stroked motor advice

FordFanStan

Established Member
Nate, Clint, and 01WhiteL, I got your new PM/emails typed up, but the internet is so slow where I'm at out now, it will not send out an email today and everytime I try to access PM's the webpage will timeout, pretty sad huh lol. I will be sending them in an hour or two as soon as I get home and got good internet connection :beer: FFS

Last edited:

Enileate

Established Member
I have had nothing but great things to say about my stroker motor. 12,000 miles and still running strong. My advise would be to go for it!

FordFanStan

Established Member
Back on the internet woot woot. PM and Emails going out now.

Wrong Andy. Dante doesn't use offset wrist pins. He has always strayed from the idea and does not recommend them. So you also think you have a 358ci stroker now :lol:

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
I have had nothing but great things to say about my stroker motor. 12,000 miles and still running strong. My advise would be to go for it!
Who built it?
There is no need for an offset pin at all IMO, one point of view is it is just a cushion for a builder so he/she doesn't have to be a precise.

Stan,
If this is the case, please explain why DMP used offset wristpin/pistons in my $27K 351ci stroker motor?
Thats a good question.... I thought DMP used offset wrist pins in all their strokers until I read that

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
YUP. but, on mod motors as you know can only be punched out so far so in this app, just going to have to settle for boost.

meh you could always sleeve the bitch right into the water jacket and do a 375 cube monster :p

Last edited:

busakiller

Established Member
not off hand, i only remember this from reading a while back.
myself...id never sleeve a motor that far.

me either. thats why im curious. id be willing to bet its had some kind of failure if it was done awhile back and making more than 800rwhp. could be the cure for lack of displacement for all i know though...... :shrug:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
me either. thats why im curious. id be willing to bet its had some kind of failure if it was done awhile back and making more than 800rwhp. could be the cure for lack of displacement for all i know though...... :shrug:

i havent seen any posts bout his motor blowing up yet, so id assume his combo is working out.

FordFanStan

Established Member
i keep hearing about this but havent tried it myself.

stan, have you done this yet?

not off hand, i only remember this from reading a while back.
myself...id never sleeve a motor that far.

Busa, Dante built a Darton wet sleeved block back in 2002. At that time, there were alot of products that were not available today, namely correct gaskets for this setup. So it took a while to get it setup right, and then when it did anytime he boosted over 16psi it would blow head gaksets. That is with trying and experimenting with many different styles. Then he started dealing with SCE and sent them the correct measurments and other gaskets for a trial copper gasket. That is what is now known as the SCE Titan Copper gakset for that setup, however now they are much more refined and have the small silicone lined jackets etc. Now Comteic also makes a 3 layer MLS gasket for this setup. So to make a long story short, due to the lack of parts available at that time, the setup never worked under much boost, however when it did run, it ran extremely strong he said.

Now there are also other options, like dry sleeving a GT block, or just purchasing the SHM blokc that is designed for the larger bore size, both of which are lighter weight adn have alot more structural integrity than the NVH blocks, adn especially when you hog them out all the way to install the large wet sleeves. Some other pro builders even strictly advise against ever sleeving a cast iron block, and say ONLY in an aluminum block.

With all this said in defense of the setup, there is one person who had VT build them a Darton wet sleeved 358 back in 2005/6 iirc, he is a member on Nloc, and his ran strong for one year, and then there were some problems with the tune which led to piston failure iirc. He is in the process of rebuilding that setup now. Other than him, there is not one other perosn that has built and ran this setup for more than a couple weeks.

Hope that helps some, FFS

busakiller

Established Member
^^nice. good info.

i think im gonna talk the next customer that wants to use a GT block into punching the piss out of it and sleeving it. i wanna do some trial and error here. hell, if it works, i'll punch mine out.

ill make sure he owns a mustang instead of an L. i can have the motor out of a mustang in less than an hour and theres no gaddamn cab to lift off...

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
^^nice. good info.

i think im gonna talk the next customer that wants to use a GT block into punching the piss out of it and sleeving it. i wanna do some trial and error here. hell, if it works, i'll punch mine out.

ill make sure he owns a mustang instead of an L. i can have the motor out of a mustang in less than an hour and theres no gaddamn cab to lift off...

I'll PM you a bit more info a little later today or tonight bud. FFS

Users who are viewing this thread