SVT COBRA or Shelby GT500?

SVT COBRA or SHELBY GT%))

• SVT COBRA w/stripe/SHELBY delete

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • SHELBY all the way with as many old cues as possible

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • SVT COBRA and no SHELBY additions to up the price

Votes: 75 33.5%
  • Don't care one way or the other...just build it with a blown 5.4!

Votes: 64 28.6%

• Total voters

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
So what is everyones preference? I have notice some people seem to want the Shelby cachet/redux more than the COBRA part. I happen to want another SVT built around the core values of Performance, substance, Value and exclusivity myself but very curious as to what everybody else is thinking? Hopefully those of us actually planning to buy one have some say in the state of things.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
King Cobra said:
I just want a blown engine!

Get an 03/04 Cobra and run about 30 lbs of boost and you will have your blown engine. J/K

I just want to get a ride in one some day.

mnewxcv

Established Member
ive seen the concept and im not impressed. the 05 models + future years with this body dnt give the shelby accents the justice they deserve. i saw some model 05, it was red, had a lot of deletes, and a nice big hood scoop. ill try and find the pic cuz it looked boss.

03CobraBro

Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
This is the sort of thing that got me to wondering. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70

I think it was established a while ago that the car is only a tribute to Carol Shelby and not a project that was influenced by his input.

The name of the car is supposed to be commemerative more so than a "Newage" version of a relic.

I think they should just go ahead and make a regular 07 SVT Cobra, same everything, and then they could have their limited edition "Shelby GT500" versions... Kind of like the Mystichrome or the 10th annivs are to the 03/04 Cobras with various cosmetic differences.

Last edited:

bluetooth

Established Member
Man I am disapointed.. I realy would like the SHELBY across the back. I have allways loved the 67 shelby and I know this is not it but it is the next best thing for me at a far cheeper price. I guess I was hoping for a new age shelby.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
I suspect that is part of the problem. How do you define a "new SHELBY"? And price it in the area around a mustang. A mustang is not and can not be a corvette 2 seat sports car as it is based on a sedan platform.So anybody shopping for a vette at 55 is going to be very disappointed with a 40k mustang. The expectation for refinment is going to cause problems mark my words.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
With all due respect, you missed the point. Sure, back in the day, Shelbys kicked the 'Vette's arse all over the track, but refined??? No way. They were butt boards, rude & crude. The Shelby was never priced close to the 'Vette, just like now. I wouldn't expect the 'Vette's level of refinement for the price either. Anyway, that's not what I want. This car reminds me of the big-block Shelbys. When I was an active member of the Shelby American Auto Club (SAAC), there was always the argument: Who's better, big block '500s or small block '350s. Many times on the (drag) strip, the big blocks would dominate, but when it came to the road course, it was small blocks all the way.
I do believe that this new GT500 would easily outhandle & accelerate any stock Shelby mustang from the 60's & 70, so I ain't complainin'. Just bring it on!!!!! :pepper:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
I don't think I have missed the point. By being an early owner of an SVT car I had a good understanding of where the car came from. An attempt to raise Fords profile using a volume model. I suggest that people this time around when SVT is'nt a secret, very low production(remember they have built 140,000 cars now and only about 28-30000 then) a lot of new folks being asked to pay up to 65k are not going to understand, and they cross shop a lot of cars that we don't find appealling for their very refinement. I just don't want to see SVT take it on the chin when some of these buyeers are very dissapointed. Here I am preaching to the converted. What percentage of buyers are going to be first timers at these suggested markups?

Last edited:

94gt

Established Member
You are right. Leave it an SVT product only. This whole Shelby Mustang thing is just never going to work! I highly suggest you contact SVT right away and let them know the error of there ways before the company goes bankrupt. Posting a thread on svtperformance certainly won't do it. For starters all of us Shelby fans want the Cobra stuff because without Shelby there would be no Cobra Mustang. The name Cobra was sold to Ford in 1968 from Shelby and that is why all 68-70 Shelby's are called Cobra GT500's or Cobra GT350's. The bottum line is in the future a Shelby Cobra will hold it's value far better than a regular SVT Cobra. A 1967 GT500 sold in Bevidere Il. 4 months ago at the Mecum auction for $156,000. New this car was below $5,000. Now it sells for 31 X it's original cost. An SVT will never do that. I don't care if it's 300 years from now. Since 2000 Shelby Mustangs have doubled in Value as baby boomers are investing in classic cars. "How do you define a new Shelby and price it in the area of a Mustang" do you ask. The same way you did it before! In 1967 base price for Shelby GT500 $4400, 427 corvette $4800. Today $39000 for GT500 versus $45000 for Corvette, shockingly similiar. Anybody that pays 65,000 for a Shelby or anything over MSRP for a new car is an idiot. The bottom line is this is the best Mustang in 35 years and a retro version of a classic from the muscle car era. The Shelby GT500 is the classic Muscle car period with Values well in the 140,000 plus range. Corvettes 427's don't come anywhere near this, to some degree due to the lower production numbers of the Shelby. The Shelby name even though you and I know SVT designed the product just as Ford did on the 1968-1970 Shelby's is a huge boost to the car. Those of you that just want a SVT Mustang open the classifieds, they are full of them.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
94gt said:
You are right. Leave it an SVT product only. This whole Shelby Mustang thing is just never going to work! I highly suggest you contact SVT right away and let them know the error of there ways before the company goes bankrupt. Posting a thread on svtperformance certainly won't do it. For starters all of us Shelby fans want the Cobra stuff because without Shelby there would be no Cobra Mustang. The name Cobra was sold to Ford in 1968 from Shelby and that is why all 68-70 Shelby's are called Cobra GT500's or Cobra GT350's. The bottum line is in the future a Shelby Cobra will hold it's value far better than a regular SVT Cobra. A 1967 GT500 sold in Bevidere Il. 4 months ago at the Mecum auction for $156,000. New this car was below $5,000. Now it sells for 31 X it's original cost. An SVT will never do that. I don't care if it's 300 years from now. Since 2000 Shelby Mustangs have doubled in Value as baby boomers are investing in classic cars. "How do you define a new Shelby and price it in the area of a Mustang" do you ask. The same way you did it before! In 1967 base price for Shelby GT500 $4400, 427 corvette $4800. Today $39000 for GT500 versus $45000 for Corvette, shockingly similiar. Anybody that pays 65,000 for a Shelby or anything over MSRP for a new car is an idiot. The bottom line is this is the best Mustang in 35 years and a retro version of a classic from the muscle car era. The Shelby GT500 is the classic Muscle car period with Values well in the 140,000 plus range. Corvettes 427's don't come anywhere near this, to some degree due to the lower production numbers of the Shelby. The Shelby name even though you and I know SVT designed the product just as Ford did on the 1968-1970 Shelby's is a huge boost to the car. Those of you that just want a SVT Mustang open the classifieds, they are full of them.
I WILL SECOND YOUR OPINION!!! I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING A BATTLE WITH A FEW PEOPLE ON THIS WEBSITE THAT THINK THE "SHELBY" NAMEPLATE AND HIS INFLUENCE ON THE MUSTANG IS MINIMAL, AND SHOULD BE IGNORED. HE IS JUST AN "8 YEAR WONDER" WITH FORD,ACCORDING TO ONE GUY....I JUST SAW A KR500 ON EBAY THAT SOLD AT ALMOST 250,000.00. SVT IS JUST A DIVISION OF FORD, SHELBY IS A LEGEND WITH MOST MUSTANG AND SHELBY OWNERS, AND THE FACT THAT THE NEW GT500 WILL BE REGISTERED WITH THE SAAC, GUARANTEES ITS EXCLUSIVITY, AND PLACE IN FORD AND SHELBY HISTORY....

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Look I don't have a problem with C.S. or his place in history. Or FORD history either. I am aware of his input into all those 60's programs(Stang's, COBRA's, and the GT40's) But SVT has a VERY loyal sales base because of the way they have approached selling cars and a lifestyle as well. No less nor more than the Shelby era. I want an SVT and would prefer to have the option of not paying for old school cues( I could have bought a MACH 1 but didn't for this reason.) We can't all get what we want and are going to get one very good car for all reasons. So the question is is where does SVT(note that they; not Shelby et'all are designing, testing, certifying, and most important going to bat for us with HQ)compromise the car in order to get it built. The GT is the more or less cost no object car, and in the end this is a MUSTANG. A very impressive one but not a total assualt on all things automotive. So it comes down to what I as an individual will pay. And frankly I just want the kind of car SVT has been making for 10+ years. And judging by the poll above, folks are split just about equally on this. The really special part of this is that we are so passionate about these cars and have the chance to make our purchase intent count. That is a pretty rare thing in the age we live in(marketing) and I think a big thank you to everybody involved in the program. And to the people who watch every move they make because of the emotion and tradition involved. We could be fans of certain other car company's who have no need nor intent on building products like this for us at these prices. On to Jan. 6 2006

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Shelby, Twenty years from now at Barret Jackson I would rather be selling a Shelby than just a plain old Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread