SVT COBRA or Shelby GT500?

SVT COBRA or SHELBY GT%))

• SVT COBRA w/stripe/SHELBY delete

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • SHELBY all the way with as many old cues as possible

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • SVT COBRA and no SHELBY additions to up the price

Votes: 75 33.5%
  • Don't care one way or the other...just build it with a blown 5.4!

Votes: 64 28.6%

• Total voters

SVTCobra306

Established Member
03CobraBro said:
I think they should just go ahead and make a regular 07 SVT Cobra, same everything, and then they could have their limited edition "Shelby GT500" versions... Kind of like the Mystichrome or the 10th annivs are to the 03/04 Cobras with various cosmetic differences.

I agree 100 percent, have the "special edition" such as Mach 1/Bullitt for '07 be a souped up Cobra dubbed the Shelby GT-500. Make a KR model to replace the Cobra R. Maybe a Shelby GT-350 based on a 4V N/A motor.....

But there should be an SVT Cobra that is a bit more affordable than what the GT-500 is gonna be... it's getting into the 'vette range for me, I mean, it's cool, but I don't give it as much attention because I'll never own one.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
SVTCobra306 said:
I agree 100 percent, have the "special edition" such as Mach 1/Bullitt for '07 be a souped up Cobra dubbed the Shelby GT-500. Make a KR model to replace the Cobra R. Maybe a Shelby GT-350 based on a 4V N/A motor.....

But there should be an SVT Cobra that is a bit more affordable than what the GT-500 is gonna be... it's getting into the 'vette range for me, I mean, it's cool, but I don't give it as much attention because I'll never own one.

A Z06 starts at 68,500.00 and with GPS pegs at 70,000+....Your Shelby will be at least 20-25K less......No way is the Shelby going to approach Z06 pricing, unless a few idiots pay 15-20K over sticker.......

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I mentioned in the "SVT Cobra Out, Shelby In" thread that if Ford is pulling the SVT Cobra label off the new SHELBY Mustang GT500...there's a reason for it. They own the name and they will use it again. Considering how many are absolutely droolling over the potential appreciation value of the "SHELBY" branded Mustang I'm sure this won't be lost on Ford. My guess is the price of a new SHELBY GT500 will continue to rise. True, the new C6 Z06 is about $70K, but it's in a class all it's own. Yet there's plenty of premium room in that $30K difference with the GT500 that Ford may want to make up especially if it's a SHELBY. If the SHELBY name drives the price of the GT500 up, there WILL be room for a new SVT Cobra. If this is the case a new SHELBY GT350 probably wouldn't happen. RE the Z06, you can get a low mileage C5 Z06 for right around $35K.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I never mentioned the Z06. I just don't want to see the Cobra or its replacement being a 45000 dollar or more car. It may not be in Corvett price range, but it's still waay out of reach for me.

svt7

Established Member
As a faithful follower of the SVT line I think it would be a huge marketing mistake as well as a slap in the face to all the other svt enthusiast! Ford has a good thing going here...it reminds me of a old line "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
The Shelby name will add cost and cachet, but means nothing to me. I care about performance and value. I am glad other people have the extra money to spend large amounts on old cars. I prefer to spend smaller amounts on new cars with high performance and then spend smaller amounts to mod them to higher performance.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
red03cobra said:
The Shelby name will add cost and cachet, but means nothing to me. I care about performance and value. I am glad other people have the extra money to spend large amounts on old cars. I prefer to spend smaller amounts on new cars with high performance and then spend smaller amounts to mod them to higher performance.

I USED to be a huge fan of the AC427Cobra (see user I.D.) and the Pantera. But when I got my "R" I realized what 30 years of drivetrain/suspension technology means to a car! :read:

Before the Ford GT came along, the '00 R was untimate car Ford built to date. (ok, that was available to the public)

I just can't see the insane prices the car are bringing at the BJ auctions? If you ask me it's a case of people that know nothing about cars that simply have too much money?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
ah, but i can point to at least half a dozen '65-'66 mustangs that will smoke a late model on the road course. newer isnt necessarily better.

red03cobra said:

Skywarp

Established Member
I don't know about another marketing space for a specialty Mustang behind the 500. :read: Ford may have learned from the last time when they basically had to wholesale Machs and Cobras at the end of 04 in some areas. It would actually be in Fords interest to sell the 7000 cars between the coupe and convertible without possibly having to discount later on. You actually don't glut the market and in one way protect owners investments in the cars. Similar to why so guys have problems getting good money for their cars. The market is flooded with all types from race to bolt on cars. Too many at one time, but with demand to buy leaving buyers with alot of options to choose from. Although pedigree low mileage cars will command the most money.
Mercedes does this with the AMG line. There are more buyers willing to buy than there are cars to sell. Keeps interest high and values up. Can you imagine Ford selling 15,000 500s and in 5 years worth only $25K or less due to so many being built. That in itself would smear the car IMHO.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
I'd go with the Shelby name. It will prob be worth more when ready to sell it down the road.

Last edited:

stang22

Established Member
If Ford allowed Shelby to build this '07 it would have been a real true Beast,and a true shelby in the registry and would probably be worth alot more as time goes by,..but this is a svt shelby which is ok by me that they only used his name this time for selling purposes,because I really love the retro stang look and performance alot more, then the past few generations of mustangs(sales don't lie)!! But I could only dream and hope that the next one might be done by Shelby's company,for the best one yet!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread