Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the school was flying the American flag (like every school I've seen) or did they take it down for fear of aggitating someone?

Get used to it? Nah. Eventually people are going to start punching (not pushing) back and I won't blame them in the least.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I'd have refused to take it off or turn it inside out. Then again, I'm a Marine and like to stand up for what I believe.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
In our mamsy-pamsy political correctness we're becoming a soft nation. And at times an outright embarrassment to our fore-fathers. I would have let them suspend me before removing clothing that would be acceptable on any other day. We ARE in America, right? :nonono:

+1 on this, and nicely put.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I wonder if the school was flying the American flag (like every school I've seen) or did they take it down for fear of aggitating someone?
Get used to it? Nah. Eventually people are going to start punching (not pushing) back and I won't blame them in the least.

Bingo! That was my first thought. I would have pointed to the Stars n Bars on the flagpole and told them to pound sand.

oilwell1415

Established Member
That said, my opinion is that there is never a time and place where wearing an American flag is inappropriate in America.

But this is AMERICA and that should mean being able to wear an AMERICAN flag t shirt anywhere, anytime, any place. Being asked to take off the bandanas would suffice imo. We were never allowed to wear them in school, might be different there idk.

The problem with the situation was that the kids never broke any rules. Yeah they may have purposfully brought attention to themselves but they did it in a way where they never once broke any rules, except for the bandana around the head. Never once was the dress code violated by the t-shirts they were wearing!

From Title 4 of the U.S. Code regarding our flag:

§8. Respect for flag

d. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

In other words, they were in violation of U.S. Code by wearing shirts/bandanas made of the flag and that is probably justifiable reason to send them home from school. The fact that it was May 5th is a piss poor reason for them to send them home, but the kids were not in the right. As silly as it is, they shouldn't have been wearing the flag.

65fastback2+2

Established Member

In other words, they were in violation of U.S. Code by wearing shirts/bandanas made of the flag and that is probably justifiable reason to send them home from school. The fact that it was May 5th is a piss poor reason for them to send them home, but the kids were not in the right. As silly as it is, they shouldn't have been wearing the flag.

uhhh, you do know they werent wering A flag, they were wearing cotton items COLORED in the manner of the flag

good try though

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

They allow people to burn it for free speech purposes, you really think that people cant wear a depiction of it on a shirt?

oilwell1415

Established Member
uhhh, you do know they werent wering A flag, they were wearing cotton items COLORED in the manner of the flag

good try though

They allow people to burn it for free speech purposes, you really think that people cant wear a depiction of it on a shirt?

They didn't say it was a depiction, they said it was an American flag shirt, implying that is meant to look like it was made out of a flag. To me that means this:

AAAA415KTS.jpg

If it's a shirt with a picture of the flag on it that's a different story, but that isn't what was said.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
They didn't say it was a depiction, they said it was an American flag shirt, implying that is meant to look like it was made out of a flag. To me that means this:

AAAA415KTS.jpg

If it's a shirt with a picture of the flag on it that's a different story, but that isn't what was said.

thats allowable. what isnt allowable is taking an actual flag and fashioning it INTO a piece of clothing

Users who are viewing this thread