Sugar, Obesity and Diabetes: The Great American Health Epidemic

MG0h3

Established Member
2001sleeper, all good points.

I think the GOV has done a good job getting the info out there. A lot of restaurants now have the protein/fat/carbs and calorie count listed right on the menu. Every item in the grocery store has a label on the back. i would think that if a human, at a reasonable age, doesn't know the difference between sugar, fat, protein, etc., that is not the fault of the government or society. The simple fact that there are documentaries out there about this shows this is a widely talked about subject.

I don't care where you live or if the McDonald's is a closer walk than the grocery store, you can get a chicken salad and water there.

It really comes down to personal accountability.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
vegetarian-is-an-old-indian-word-for-bad-hunter.jpg

Top-Memes-9-my-food-shits-on-your-food.jpg

cd75e9c833b69ac3393b7bf68ad4cbfe.jpg

i-chzbgr1.jpg

MPM IV

Established Member
If anything I blame it on parents and in general people being over lazy.

guys, it's all on the parents.

I agree with this to a point. I have three school aged children, and I'm amazed at how much crap they get at school. We pack their lunch, snack, and drink daily.

When they do well they're rewarded with candy. Kid has a birthday and everyone gets crap (cup cakes, candy, etc.). This week prior to Christmas break all three have had some kind of party with pizza or doughnuts and/or other garbage, and they have also come home with Ice cream cones decorated with icing and candy to look like a Christmas tree, candy canes, etc. They're being trained to view that as a reward.

I'm not sure the solution. It's hard to tell a seven or five year old that they don't get the rewards, or that they'll be the only ones in class not joining the party. On the other hand, I'd like to be able to take them for Ice cream, or give them a treat once in a while without feeling like I'm contributing to the mass amount of crap that they're getting.

Machdup1

Established Member
Prevention is the key to fighting obesity and that has to start at an early age. Best way to fight this at an early age is with better education and more positive environmental pressures.

What is the single best education tool to provide information to these folks at an early age that these people actually use every single day?

2001sleeper

Established Member
What is the single best education tool to provide information to these folks at an early age that these people actually use every single day?

there is not one single best tool and information needs to be presented in various ways if you want to reach everybody. A good bit of research states that there are 7 different styles of learning that an individual can respond to and that there is not one tool that stimulates all styles simultaneously.
I have taught at the grade school level through the college level and there is not one tool that will teach all types of students equally.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
there is not one single best tool and information needs to be presented in various ways if you want to reach everybody. A good bit of research states that there are 7 different styles of learning that an individual can respond to and that there is not one tool that stimulates all styles simultaneously.
I have taught at the grade school level through the college level and there is not one tool that will teach all types of students equally.

I think he's trying to say that the best tool to teach young people is them learning at school, something that can't happen if they don't attend on a regular basis. That's another one of my pet peeves, the poor complain about lack of opportunity but then don't MAKE their children goto school and behave.

IMO, if anyone is on public assistance of any kind and their minor child is habitually truant from school and/or an extreme disruption in school, that public assistance should be cut off.

Machdup1

Established Member

You are conveniently redirecting away from the question to avoid stating the obvious.

Cry uncle much?

Planter

Banned

Good stuff here, and I'll expand upon it.

I think the sugar/candy/junk food companies should be treated just like the tobacco companies. no marketing to kids or teens, no magazine ads, tv commercials, radio commercials, no using cartoons or animated figures to promote those items.

all that crap should have also have warning labels on them stating that abusing these foods has been linked to obesity and diabetes.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Good stuff here, and I'll expand upon it.

I think the sugar/candy/junk food companies should be treated just like the tobacco companies. no marketing to kids or teens, no magazine ads, tv commercials, radio commercials, no using cartoons or animated figures to promote those items.

all that crap should have also have warning labels on them stating that abusing these foods has been linked to obesity and diabetes.

I stumbled upon this article this morning supporting your comments.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151218113414.htm

It is about games strongly advertising sweet treats to kids and being a strong environmental influence.

Machdup1

Established Member
Just because you don't understand doesn't mean I redirected. I answered your question, you just don't understand the answer.

I understand you perfectly. You have a failed position and cannot support your argument, but that doesn't stop you from repeating your position and redefining it to find a way to appear to be less silly.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I understand you perfectly. You have a failed position and cannot support your argument, but that doesn't stop you from repeating your position and redefining it to find a way to appear to be less silly.
You have yet to disprove my position and never attempt to support your own at anytime.
You clearly spend a lot of time on the Internet, so you should have a PhD on the subject by now. So provide some factual information or go eat a Twinkie. You even ask a dumb open ended question, get a legitimate scientifically supported answer, then proceed to not even answer your own opinion laden question to continue the discussion.

Just make pointless "cry uncle" comments which add a lot of value to any discussion. Lol

2001sleeper

Established Member
Although some people think you can learn anything and everything on the internet the response in this thread prove otherwise. If you think the internet is the answer to healthy living but yet you can't use the internet to even properly educate yourself on the topic at hand, you may need to take a step back.

For those that fail on internet research here are some articles supporting my stance on "being poor and eating healthy is not as easy as some want to make it out to be." Just because you could do it (congrats by the way as being fat is unhealthy) does not mean it was easy and IS easy.

Some of the articles below are free, but some you need a membership to access. Some people may see some of the studies as excuses, but I guess that is a grey area you can choose to stay in. My perspective is that if something is easy there are zero or very little hurdles to overcome. The more major hurdles placed in front, the harder success becomes. If life was easy we would all be 6'2", 200lbs, 6% body fat, 10" schlong, and be billionaires.
To bring this full circle; our government has a responsibility to not excessively contribute to the hurdles and to remove hurdles as dictated by the well being of the public. That is one of the reasons why we pay taxes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1508793/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11943585
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3455921/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9130028

Machdup1

Established Member
Although some people think you can learn anything and everything on the internet the response in this thread prove otherwise. If you think the internet is the answer to healthy living but yet you can't use the internet to even properly educate yourself on the topic at hand, you may need to take a step back.

For those that fail on internet research here are some articles supporting my stance on "being poor and eating healthy is not as easy as some want to make it out to be." Just because you could do it (congrats by the way as being fat is unhealthy) does not mean it was easy and IS easy.

Some of the articles below are free, but some you need a membership to access. Some people may see some of the studies as excuses, but I guess that is a grey area you can choose to stay in. My perspective is that if something is easy there are zero or very little hurdles to overcome. The more major hurdles placed in front, the harder success becomes. If life was easy we would all be 6'2", 200lbs, 6% body fat, 10" schlong, and be billionaires.
To bring this full circle; our government has a responsibility to not excessively contribute to the hurdles and to remove hurdles as dictated by the well being of the public. That is one of the reasons why we pay taxes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1508793/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11943585
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3455921/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9130028

Your logic failes you. What you point to is not a failure of the Internet and the Information it provides, you are actually condemning the entire public education system who has dumbed down our citizens where they are incapable of analyzing information.

This cannot be fixed by the government, only by the individual who decides to improve their reasoning skills and analyze a particular subject. In this case diet.

To assume that government can fix the problem implies that you need to step back from the keyboard and re-evaluate your reasoning skills to refocus on avenues might actually fix the problem.

All of the governmental dietary programs in the world cannot fix a poor educated populous. Fixing that is up to the individual, who the democrat party has written off based the entirety of their policies.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Is obesity development associated with dietary sugar intake in the U.S.?

Conclusion: Among the dietary factors investigated in the present study, total caloric intake, not total sugar intake, most strongly predicted obesity in the American population. Maintaining an energy balance through the control of dietary intake and expenditure within healthy lifestyles is the key to achieving a healthy weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22817826

2001sleeper

Established Member
Your logic failes you. What you point to is not a failure of the Internet and the Information it provides, you are actually condemning the entire public education system who has dumbed down our citizens where they are incapable of analyzing information.

This cannot be fixed by the government, only by the individual who decides to improve their reasoning skills and analyze a particular subject. In this case diet.

To assume that government can fix the problem implies that you need to step back from the keyboard and re-evaluate your reasoning skills to refocus on avenues might actually fix the problem.

All of the governmental dietary programs in the world cannot fix a poor educated populous. Fixing that is up to the individual, who the democrat party has written off based the entirety of their policies.

You don't know how to follow conversation. You are the one that pointed to the internet as the best and all knowing educational resource. I only commented on the internet due to your multiple comments and failing at internet research was pointed at you. I have already commented on the failure of our educational system multiple times. Nothing new here.

Where did I ever say that the government can fix the problem?

Just more argumentative comments by you that don't actually address the topic at hand and once again no support for your stance. What is your stance again? Maybe you should type it out again to remind yourself.

MG0h3

Established Member
Holy crap where are you guys gonna stop.

Its the person's fault that they are eating too much crap and sit on their fat asses playing freaking video games and facebook all day.

When I was a kid I would eat candy all the time but the majority of activities available involved more than a finger and a thumb.

I should have taken a picture of the four kids in line at the gas station last night. Go figure the fat asses had two hot dogs each and large cokes, the normal sized kids didnt.

And if you were a teacher sleeper, I guess you failed the fat asses that you taught because it was your responsibility to hold their hand.

Machdup1

Established Member
Should there also be responsibility on our government as well, absolutely. The poor are a target rich environment for capitalism and making the best decision can be difficult when you don't know who to trust. Lobbyists fight for their companies so that they can not be regulated, misinform the public, and use sub-par ingredients for profits. This is where the government should play a role, keeping companies honest.
Local governments should play a larger role in quality nutrition in schools and our tax dollars should not be used to support an obesity epidemic that jsut drains our local resources even more.

Where did I ever say that the government can fix the problem?

You say one thing and then deny it it. Interesting way of building credibility .

You state that the Internet is not the best learning tool and then you use it as the basis of your evidence.

Another interesting position.

Users who are viewing this thread