supercharging ideas or experiences

holeshotltr450

Established Member
Hmmm....18 huh. Drive the car. Learn to drive it properly. Save your money, go to college, graduate, get a real job, then build car. I know it sucks, but it will be well worth it to wait till you can handle alot of power and have the CASH to fix it when it breaks. Having to work on your daily driver sucks ass. Working on your Cobra in your spare time because you have something else to drive is very relaxing. So, do some minor bolt ons, exhaust, shifter, CAI, gears, tune, springs/shocks/struts, they will all come in handy for boost anyway, and enjoy your car. You will learn alot about the car that way too. Save your money for other things.

well said. the cobra is my second car because i got that to do work on. i want to build a fast car (try to do most myself) and learn about it. my dad is going to open a building next week for me and put a lift in it so i can try this stuff myself and see if it takes me into a career..who knows. no matter what im going to start with minor boltons and learn and maybe 6 months to a year down the road put a small turbo on it

FlyinBryan

Established Member
You're 18? The car is already fast enough dude... It flies. Get some rims and ground effects instead. Maybe some subs.

holeshotltr450

Established Member
You're 18? The car is already fast enough dude... It flies. Get some rims and ground effects instead. Maybe some subs.

Thats what my dad is saying lol. The car is pretty quick. im not saying im god or anything but i can handle a car pretty well. ive been driving my parents srt8 i race quads im used to speed. But its not all about experience. I just Know not to be stupid and risk my life and others on the road. To be honest ive had this car for about a month and have not been over 75 mph .Those are some good ideas but since i have a truck ,the will turn into a drag car or weekend use car only

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

Ground effects? So help me if you put Neon lights in the undercarriage SVT Forums will disown you....Ok maybe just me but please do not rice out a Cobra!

Rims-cool

Subs-Kinda cool

Ground effects-Killed on site by other Cobra owners

Sell the cobra and go by an Eclipse if you want ground effects.

Parts list for you

1-CAI

2-Tune

3-3.73/4.10 Gears

4-Axleback

5-Headers and catted X

6-Intake

7-Underdrive PulliesS-ok if going Turbo but not if using a S/C

Likely get 320+RWHP and high 12's? in 1/4.

If going S/c/blower route do now because the more miles you place on engine the more potential to blow it up with worn parts.

Last edited:

Bite Me

Established Member
Learn to drive the car now cause its fast as is, fast enough to hurt feelings. Then when you get bored, braces, bushings, and gears and its a new car. I just got 4.30's and its fun.....to say the least.

Bite Me

Established Member
Thats what my dad is saying lol. The car is pretty quick. im not saying im god or anything but i can handle a car pretty well. ive been driving my parents srt8 i race quads im used to speed. But its not all about experience. I just Know not to be stupid and risk my life and others on the road. To be honest ive had this car for about a month and have not been over 75 mph .Those are some good ideas but since i have a truck ,the will turn into a drag car or weekend use car only

Oh now I just saw this..........why in the world do you want to add power if you havent driven the car to its potential yet? Shit stock gears these cars go 70 in 2nd.

holeshotltr450

Established Member
Oh now I just saw this..........why in the world do you want to add power if you havent driven the car to its potential yet? Shit stock gears these cars go 70 in 2nd.

havent had the chance and where i live its 45 mph congested area and cops sit on backroads all the time..ive driven faster cars and hit 140s..i like torque..

holeshotltr450

Established Member
Ground effects? So help me if you put Neon lights in the undercarriage SVT Forums will disown you....Ok maybe just me but please do not rice out a Cobra!

Rims-cool

Subs-Kinda cool

Ground effects-Killed on site by other Cobra owners

Sell the cobra and go by an Eclipse if you want ground effects.

Parts list for you

1-CAI

2-Tune

3-3.73/4.10 Gears

4-Axleback

5-Headers and catted X

6-Intake

7-Underdrive PulliesS-ok if going Turbo but not if using a S/C

Likely get 320+RWHP and high 12's? in 1/4.

If going S/c/blower route do now because the more miles you place on engine the more potential to blow it up with worn parts.

thanks.. i just ordered new rotors, pads, spec 2 clutch, jlt CAI, underdrive pullies. what kind of headers should i get? im gonna get a bassani catted x pipe and borla stinger catback exhaust.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
thanks.. i just ordered new rotors, pads, spec 2 clutch, jlt CAI, underdrive pullies. what kind of headers should i get? im gonna get a bassani catted x pipe and borla stinger catback exhaust.

I have Kooks but some times you run into problems if you don't match headers and x pipes. Definately an issue with long tubes but I think you can mix and match with Shorties. I don't think there are a lot of shorties for 99/01....JBA and Ford racing come to mind.

Just looked and Bassani has some headers to match your X but double check me.....bassani is a good name IMO. When switch is done post a vid with sound of your set-up.

fangs99

Established Member
if your thinking 1/4 mi then the first thing you should do is ditch that flimsy IRS.
build up the car first, then the motor. you'd be pissed if right after you spend an ass ton of money building up the motor and putting a blower on the car and then the trans or rear say good buy first time at the track or you deside to beat on it. and you will beat on it.

fangs99

Established Member
my car with all it miles on it is very fun at 320rwhp.
here's my list of mods.

built solid axle: 3.73/s ,31 spline eaton limited slip,FRPP 31 spline axles tq diff cover.

QA1 rear coilovers

viper spec t-56 w/ centerforce d/f clutch.

custom sub frames and boxed tq box's

UPR K-member and A arms

MAC longtubes, pypes off road x, magnaflow magnapacks cb

JLT CIA , electric water pump, SCT SF3 with custom dyno tune.

my next mod's are a UPR battery box and a NOS 125 shot.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You must get your crossover from the same manufacture as the longtubes. They all package them differently.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
i don't have a problem with mine. i've looked at my pypes and a MAC x pipe and there pretty much the same.

Some are close and some may even fit, but unless you find someone, you in this case, who has two different ones and you can see them fit, it's quite an exspensive chance to take. Kooks are every bit as good, and probably better, than Bassani, so why not get the Kooks pipe to match?

fangs99

Established Member
Some are close and some may even fit, but unless you find someone, you in this case, who has two different ones and you can see them fit, it's quite an exspensive chance to take. Kooks are every bit as good, and probably better, than Bassani, so why not get the Kooks pipe to match?

good point. but this thread is to help an 18 yr old kid. unless he's building his car on daddy's dime, some headders come with a 1k+ price tag.
i have mac long tubes, they fit great, look good and are kinder on the walet.
i got the x pipe used. a buddy of mine has a mach1 that he's useing the same headders and a mac x pipe. so i matched up the two mid pipes and they'er damn near the same. i'm just giveing my 2 cents and giving the kid a few options.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
QUOTE]

Ground effects are ok if done right, although not many companies make very quality parts. I agree Neon lights are a NO GO!

OP the only exterior change I would ever make to a mustang besides a different hood or rims would be a Saleen body kit. If thats what you mean by ground effects than Saleen is the way to go. Other than that the 99-01 Cobra has one of the best if not the best front bumper on a mustang. The hood can change as its the same hood as a v6 mustang and the rear bumper from a 03-04 Cobra looks better than the 99-01 bumper IMO. Keep the stock spoiler or change to a 03-04 spoiler if you swap to a 03-04 rear bumper. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread