Supercharged 93 Cobra, what's it worth?

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
Well mine had fairly low miles on it when I bought it (33K), but I never intended for it to sit in the garage. I had looked at one with 109K on it that need some cosmetic work, but the guy wanted 10K and I felt that that was full price or a bit more than it was worth. Only passed on it because the guy wavered on selling it. Ended up with the one that I have now and love it. Wasn't going to do anything to it but drive it, but got the performance bug and decided to make it the way I wanted it. Glad I did.

jrh99

Established Member
The CarFax SVT150 ran for me came back w/o any issues, but one thing that raises my eyebrow is the fact that there have been a lot of owners. I'm having a hard time reading the CarFax report correctly, but the guy who purchased it said that he's the 4th owner.
It's probably no big deal. I think I'm just looking for something to be wrong! I'm just waiting on financing and if it goes through quick enough I'll be in the running I think. I'll let you all know the turn out.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Damn, I've been watching that auction, and even responded in this thread without noticing they are the same car. :lol:

It will be interesting to see what it goes for. That car is almost a twin to mine except he has the vortech bolted on. I'm trying my hardest to leave mine stock. I have a plan to build something else to summer to keep my tools in use and happy.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I paid $12k for mine almost two years ago with 72k and similar mods sans the supercharger and thought I was getting a pretty good deal. I would pay $14k easy for that car assuming the body and interior are above average.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
The CarFax SVT150 ran for me came back w/o any issues, but one thing that raises my eyebrow is the fact that there have been a lot of owners. I'm having a hard time reading the CarFax report correctly, but the guy who purchased it said that he's the 4th owner.
It's probably no big deal. I think I'm just looking for something to be wrong! I'm just waiting on financing and if it goes through quick enough I'll be in the running I think. I'll let you all know the turn out.

Be aware. Carfax's are 100%. I bought my car and it had a spot on the rear vallence that needed some attention. Took it to a good body shop and hard it repainted. Bosy shop owner said it had been repainted before. Then, as he was looking over the car, he said that there was a spot that had been repainted. The paint in that area matched perfect, but he seen where they brought the two paints together, which I could barley see after he pointed it out.

About 6 months later, I talked to a guy that had looked at the car 1 year before. He said there was a large scratch at that area where the guys wife had ran it across the mail box. He said it wasn't bad, but was there. Evidently, he had it fixed and never said anything to me. The car fax showed no repairs had been done to the car.

So, don't rely on the Carfax 100% for everything. I could have probably got Carfax to buy the car back, but I like the car too much for that. And since I planned on driving the hell out of it (lots of miles, even thought it only had 33k on it when I bought it) I didn't care and kept the car. Glad I did.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nice! Whether or not you paid too much now, in a couple years the value will catch up and pass that price anyway. That's kind of what the mentality in the muscle car market has been... Guys will pay rediculous prices for cars even if they're not worth it at the time, only because the following year or year after that they will be. It's flattened out now, but a couple years ago that was the case.

These 93's are on an up swing, I think you did well.

f2hatch

Established Member
if the car is MINT i would pay his asking price. 16k is not bad for a car like that. i buy and sell a lot of foxes and real nice ones are harder to come by with out paying for it. i would rather pay 5k more and be happy than worring about the price. i have a buddy here selling a mint and i mean mint supercharged two tone lx 12k. still has it people around rather spend less and buy junk.and at the end of the day a car is only worth what people will pay for it.

Last edited:

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
Nice! Whether or not you paid too much now, in a couple years the value will catch up and pass that price anyway. That's kind of what the mentality in the muscle car market has been... Guys will pay rediculous prices for cars even if they're not worth it at the time, only because the following year or year after that they will be. It's flattened out now, but a couple years ago that was the case.

These 93's are on an up swing, I think you did well.

Over the long run, with few exceptions, are not the best place to put your investment. The prices are too volatile. Shelbys were selling a couple of years ago for 400-500k. this year, 175k. That isn't a small amount. 10 or 20 k I can see, but half? Not a good investment. If you watched some of the auctions you would notice that the majority of cars are down. Probably in part due to the economy, but that is a small percentage. The collectors aren't effected much by the economy like the average person.

Are our cars going to go up in the following years to come? Who knows. I wouldn't count on it if you are looking for a long term investment.

jrh99

Established Member
I guess it wasn't meant to be. The guy I was dealing with wants to keep the car. Long story short, there are no hard feelings. He seems like a real nice guy and is going to ask around between some car guys he knows to see if there's anything else out there that I'd be interested in. So I'm back in the hunt... If anyone knows of a Teal/Black or Black/Black Cobra, please let me know! I'd also consider a very nicely done notch.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Over the long run, with few exceptions, are not the best place to put your investment. The prices are too volatile. Shelbys were selling a couple of years ago for 400-500k. this year, 175k. That isn't a small amount. 10 or 20 k I can see, but half? Not a good investment. If you watched some of the auctions you would notice that the majority of cars are down. Probably in part due to the economy, but that is a small percentage. The collectors aren't effected much by the economy like the average person.

Are our cars going to go up in the following years to come? Who knows. I wouldn't count on it if you are looking for a long term investment.

I disagree. The baby boomers made the muscle car market explode a few years ago, the brunt of that buying frenzy has somewhat subsided, and the muscle car market is nolonger investment territory. I don't think it's economy that's effecting it either. Look at the 93 R. It's doubled in value in 4 years, and still going up. Same with the 00 R, it's on it's way up after a lull a couple years ago. 93's are on the way up too, look at the ultra low mile cars. A couple years ago you could get a wrapper 93 for $20k. Now that same car will cost $30k or more. High/er mile 93's will always be cheaper and beaters will always be cheap, but the real nice ones are the ones that will continue to gain in value as the desire to own an original one continues to go up.

Also, in the muscle car world, a very nicely restored car would bring big money, I think with the fox's and 93 cobras, low mile originals will be the big money cars, not restored ones.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
I disagree. The baby boomers made the muscle car market explode a few years ago, the brunt of that buying frenzy has somewhat subsided, and the muscle car market is nolonger investment territory. I don't think it's economy that's effecting it either. Look at the 93 R. It's doubled in value in 4 years, and still going up. Same with the 00 R, it's on it's way up after a lull a couple years ago. 93's are on the way up too, look at the ultra low mile cars. A couple years ago you could get a wrapper 93 for $20k. Now that same car will cost $30k or more. High/er mile 93's will always be cheaper and beaters will always be cheap, but the real nice ones are the ones that will continue to gain in value as the desire to own an original one continues to go up.

Also, in the muscle car world, a very nicely restored car would bring big money, I think with the fox's and 93 cobras, low mile originals will be the big money cars, not restored ones.

And I disagree. The trend is that anything with a big block is worth money. This has been the trend for the last 3 or so years. Doesn't matter what the car had originally, only that it now has a big block. This is especially true wit t Mopars. ANYTHING with a crate Hemi pulls big money. Doesn't matter if it had a slant 6 before. This trend has diluted the price on many of the original cars. People just won't pay the money for an original that they used to with the diluted market.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I agree, but I think that works with the muscle cars because it becomes a working mans big block car. Compare an original Hemi car to a 318 car that now has a Hemi. The original Hemi car will always out value the Hemi clone. The original sells for big money to an avid collector, and the Hemi swap car sells for okay money to a working man who wants a Hemi car, but can't afford the real thing. When a Hemi engine itself is worth $25,000, Obviously it's going to add a large value to whatever it's put in.

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
That is true with the Hemi cars. But watching some of Barrett/Jackson this year showed some NICE originals with matching numbers that were big block cars (440's) that sold for much less than a Challenger that was originally a 340 car, but had a crate Hemi in it. That is what ruins the prices on the original cars.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It's hard to compare anything to a Challenger with a Hemi in it, original or not. Aside from the Challenger body cars (B body), look at the Coronets and Chargers. Original Hemi A bodys sell for a good amount more than A bodys with Hemi transplants.

And really...Look at an original Hemi Challenger compared with a 318 or 340 Challenger with a Hemi transplant. The original Hemi Challenger will more than double the price of the other in an auction.

Users who are viewing this thread