Stryker 340 pumps in a returnless setup?

stangman701

Rowing gears
Established Member
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has gotten these pumps to work in a returnless setup yet? My tuner and I have been trying to get my car tuned for a while now and we keep getting fuel spikes followed by the fuel pressure dropping off sharply.

My fuel setup consists of dual FPDM's with wiring upgrade, new Fore hat, twin Stryker 340's, BAP pre-FPDM, -8 line to stock rails, and 80# injectors.

The car runs great just cruising around, but if you give the throttle a quick blip under load then the fuel pressure will spike up to around 60 then fall sharply causing the car to buck then the pressure will steady back out to normal. I can still go WOT if I ease into it, but I can't shift quickly or the fuel pressure will spike again between gears.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this. Looking for ideas other than "go return". I know that's an option and may be what I have to do, but it seems like someone out there should have gotten these pumps to work in a returnless setup before.

TRBO VNM

They are a return style pump. Why did you even bother trying to put them in a returnless setup?

Either go return or buy gt pumps and do it right with twin fpdm's.

stangman701

Rowing gears
Established Member
They are a return style pump. Why did you even bother trying to put them in a returnless setup?

Either go return or buy gt pumps and do it right with twin fpdm's.

This is straight from Lethal's website...
The Strkyer pump is a turbine style pump similar to the Aeromotive Stealth pump so it can be run in return style configurations as well as in pulse modulated applications/returnless style systems.

I went with the Strykers instead of the GT's because the car made 673 RWHP on 93 and I wanted to make sure I had enough pump for when I get it tuned on E85. I think I'd be over the limit with GT pumps as they seem to max out right around 700 on E85.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Switch those out with twin GT or Aviators and add a 40 amp BAP if you wanna stay returnless.. BUT over 700 RW would benefit with a return.. and the setup I mentioned your duty cycle would be pretty high

Last edited:

evolve

Established Member
Ill trade you a couple of gt pumps with less than 4k miles for your strykers plus cash. PM me if you need to.

Black306

Established Member
Aeromotive Stealth and Lethal Stryker pumps are both turbine style pumps and work on a returnless system. Only reason GT pumps work so well in returnless sytems is cause Ford went through A LOT of trouble getting the fuel tables right. Ford isn't supplying tables for 340 pumps so it takes a tuner a bit more time to dial them in.

It sounds like to me your tables are just not accurate enough. You may just need to have your tuner do some more tweaking or switch to a tuner with more experience with Ford's returnless system.

stangman701

Rowing gears
Established Member
Aeromotive Stealth and Lethal Stryker pumps are both turbine style pumps and work on a returnless system. Only reason GT pumps work so well in returnless sytems is cause Ford went through A LOT of trouble getting the fuel tables right. Ford isn't supplying tables for 340 pumps so it takes a tuner a bit more time to dial them in.

It sounds like to me your tables are just not accurate enough. You may just need to have your tuner do some more tweaking or switch to a tuner with more experience with Ford's returnless system.

This is kind of what I'm thinking also. I'm using Eric Brooks and I feel like he's a fairly reputable tuner who should be up to the task, but so far we're still having issues.

TRBO VNM

This is straight from Lethal's website...

I went with the Strykers instead of the GT's because the car made 673 RWHP on 93 and I wanted to make sure I had enough pump for when I get it tuned on E85. I think I'd be over the limit with GT pumps as they seem to max out right around 700 on E85.

Well then go to lethal and get the data needed since they sold you pumps that should work but are giving you problems. GT pumps will support more than enough power compared to what you are looking to do.

I go with what I know works and is proven. You are the first person I have read about trying to use those pumps in returnees setup. I hate being a guinea pig and am sure you feel the same way now. I would definitely take up these offers to trade pumps. Less tuning headaches and down time.

Good luck. I have learned not to believe everything I read online.

CobraBoatDan

Water Snake
Established Member
I had an issue kind of like this when I got my car tuned. I also had the dual FPDM setup and one of them was bad causing the improper response from the pump.

stangman701

Rowing gears
Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I got a tip from a fellow member on how to modify the pumps to potentially make them work. I'm gonna give it a shot to see if it works.

Any other ideas out there?

I had an issue kind of like this when I got my car tuned. I also had the dual FPDM setup and one of them was bad causing the improper response from the pump.

Thanks for the tip. I just happen to have two more sitting in my garage that I haven't sold yet. Maybe I'll swap those in to see if there's any difference. :beer:

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
to my understanding the manufacture sais they can be used with returnless but tuners struggle tuning with them on returnless ....

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
to my understanding the manufacture sais they can be used with returnless but tuners struggle tuning with them on returnless ....

Chin chin we have a winner ! Is all in the tune / tuner to make them work , however they're a major pita to tune them via returnless style .. OP why not just get another pump ( 3 GT pumps ) and add another fpdm along with a hat ? 3 pumps , 3 fpdms can take a lot of HP ! Even with e85 you can still have room making 800whp. PS : if u staying returnless

Last edited:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
My 340 pumps work. Returnless, wire upgrade, dual fpdm. My tuner also says it's all about getting the fuel trims right. Get the tables adjusted.

watman02

Established Member
My 340 pumps work. Returnless, wire upgrade, dual fpdm. My tuner also says it's all about getting the fuel trims right. Get the tables adjusted.

Chin chin we have a winner ! Is all in the tune / tuner to make them work , however they're a major pita to tune them via returnless style .. OP why not just get another pump ( 3 GT pumps ) and add another fpdm along with a hat ? 3 pumps , 3 fpdms can take a lot of HP ! Even with e85 you can still have room making 800whp. PS : if u staying returnless
Im going to use this pump, what table are u referring too exactly^

Thanks for the responses guys. I got a tip from a fellow member on how to modify the pumps to potentially make them work. I'm gonna give it a shot to see if it works.
What was the tip??? id be interested since I'll be using this pump as well.
thanks

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Im going to use this pump, what table are u referring too exactly^

What was the tip??? id be interested since I'll be using this pump as well.
thanks

I have been trying for months now. car was tuned and ran fine for 4 days then couldn't keep running. thought Division x 340 pump had failed and sent to Lethal..2 months went by and finally got new pump. Plugged it in and car worked again drove great..then

2 weeks later pump seemed to do the same thing...I know they will "work" for awhile but don't seem to work for extended periods in returnless systems?

Maybe it is the tuner but why work for 2 weeks and then suddenly stop?

I have a 99 so will try the BBK hat and 300 LPH combo they sell for 99/01 Cobras.

My fuel hat is different so that may also affect the pump in my 99..but I have not heard of anyone in a returnless system getting the pumps to work.

I would be interested to see if anyone hasn't gotten the pumps to work for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
There was a couple guys on M1R that had used a single pump on eaton swaps with returnless systems fine. that's what Im planning on doing. are u lossing fuel pressure? fpdm failing? wiring issue?

Users who are viewing this thread