Sugar, Obesity and Diabetes: The Great American Health Epidemic

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
at 3x the cost.

Cheap, Fast or Healthy. Pick two. Most americans barely have time for cheap and fast.

Its our society, IMO, and so many variables have attributed towards this trend over the years.

Yes healthy food isn't cheap. But not having time? Why are so many people so busy? What has changed in the past 20-30 years that they don't have time? I think people are more lazy than ever and just looking for "convenient".

Machdup1

Established Member
do you live in a crappy apartment complex?
Are you poor?
Have you been poor?

I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying that it is harder than you all are making it out to be. When you have disposable income it is easy to eat healthy.

Eating healthy costs more and takes more time when it is all said and done. Does it cost a lot more? No, but costing more is all relative to your income. To somebody that is poor and that has very little free time the decisions become more difficult.

I get the impression that most of you think being poor means both parents are around, both have jobs, and they are stealing from government programs. There are a lot of facets to being poor and most of you are insensitive to that.

America, the only country on earth where the poor, unprivileged, starving people complain about the quality free food, free shelter, free cable, free phones, free everything and say they arn't getting enough free stuff.

Absolutely Amazing.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
do you live in a crappy apartment complex?
Are you poor?
Have you been poor?

I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying that it is harder than you all are making it out to be. When you have disposable income it is easy to eat healthy.

Eating healthy costs more and takes more time when it is all said and done. Does it cost a lot more? No, but costing more is all relative to your income. To somebody that is poor and that has very little free time the decisions become more difficult.

I get the impression that most of you think being poor means both parents are around, both have jobs, and they are stealing from government programs. There are a lot of facets to being poor and most of you are insensitive to that.

I used to live in a studio apartment on my own, working as a manager at bk (shit pay long hours), and put myself through school. It was much cheaper to buy a few things at the store for the week than eat out every meal of every day.

2001sleeper

Established Member
That makes no sense. Sometime my wife and I slip up and decide to eat fast food multiple times a week. On a good week, we plan out healthy meals and cook every night. We spend WAY less money on the latter.

TIME
you are assuming some critical luxuries in the life of a poor person.
Planning and time are not the same for a poor person struggling to get through life.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I used to live in a studio apartment on my own, working as a manager at bk (shit pay long hours), and put myself through school. It was much cheaper to buy a few things at the store for the week than eat out every meal of every day.

a healthy lifestyle is much more involved than eating out every other week.
I see that you associate eating unhealthy to just eating out and that is not always the case. People eat unhealthy at home quite a bit too.

2001sleeper

Established Member
If they would have spend less money on beer and smart phones, they could've bought a reliable used car and some decent clothes for job interviews years ago. .

We are talking about different economic classes, you understand that right?
I figured that most of you just lump all "poor" people in the same categories, but that is not what I am doing. Yes, there are people with the means that choose to live a poor life like the ones you are speaking of.
I am speaking about the ones that don't want to live a poor life, but are also very limited due to their struggle, education, or abilities. A healthy lifestyle is not so obtainable to everybody and that is where you are insensitive.

And this is where the government should help in regards to the chemicals used in foods, marketing strategies, school food, labeling, etc... You don't have to agree with this opinion, but I would like to see this place make another 100 years.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Established Member

I love this, not only cheaper and healthier but tastes a lot better too. The thing people tend to forget about empty calories is just that, its empty. I noticed buying more expensive yet wholesome options saves money in the long run because you eat less and feel fuller faster. When I do eat fast food I notice I get hungry an hour later. People should be educated, unfortunately that education seems to be diluted with crap.

Machdup1

Established Member
TIME
Planning and time are not the same for a poor person struggling to get through life.

Time is a non-issue. Anyone can wake up 30 minutes early to cook for the day. Your statement is an outright falsehood.

a healthy lifestyle is much more involved than eating out every other week.
I see that you associate eating unhealthy to just eating out and that is not always the case. People eat unhealthy at home quite a bit too.

They make a decision to eat poor quality food. To bad for them. Personal responsibility is tough.

I am speaking about the ones that don't want to live a poor life, but are also very limited due to their struggle, education, or abilities. A healthy lifestyle is not so obtainable to everybody and that is where you are insensitive.

It is not insensitive to realize that life isn't fair and that if you make poor decisions, you will get poor results.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Time is a non-issue. Anyone can wake up 30 minutes early to cook for the day. Your statement is an outright falsehood.
It is a falsehood because your experience is much different? That is a pretty self-centered view.

They make a decision to eat poor quality food. To bad for them. Personal responsibility is tough.
My argument and teh topic of this thread is that they make a poorly informed choice. You can say that they own this responsibility, but the topic of this thread is the governemnt's role in the decisions made be the lesser educated. If you want to absolve our government in not playing a role and keep your head in the sand, that is your choice.

It is not insensitive to realize that life isn't fair and that if you make poor decisions, you will get poor results.
If you realize that life is unfair then you should realize that people's choices, options, and struggles will be very different from yours.

Branhammer

Established Member
TIME

We are talking about different economic classes, you understand that right?
I figured that most of you just lump all "poor" people in the same categories, but that is not what I am doing. Yes, there are people with the means that choose to live a poor life like the ones you are speaking of.

And this is where the government should help in regards to the chemicals used in foods, marketing strategies, school food, labeling, etc... You don't have to agree with this opinion, but I would like to see this place make another 100 years.

My mother raised my brother and I alone and the most she EVER made was $21k per year. I went to college while working full-time at a job where started at minimum wage and was only making $9 when I graduated college. At one point during my college career, my mother got too "depressed" to handle a job and my brother, emulating her, also got "depressed" and managed to get himself home schooled for his senior year of high school because facing school every day was "too hard" for him to handle emotionally. Neither of them worked or did anything around the house. This left me to juggle cleaning and maintaining the home with college and my job.

I remember one night in particular when my grandmother had come and stayed with us for a week to try and help out. That night, she and I gathered up the 5 months of past-due bills that my mother had let pile up, sat in the living room floor with our check books, and paid off all of it. It took everything I had saved over a 3-year span and most of what my grandmother had. From that point on, I pretty much paid for everything at that house and supporting two grown adults who wouldn't work.

That house was condemned and torn down after we all moved out and I left for the military, as was the home we lived in before that home. And this all took place in WV, one of the lowest rated states for education in the country. So yeah, I understand exactly what demographic to which you are referring. You're assuming too much.

I'm insensitive to it because I lived it and I get sick of hearing excuses from others who say that what I did is "too hard."

And TIME? Really? I didn't have enough time then and I still barely do now, yet I still find time to cook. It takes 45 minutes or less.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Yes healthy food isn't cheap. But not having time? Why are so many people so busy? What has changed in the past 20-30 years that they don't have time? I think people are more lazy than ever and just looking for "convenient".

Agreed, everyone looks for the easy and convenient way and makes excuses why they can't just cook.

Machdup1

Established Member
It is a falsehood because your experience is much different? That is a pretty self-centered view.

My argument and teh topic of this thread is that they make a poorly informed choice. You can say that they own this responsibility, but the topic of this thread is the governemnt's role in the decisions made be the lesser educated. If you want to absolve our government in not playing a role and keep your head in the sand, that is your choice.

If you realize that life is unfair then you should realize that people's choices, options, and struggles will be very different from yours.

I've been poor. I didn't like it.

I've had no food in the house. I didn't like it.

That motivated me to work my ass off and to make better decisions, every day. I have no mercy for any able bodied person who will not help themselves through good decisions and extremely hard work. I've been a dish washer, I've swung a pick for a living, I've been a janitor and every other shot job there was.

I would do any work I could to avoid be a leeching parasite working the system to get free handouts.

These folks do own their choices and their lives and we do not have to feel for their struggles or lift them up. Every person has to lift themselves up.

The Internet makes the lack of knowledge or poorly informed argument null and void. If you didn't research it on the web, you are lazy.

Your arguments don't stand up.

2001sleeper

Established Member
My mother raised my brother and I alone and the most she EVER made was $21k per year. I didn't have enough time then and I still barely do now, yet I still find time to cook. It takes 45 minutes or less.

thanks for sharing your experience as it adds to the discussion.
Which assumptions of mine are too much?
You painted a pretty clear picture that it is not easy growing up poor and that has been my sentiments this whole time. Eating healthy and making great decisions when growing up poor is not easy. From your household, 1 out of 3 make good decisions in general. You did not exactly touch on your available diet growing up though and that would be important to this topic.

When people state that the government should have no role in the diet of Americans I counter by stating that all military cafeterias should have the exact same offerings as an inner city high school. People's attitude usually changes at that point. By the example above, growing up poor is not easy and our government should help out with the proper education and nutrition through our education system. Take a look at what other countries do if you need more examples.

2001sleeper

Established Member
The Internet makes the lack of knowledge or poorly informed argument null and void. If you didn't research it on the web, you are lazy.
At what age is somebody expected to get all of their education from the internet?

You are still lumping all poor people into the same category and we all know that is an inaccurate depiction.

Users who are viewing this thread