race style track events.

You still have the huge unmodified portion of "wax on wax off cars" driven to car shows and not much else.

Plus even on the cars that have been doing track events the shock loading on the entire driveline is not even close to what is seen between a road race app compared to a drag race app.

We wear out tires, brake pads, rotors and drivers, and rarely break stuff unless we go off track.
For example my car still is even on the original stock clutch with no signs of slippage yet in sight.

Drag racing applications are known to fairly commonly break everything in between the engine and the rear tires, including the engine. :poke:

I was just curious to your response here. I realize that I don't know a single person who has gone SRA that doesn't drag race, but it was more of an "assumption" question.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
It depends on what someone is looking to do with the car. I for one considered it a plus because I was looking for a car that I could take to the track every now and then and not tear the rear out of it. But for the guy that wants nothing but street playing I can see where it would hurt the value. When the time comes for me to sell my car I am sure people will think it was abused because of the sra but nothing could be further from the truth. It ended up seeing the track only about 6 times the whole time I have had it so all in all it will probably hurt me....Oh well....

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
If I'm the buyer... than ya it hurts the the value. Actually I'll probably just skip over your ad if I know it has an sra. So not only are you potentially decreasing the value to the majority of people looking to buy a terminator, but your limiting the number of potential buyers all together.

Seriously? You skip over it because it has an SRA?? Thats like saying I won't buy it because it has a bigger blower on it.

JDUB348

Established Member
As much as i'd like to disagree with this, it would hurt the value of the car. How ever i personally feel it will come down to what the buyer wants.

My car will never see a drag strip. It's mainly my weekend fun car, i just so happened to love the way my buddies car felt with an SRA so i decided to do the swap.

Honestly my SRA setup doesn't ride any worse then my stock IRS did. If any thing it rides better. How ever, my whole suspension setup is all aftermarket (Running a 3 link in the rear with coil overs).

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Seriously? You skip over it because it has an SRA?? Thats like saying I won't buy it because it has a bigger blower on it.

Some people are picky, and I too would skip over a sra swapped car. Something like that is going to make me question the craftsmanship, maintenance history and general condition of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread