supercharging ideas or experiences

holeshotltr450

Established Member
Ok, i just turned 18 and i got a stock 2001 cobra with 70k for my birthday and i got the cash to do stuff to it.i really want to supercharge it bad but i dont want to sieze the internals..should i just run low boost and do some simple bolt ons or run it N/A? and if i do supercharge it how much do you think i will end up spending and is it alot of work since im not just swapping and eaton out like an 03? thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would keep it N/A and save up for a new shortblock. It took me a weekend to install my blower. And then I managed to hurt the motor just getting on the freeway. I wasn't even WOT when it happened.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Welcome to the club. I'll let others cover this subject.

(I think you should drive it maybe add mild bolt ons Ie: intake, exhaust, and suspension. then after a year or more of research and getting used to the car then supercharge)

Ohh and don't worry about the engine siezing, if anything is to happen it's most likely those rods saying goodbye and leaving out the side of the block lol.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
1st you live real close to me we should meet up...my buddy lives in new port ritchey im there all the time.
2nd shit wont seize it will blow the **** up if not done right
3rd build around the blower for now...full exhaust...gears...clutch....etc
4th blowers rule just know you need money for when something breaks...your tranny could break (mine did) motor could blow...shit happens man!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Damm this is like a Florida Thread!! HaHa! Yeah you can run a non-intercooled with a big pulley producing like 6-8 psi with the stock shortblock and a smart safe tune!

SuperG

Established Member
Check the engine first beginning with a compression test and a leakdown test. If any of those are off, then forget the sc or turbo for a while. In the meantime, drive it a lot, you'll get to know how the engine is performing; then do some minor stuff like changing out the rear gear and others...have fun!

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
To be honest, I think an Eaton swap is a hell of a lot more work then getting any other blower. Second, definitely build for the power first. Shortblock is necessary for a supercharger. Yea people will say low boost safe tune, etc. But everyone knows you are not gonna be content with 6-8 psi. So I would save for the shortblock first. For now, go with gears, sub frame connectors, shifter maybe, IRS brace, lower that bitch if not done already, exhaust, etc. until you are ready to build the motor. Then go crazy with it. Also, a better trans will probably be necessary. I blew up the 3650 two months after the new motor was put in lol so yea shit does and probably will break.

holeshotltr450

Established Member
hey thanks for all the replies. From the ideas i got i should just build the motor up a little and maybe in like 6 months but a blower on it and run low boost. I will just take my time and build slowly and do some more research

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
yea it's hard to say which one i recommend more. my '99 ran perfectly with the blower at 9psi on the stock motor, i even sold it that way. ran it at the track quite often and everything. my '01 lasted 2 weeks on the dot with the hellion 76mm on the stock motor. after doing a motor in one of these cars i'd say do that right away and run it around on the built motor NA to get any bugs worked out. then do a blower/turbo of your choice...

no matter what i'd say drive the car around as it is on the stock motor with some bolt ons or whatever. you can't put a price on driving experience and how your car reacts in different situations at different times. if what your car does is a suprise to you at 275-300rwhp, imagine how it'll be not knowing what to do with 500+rwhp...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Go with the usual bolt ons first. Then some good suspension mods. I would also save for a built shortblock and do that first before the supercharger. I bolted on a D1SC and was making just over 400rwhp on low boost and guess what? My engine did not last 4k miles with the supercharger.

Also get used to and adjusted to the power your car is making now before you add power, otherwise you could end up wrapped around a poll. Happy birthday BTW.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Happy Birthday, helluva gift.
Personally, I would add cubes.

009.gif

[ame=http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/birdman941/white%20body/stage%207/?action=view&current=004.flv][/IMG][/ame]

Last edited:

holeshotltr450

Established Member
Go with the usual bolt ons first. Then some good suspension mods. I would also save for a built shortblock and do that first before the supercharger. I bolted on a D1SC and was making just over 400rwhp on low boost and guess what? My engine did not last 4k miles with the supercharger.

Also get used to and adjusted to the power your car is making now before you add power, otherwise you could end up wrapped around a poll. Happy birthday BTW.

yeah i will do some boltons and shortblock..thanks

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i know this isnt the for sale section but i will be doing a new motor next year (for even more boost) selling an MPH built motor for like 1.5k....rated for 700+ HP...pm me if you want it brospeh!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Hmmm....18 huh. Drive the car. Learn to drive it properly. Save your money, go to college, graduate, get a real job, then build car. I know it sucks, but it will be well worth it to wait till you can handle alot of power and have the CASH to fix it when it breaks. Having to work on your daily driver sucks ass. Working on your Cobra in your spare time because you have something else to drive is very relaxing. So, do some minor bolt ons, exhaust, shifter, CAI, gears, tune, springs/shocks/struts, they will all come in handy for boost anyway, and enjoy your car. You will learn alot about the car that way too. Save your money for other things.

Users who are viewing this thread