Supercharger knocking and looking for moral support...

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Went to my tuner today because the stock Eaton was making some funny noises that I was concerned about.

We have diagnosed that the gears in the front of the Supercharger are about to go.

It kind of grinds while the engine is running and we checked the SC oil which is already filthy from just about a month of use. I am still driving it now and am afraid it will seize on me at a high boosted state which could be very bad. It is not my DD. I have no idea how this could have happened. The tuner (PHP) believes it to be from the previous owner banging on the car when the components were not up to running temps... Or just shear coincidence.

To say I am upset would be an understatement.

Has anyone else out there come across this issue or have any advice?

Obviously I am looking into a Whipple or a ported blower but I just got done with this build and was planning on waiting for a winter project so I could save money.

Any input would be appreciated. It would be awesome if you all were like, "mine has grinded for years and its fine!" I am doubting i will get that response. haha...

Thanks fellas!

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
sounds like a good oportunity for a Kenne Bell or Whipple! At least nothing major happened to the car man. Good Luck

Ironhand

Banned
I have never heard of the gears going. Bearings yes but not gears.

If it is gears I do have stock Eaton gears on the shelf.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Sounds like the bearings are worn and the rotors are contacting the case.

I believe that is more likely than the gears being worn.

Buy a used 2.3 Whipple from someone going larger, the 2.3 is still a freaking KICK ASS twin screw and by no means too small.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Good info by all and thanks for the quick responses.

Ya the bearings is probably what it is. We just know where the noise is coming from. Bearings for sure....

Can I still run it a bit like this before I come up with a solution?

Anyone out there with a used 2.3 for sale? Or even a ported?

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Please point me in the right direction to do so and it will be a done deal and maybe I can sleep tonight!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Just keep checking out the "market section" under terminator parts for sale.

mustang john

Established Member
Please point me in the right direction to do so and it will be a done deal and maybe I can sleep tonight!

Craigslist or on the market forums here and on any other sites like modfords, hell even ebay. Or if you have some extra cash find a used ported eaton for $600ish!

Last edited:

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry to hear, thats unlucky! I would park it. I know it doesnt matter but just curious how many miles on the car?

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Yes they are.......

I beg the differ....

I must be a coincidence or somewhere down the line of previous owner they put the wrong oil in it, but throughout my modding (i bought bone stock) there has been no signs of a problem until now.

mustang john

Established Member
I beg the differ....

I must be a coincidence or somewhere down the line of previous owner they put the wrong oil in it, but throughout my modding (i bought bone stock) there has been no signs of a problem until now.

Dont read into your eaton failure too much, these little blowers have taken a pounding over the last decade (i have dished out more than my fair share of punishment on mine lol) on our 03-04 Cobras and failures of any kind are very rare.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Dont read into your eaton failure too much, these little blowers have taken a pounding over the last decade (i have dished out more than my fair share of punishment on mine lol) on our 03-04 Cobras and failures of any kind are very rare.

I hear ya, I hear ya.....

Just not looking forward to dishing out the time/money to get this done and back on the road. I just wanna drive her!:shrug:

Emwun Garand

Established Member
I have the Eaton I just took off my car. No pulley on it, or EGR shit, but you can re-use yours. Sell it to you for $275 shipped

Has 30k miles on it and the oil was changed at 25k.

Users who are viewing this thread