Supercharger unusual whine at idle

Vinny575hp

Established Member
I just installed the 4pc idler kit and have a 2.93 stock s/c and after installing them and starting her up, a weird whine from the s/c started and stays during idle and increases with more throttle when driving. Is this a issue or is this just the pulleys making the s/c spin faster causing you whine a little during operation?

joshcarp81

Established Member
I cant imagine you have whine at idle. That would mean you have boost at idle.
Pull the belt and check all pullies. I would guess noisy pulley if it didn't do it before the idler swap. Did you replace the stock upper pulley to the 2.93 while adding the 4 idlers?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Most likely the noise is the belt whistling from the grooved pulley and additional belt wrap. But post a vid so we can see what you're talking about.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
That actually sounds kinda like the power steering pump. Mine made a similar sound cause I had a kink in a line. Is the belt on correctly? And pulleys are in the correct spots?

Last edited:

Vinny575hp

Established Member
Yeah I basically took a pulley off and replaced it with a new one for all 3. And the belt is on the right way also

Vinny575hp

Established Member
yeah I'm all confused too and maybe I'll switch belts because I'm running the old belt on the new pulleys right now

Zemedici

Established Member
As I posted In your other thread, I think it may be your IC pump. Mine made a similar noise when it died.

01yellercobra

Established Member
IC= intercooler pump.

Sounds like a dying cat. Does it stop if you remove the blower belt?

Vinny575hp

Established Member
I haven't removed the belt since hearing it but now the squeaking on a pulley is back so I'm not sure if the squeaking is the old belt.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well I wish I could point you in the right direction but I can't tell by the video. Plus it just started after the pulley swap. It almost sounds like a noisy ported blower to me.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Take the belt off and see if the sound disappears…and change the oil in the Eaton. (it's always a good idea)

Users who are viewing this thread